Salmon Strike 2 ( Downrigger Footage )

Salmon Strikes 2! - The Sequel (Downrigger Footage)

Hi everyone,
The following is our latest downrigger footage of salmon and trout strikes. Most footage was taken between 60 and 100 feet down over 200 to 320 feet of water. A bit of a challenge for the small sensor camera but the final footage cleaned up reasonable well.

Hope you enjoy!

[bGOx0az3hUE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGOx0az3hUE&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited by a moderator:
Great footage! Quite surprised by how hard the salmon have to work to hit a lure behind a flasher!

Good job.

Great footage! Quite surprised by how hard the salmon have to work to hit a lure behind a flasher!

Good job.

Thanks Finished Business. Towards the end of the video the swells were between 3 and 4 feet and we would normally run longer leaders to dampen the movement a bit. Only problem with that is that they wouldn't appear on video because the cameras are only good for about 6 or 8 feet of visibility at that depth ... so we had to make them work a bit!

Awesome vid again man. I love it and I shared your footage with all my fishing buddies. We have a question though, how far back are you running the spin doctors from the cannon balls? Thanks,
Dan

Awesome vid again man. I love it and I shared your footage with all my fishing buddies. We have a question though, how far back are you running the spin doctors from the cannon balls? Thanks,
Dan

Thanks SteelyDan! In order to pick them up on camera we could only run them about 3 feet or less behind the balls with about 16 inch leads to the fly. When the water was rougher towards the end of the video (3-5 foot swells) we would have done better with longer leads that would have dampened some of the more erratic movement - but we would never have seen it!

Thanks SteelyDan! In order to pick them up on camera we could only run them about 3 feet or less behind the balls with about 16 inch leads to the fly. When the water was rougher towards the end of the video (3-5 foot swells) we would have done better with longer leads that would have dampened some of the more erratic movement - but we would never have seen it!

Wow, I feel funny letting out anything less than 12-15 feet of line before attaching my release clip. Goes to show you, you don't need much and Salmon are definitely not boat or leader shy or shy of the ball and camera either.

Cool video. I wish someone would do that out here on the coast. Does anyone know what happened to all of that old Charlie White footage? There was some interesting stuff there, too.

Dave

Wow, I feel funny letting out anything less than 12-15 feet of line before attaching my release clip. Goes to show you, you don't need much and Salmon are definitely not boat or leader shy or shy of the ball and camera either.

We were very skeptical to begin with as well since normally ran lines at 15 or 20 feet off the ball. Not only were we moving the lines within a couple of feet of the ball but we also added a camera housing between the two! In the end, I believe everything acted as a big attractor.

So how did you attach it to the ball? And to what depth can you use the GoPro. I have one but did you make any mods to
It?

We're working on the 'How-To' video now, Big Green Machine for attaching the GoPro. They are rated to 197 feet and we've had ours to 110 for over 4 hours at a time (give or take a fish or two). No problems at all. We use the GoPro dive housings with all of our GoPro's.

Back