Salmon Sport Head Recovery Program

GLG

Sent one in yet? Got 2 and am waiting for the letters to come back.
They asked me for weight and length. So next time I will measure.
Did notice that they were small compared to others I caught same day

I never measure them just give them the weight and location ect.Last year I actually won a shimano rod and reel from sending in heads. First time I won anything from sending in heads for over twenty years.

I just sent a head in. But didnt see anything about winning anything. Do they still do that? Hope so.

My son sent one in last year. They sent him a nice letter and a pin for his hat. He was very excited.

I've stopped participating in the head recovery program. I feel that it's a good way to get an area closed. Prime example is the inside closure from Nanaimo to Saanich inlet. All my prime inside areas are now closed to chinnok retention. A little cynical? Maybe, but that's how I feel.

If fisheries can't rely on us, sending in data that's reguested, how do we know what they're basing their decisions on? The marked fish are hatchery fish. I believe that the closures were introduced to protect the decline of wild stocks and that the 'factory' nooks are used as a barometer for return assesments of the wild fish.

Maybe the closures were implemented because the readings on the barometer were so low, DFO felt that the wild stocks needed protecting?

If only you sent in them fish that they asked you to... The results would've been different and maybe you'd still be fishing?

Just another perspective is'all. Something to think about (hmmmmm). :)

If you do not send in heads then they (DFO) make decisions with what they have.
If they have nothing they will err on the conservation side as they have no choice.

Tha's fine, I realize that. The inside closure was to protect Cowichan river fish. BUT... The natives are still allowed to decimate the salmon in the river by spearing, and the winter fishery off Campbell river continues on the rearing ground of these chinook. When it's fair for all then I will participate. Besides, not one of the heads I turned in before from this area were ever Cowichan River chinnok.

Back