Salmon for sale on Craigslist

Sitkaspruce

Just found this on Craigslist.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/hsh/1118866119.html

FN or someone trying to make a quick buck or a commercial guy who decided to store some pinks in his feezer until the spring???

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Because, if I understand the rules, they can sell salmon, caught under permit. Not basing them, just put out the different options as to who would be selling fish on Craigslist. It is something I have not seen on there in a long while.

I also once saw moose meat being sold on there, they were soon investigated by the province and charged.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I saw the same thing on used Victoria a while back.
Reported it to DFO since there was no openings....shortly there after the Ad was gone.

Wasn't trying to point fingers just curious.

Who would want to buy a Pink.. frozen non the less. Can you say mushy? I bet it wouldn't be much different than a farmed fish!!

I only take what I need, and I don't need Pinks!

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin

Who would want to buy a Pink.. frozen non the less. Can you say mushy? I bet it wouldn't be much different than a farmed fish!!

I only take what I need, and I don't need Pinks!
LOL!!
I thought the same thing-some poor bastage is being ripped off bad! [:eek:)][V]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

I like pinks? Awesome fish if properly taken care of after being caught.
If that is done it stays very firm for days in a slush or on ice. Makes for a good smoked product or fresh on the bbq:D

I'm with Twinwinds on this one. Pinks are bashed when if a little effort is put forth they can fool the undiscerning pallet and actually taste quite nice. Keep the fillets on the rare side and only lighty dressed with lemon and apple juice and supplement the lack of oil with olive or butter while on the flame.

Garnish with a few spears of asparagus and a side of mango and avocado salsa

Enjoy:)

quote:Originally posted by twinwinds

I like pinks? Awesome fish if properly taken care of after being caught.
:D

By "properly taken care of..." I assume that you mean: Cut into chunks, threaded onto the largest circle hook available and soaked in salt water at a depth of 240' until eaten by a Halibut. [:eek:)]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Only thing wrong with pinks is they got a bad rep from the days when the gillnetters and seiners were the only ones catching them, and icing and processing wasn't always the fastest - hence canned pinks were the norm.
I'm with Twinwinds and Highlights, catch em, clean em, ice em, and they taste just fine.
Besides, they are about the only thing I can be pretty sure of catching (every other year).

sushihunter has got it right - dirty old halibut bait is what they're for.

you guys keep telling yourself its good eating as you choke back another bite [:p]

A fresh Pink is eatable, but a forzen one? common! Once they are in the freezer the only thing their good for is bait! I don't even keep the fresh ones! I did catch a 14 3/4 pound pink before, at the time I was only about 1/2 pound off the world record. I think I ate it too!

Take only what you need.

I just checked the world records for salmon!

Atlantic 79.2 pounds 1928
Coho 33.4 pounds Sept 27, 1989
Chum 35 pounds July 11, 1995
Chinook 97.4 pounds May 17, 1985
Pink 13.1 pounds Sept 23, 1992
Sockeye 15.3 pounds Aug 9, 1987

I guess I hold the world record for largest pink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I have to wonder where the 15.5 pounder went from the list? OHH well yay me!!!

Take only what you need.

We caught some monster Pinks trolling commercially in front of the Fraser.....big hump back mothers........[:p]

The lowley pink is the best fish to get kids and other hooked on fishing. I grew up at Otter point and when the pinks were in, we kids would have a blast. We would bring home our limit, set up the canner and get canning. Helped us through the winter months for school sandwiches (no cafeteria at the Metchosin school). And flash frozen pinks in a vacum sealed bag are still good months later, just need to look after them when they come on board the boat.

And if you catch pinks for hali bait, you should get used to eating them, because it could be that and chums may be all we can catch, if things keep going the way they might.

Humpies Rule!!!!:D:)

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I've caught pinks in the teens before, I don't think anyone is running ahead to claim the worlds biggest pink prize. Kinda like the biggest dogfish prize I think.

But they are an abundant supply of protean that cans well. Not that I'd go out of my way to do it with ample fresh Chinook available off Victoria 12 months of the year :D

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Hey Lastchance, is your boat a Hourston? I think I seen you in the Browns bay chum derby last year, right? Thats a really sweet lookin boat!

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I caught a 14.9 pound pink off sooke 4 years ago! called it a Sprink. I was suprised when it took line :p

So i guess im close to the world record too!

-Steve

Back