Salt Ice Comox to CR

tortuga

So we used to get salt ice from Salish Seafoods Comox but it's closed now.
What are the other options between Comox and CR?
Thanks

Ditto for CR Sea Foods... but call first as they are a seafood processor and are open when they have fish. That may change this summer I was told.

Boatland is by far the best deal, but it is not salt ice, maybe buy more? Easiest to load and about 1/2 price of Salt Ice. Make the odd ocktail with it too until the guts and slime get on it.
CR Seafoods has best salt ice but has a short season, not sure they open until maybe July.
High Tide may have some but not that accessible.
Car Wash near River Sportsman, I found it to be a ripoff either eating coins or spitting out a little bit of slush

Thank guys.
shouldve mention we’re going to Winter Harbour and just talked to Hardy Buoys.
In Hardy
they have salt ice all day every day.
we are good.

Ditto for CR Sea Foods... but call first as they are a seafood processor and are open when they have fish. That may change this summer I was told.
Yup - went through CR just before Canada long last year and the place looked like it was permanently shuttered…no fish no open.

Thank guys.
shouldve mention we’re going to Winter Harbour and just talked to Hardy Buoys.
In Hardy
they have salt ice all day every day.
we are good.
Ya Hardy Buoys is the best bet. Just wrap around the back side by their loading dock. I’d call QR and make sure they have ice. Nice to have a top up option in WH.

Boatland is by far the best deal, but it is not salt ice, maybe buy more? Easiest to load and about 1/2 price of Salt Ice. Make the odd ocktail with it too until the guts and slime get on it.
CR Seafoods has best salt ice but has a short season, not sure they open until maybe July.
High Tide may have some but not that accessible.
Car Wash near River Sportsman, I found it to be a ripoff either eating coins or spitting out a little bit of slush
French Creek Seafood was, for many years, our go-to place for salt ice, when we bought a whole tote for $35. However, in recent years the old lady, who seems to run the fish store, began complaining that us sport fishermen were "stealing her ice"??? so she began charging us $100 CASH for a whole tote, which filled 4 coolers plus two fish bins on the boat. She claimed the commercial fishermen were complaining that sport fishermen did not have their own tote, hence should not even be served!
In July 2023 she really became the "ICE ****" and ripped us off, charging $90 CASH for 3 large coolers, but the 1/4 tote she brought filled only 2. We asked her to bring the remainder of what we had paid for, but she refused, telling us it would cost an additional $60 CASH for 2 more coolers. We paid, because it was the only salt ice option available (I understand Campbell River Seafood has since opened and will sell salt ice for a more reasonable price) on our way from Nanaimo to Gold River.
I suspect the old lady is ripping both her owners and us fishermen off, and the cash is kept by her!
If CR Seafood is not open next year when we pass thru, we will use CR Boatland and get extra ice on the way back, if needed.

Back