salmon fishing near sansum narrows

W

Wagonmaster

I have a friend who just moved to Saltspring Island. He lives on the northwest side opposite the pulpmill. He purchased an 18ft. Whaler, so is fairly mobile and wants to get into salmon fishing. He winches his boat into a shed, so trailering it is not really an option. Is there any fishing to be had in that area at any time of year? How far would he have to travel to have at least the occasional bit of success? Info from anyone with local knowledge would be much appreciated.

If he's in Vesuvius then Polier Pass, between Galiano and Valdez Islands is not that far. The salmon fishing through the gap there and outside the pass into Georgia Strait, is often good. I don't fish over there anymore so I don't know if anything is happening right now. Use the search function on this board and enter Polier Pass, you should get some more detailed info.
T2

Outside Porlier and in Sansum Narrows (Bold Bluff and south) are his best bets. Most fishing is for winter springs. Between February and June are the best months. If he really puts his time in and learns some spots he can do fairly well over the course of the season.
Just a reminder that the minimum size limit is 62 cm in these areas.

Back