Salmon Extinction

You are right with your anger RM, we need to take on one task at the time and the fish farm issue is one impact factor that can be controlled by us relatively quick - unlike climate change where we as Canadians have little and only slow influence. RM, your energy and drive to do something is good and you should use it to start a campagne. We need people like you to spearhead actions. Become active in your community, organize ralleys, collect signatures, send letters, start an anti-fishfarm association - whatever is appropriate to raise awareness and attract the interest of politicians. Because they will eventually have to change the practices... Maybe you approach some local politicans in your area and ask them for their opinion and try to tell them your view...It's a long road for little success first but you got to start somewhere if it is that important to you. Believe me (I speak from experience with related issues), you will have a lot of followers that back you up but campagnes like that need first of all leaders that have the energy like you seem to have. Good luck! I think you can count on almost any of us here for support.

Howdy,

Bang-on RM...

With the passing of a sagacious politician's hand... so went 'photo-radar'...

...and so too, will pass open-net pen fishfarming; exterminated at the hand of BC's sportfishing community.

Count me in! (We need a plan and an organization)

'Lock'n - load!'

"Happy New Year - to all... including our Wild BC Salmon!"
</u>
Terry

quote:'Lock'n - load!'

Wow Hawk. I used to say that when I was 10 years old after watching a Rambo movie. Anyway you guys point the fingers where you want. Personally I would focus elsewhere but you three sound like you have made your minds up and that is fine. For the record I am not changing the subject, I am just being open minded. There is a difference.

Barbender, I think you will find there is a lot more than three. I don't think you realise how many of us on this forum are passionately against open pen salmon farming and the damage it does to the wild stocks. You will never ever convince me otherwise.

well i see this has become a sizable debate once again (who knew), havent all these pro/con posts been slammed back and forth in many other formats on this site, with the majority of this sites members being against fishfarms, even after , tryin to shed just mabye a little bit of light, but no chance, FISH FARM BAD , i have posted MANY time before and i will post it again if your pro fishfarm you can and will pull any and all 'studies' or whatever that support FISH FARM GOOD.... if on the other hand your con fish farm the same goes for that group of people. NO one side is going to change the minds of the other,
ensure the future practice C&R

quote:You will never ever convince me otherwise
Hey Gallows I respect your viewpoint. I know a lot of people feel the same way you do. My posts here are not to convince you otherwise. My posts here are just to try and deflect some of the misconceptions about aqauculture that exist here. Hopefully it will at the very least question some of the rhetoric being bantered about...or maybe not. No one wants wild salmon numbers to rebound here on the coast more than I do.
quote:Single events like the Hells Gate blockage are not good but nature is able to compensate for this. Over the millions of years,
I agree Chris. But unfortunately we dont have millions of years to recuperate. I will be too old to fish by then.

The westcoast fishing industry has it's problems on all levels-from the seemingly indifferent stance of the government to the recreational fisher that violates the reg's.Each side has a finger to point at the other,and no-one seems willing to cooperate.Do you think the fish farmers will work with the government at the price of their profit margin?Will the commercial industry and the water conservation societies even talk?
My point is that no one solution exists that can reverse the damage done.Trusting the government to act as the "fix-all" will not yield any results.Every level must be addressed personally;the farming companies,the commercial fishermen,forestry companies,etc.
We need one voice,with advocates from every sector who will confront all</u> issues,and everyone</u> who affects our limited natural resource.
I believe this forum holds people who can fit this criteria.We have a platform to share our thoughts and information,and we can become a body that can act-not just talk.
I am ready to be a voice,how about the rest of you?

Barbender:
quote:...But unfortunately we dont have millions of years to recuperate. I will be too old to fish by then...

Just just keep taking those steriods you have featured in the other category and you will for sure fish in a million years! :D

HB:
quote:...I am ready to be a voice,how about the rest of you?...

What are you proposing?

I have a question!!!!! Who on this forum besides ME has fished in the Broughton Archipelago for the last 15 years? Can you please tell me where the spring salmon runs in May have gone for the Kingcome and Wakeman rivers. Or why in the last 7 years Pink salmon fishing is getting worse and worse. Last year I fished the first two weeks of August in Fife a once Super Highway for pink salmon. I caught 1 fish and it was a silver (thanks Scott Cove hatchery). Now one thing you will say might be "well it was an odd year and they are not in that area" YOU would be wrong, as the Broughton Archipelago is an amazing place. It has pink salmon runs every year.
Its part of the north runs and part of the south runs. Bender you may call Morton a wack but the facts are there. When farms started in the Broughton Archipelago Morton was all for it. She thought it would help the wild salmon population, which in turn would bring back her true love to the area the ORCA. So much that she enlisted Billy Proctor (if you don't know who he is you should do some research. He is an amazing man) to help the farms in the placement of the pens as to not be in the migratory routes and good fishing grounds. Sadly Billy made them a map. Every place Billy said there was a good fishing ground or area they put a farm and the rest is sad history. Mr. Barbender I challenge you to find Billy Proctor and talk to him about it he lives in Echo Bay hop in your boat head on over to his private museum and have a look around and a nice chat. There is a problem in the Broughton Archipelago and soon the one place I consider MY FAVORITE PLACE ON EARTH WILL BE wild salmon less. I have been called an interloper and other names because I am from the U.S. but I will retire to the Broughton someday. You don’t have to be Canadian to love Canada.

Peace out
GIMP

Hey Gimp. I appreciate your passion and will look up the gentleman in question. I am always interested in what more intelligent people than me have to say on the subject. I am open to anything. I have also promised myself that if Aquaculture is the cause of the demise of our west coast salmon then I would resign my position asap. I do not know how fishing was in the Broughton this year so I cannot comment on that. Although I can say fishing was way off up and down the coast (Alaska included). Actually fishing world wide is way down (for all species) so we are not unique in that regard. You name the species and it is down again. The only exception would be commercially species that are new to harvesting (grenadiers etc).

Howdy,

Hooch and Gimp - I too, appreciate your passion on this topic and hope you both stay/get actively involved in opposition to net-pen fishfarming. Gimp, I hope you realize your dream; you can fish off my boat anytime.

Barbender: Your "deflecting... rhetoric..." tactics are standard-verbal-response-ammo among fishfarmers, and I for one am getting weary of it. How, with a clear conscience, can you say (out of one-side of your mouth) that you really do care about sportfishing and wild-salmon in BC, while (out of the other side of your mouth) you continue to defend this terrible industry?

You are, in my view - the quintesential hypocrite.

What concerns me moreso, is that there are other supporters of this disgusting-industry out there who are truly influential amoung government and well connected to the sportfishing community.

In 2001-2002 (about the time our sagacious government lifted the moratorium on expansion of the industry), while doing research for an article I wrote on fishfarming, I had a phone conversation with Bob Wright (Oak Bay Marine Group) in an effort to get his take on the fishfarming industry in BC; he was kind enough to give me several minutes of his time.

One thing he said to me has rung in my ear ever since that conversation. He summed up his opinion on the situation by saying, to the effect, "...I think we should keep fishfarms to feed the masses and keep all the wild-salmon for the sportie's..."

With all due respect to Bob Wright, I do not know if his opinion has changed in the last five years or so since we talked.

But his words still haunt me to this day. Imagine, someone as celebrated as he, someone whose pocket-book has swollen for so many years on the fruits of the BC sportfishing industry, taking such a stance on this industry. It mystifies me.

Hooch, I too, count myself among the many on this forum who have had enough of our governments ignorance and complaisance with respect to fishfarming. Like many, I have been moved to try to do something about it. In 2001, I did rather exhaustive research on the industry in Canada and abroad then wrote an essay on the Canadian Industry; wrote a feature article on fishfarming (BC Outdoors/Sportfishing Magazine); attended the Leggatt Hearings on Fishfarming (Campbell River); attended (as an Independant Sportfisherman) a fishfarming-conference in Vancouver(02')that was also attended by representatives from the Suzuki Foundation, the Sierra Club, the Steelhead Society, the Georgia Straight Alliance, and others. The meeting soon degenerated into a shootin'-match of the whose-who in BC's Environmentalist movement and I soon lost interest. The only thing I remember coming of it was that the Sierra Legal Defence people were going to investigate the possibility of mounting a Court challenge against our Government.

Since I had my article published in 2002 I have been laying low, watching, and waiting to see what developes... nothing. The situation has only worsened.

During my research of the industry I became connected to many around the globe who are also vehemently opposed to net-pen fishfarming. I could easily reestablish these contacts and know that I could count on their advise and support as I throw my hat back into the ring to renew the battle to abolish this industry.

I have much invested already; there's no point in quitting.

Those of you out there who are of the same mind (enough is enough), ready yourselves for a scrape. Practice your swordplay with your stoutest halibut rod (weapon of choice for skewering collusive politician's) as we proceed to organize a 'United Sportfisherman's Army... no, make that Alliance (Army's too militant maybe)' against net-pen fishfarming.

I am of the firm opinion that both the DFO and the Provincial Ministry of Lands and Parks are - as elected stewards of the resource - in a direct conflict of interest and should be subject to a nationwide 'non-confidence' referendum, or, at the very least, a Supreme Court Challenge.

Perhaps we could join forces with the BCWF and bring serious political weight to bear on the powers that be.

What us Sportfisherman of BC need to do is get ORGANIZED</u>!
(Don't ya just hate the sound of that word Barbender?)

"I'M LEAVING 'WILD-FISH' FOR MY KIDS!"
</u>

Cheers,
Terry Anderson

LITTLE HAWK

Thanks for what you wrote finally someone who has seen first hand and been involved with this issue in a professional matter,very nice to see someone finally step up who has been there.

Thank you

Wolf

You are right on with my thoughts little hawk!Does anyone know someone with BCWF that may indulge an interest group such as ours?It would be a good first step in creating a base for all interested to organize.
I will be away for the next two weeks,so in lieu of myself posting a new thread,perhaps someone else may do so.I am looking for credible information which can be taken to different organizations to lobby.
I will be gathering names of people whom we can "enlighten" so all information would be appreciated!

I have also promised myself that if Aquaculture is the cause of the demise of our west coast salmon then I would resign my position asap. Unquote Barbender.

That's mighty big of you Barbender. So after it is ruined and the big corporations continue to make millions because there is no other "game" in town i.e. "real fish". You will apologise. "Sorry I guess I was wrong". How about for once we,us, be proactive rather than reactive and actually take the advice/warning from other countries that told us to get the farms on land.

I'm no expert on this whole subject but I think if you see what has happened in other parts of the world and continue down the path to ruin then to me this usually points the reason to one thing..GREED

Unfortuneately this is usually the "root of all evil" seven deadly sins and all. If there's lots of money to be made then look out. Most Politicians are spineless and won't do the right thing if it won't get them re-elected. To fight powerful lobbyists for fish farms requires equally powerful organisations and the will of the people to speak up to these jellyfish we call politicians. (No pun intended)

That being said about fish farms, unfortuneately the whole decline in fishing is more complicated. As for all the other reasons and possibilities for the decline, as we all know this is very complicated and difficult to solve. To reverse the trend in decline could require somebody, or all of us to give up what we love to do ...fish. No fishing means no money comeing back in for a lot of businesses. Back to that money thing again. Enough said. I wish I had the magical answer.

Dave Shirley

Once again the Governments will kill fish to make money.

Fraser River will be dredged in new year
Flood Risk: Action after close call in spring

Glenda Luymes
The Province

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Gravel removal will begin on the Fraser River early in the new year in a bid to reduce the risk of spring flooding, provincial public safety minister John Les vowed Friday.

After flooding was narrowly avoided in the Fraser Valley this spring, the Ministry of Public Safety was given oversight of the controversial Fraser River gravel-removal program.

"Our sole motivation for removing gravel is flood protection," said Les. "At the end of the day, we don't want to be playing Russian roulette with the safety of citizens in the Fraser Valley and Lower Mainland."

Les could not comment on how much gravel would be removed in 2008, saying only that he hoped it would be close to the target amount established four years ago.

"It would be nice if we were able to achieve that, for once," he said.

In 2001, the provincial and federal governments signed an agreement lifting a moratorium on gravel removal, and in 2004, a five-year deal allowed for the removal of 500,000 cubic metres of gravel each year for two years and 420,000 cubic metres after that.

In the four years since then, only 320,000 cubic metres in total have come out. Minimal amounts were removed this year.

Les said the contracts for gravel removal will still undergo a rigorous approval process, with input from the environment ministry, but conceded there was a "renewed sense of urgency" after the close call last spring.

The Fraser River gravel-removal program has long been contentious.

While as much as 300,000 cubic metres of gravel washes into the river near Chilliwack each year, raising the river bottom, environmentalists are concerned about the risk dredging poses to fish stocks.

A study published last spring by the federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans concluded large-scale dredging of gravel from the Fraser would be ineffective in reducing the flood risk, while a report by the Fraser Basin Council found it could have some impact.

Critics claim government and industry support gravel removal because there is profit to be made.

But Les insists that's not true.

"The private sector has lots of other sources for gravel. It's very debatable whether it's even financially viable to take the gravel out. The government may have to subsidize some aspects of it," he said.

Chilliwack Mayor Clint Hames said he's happy to hear the government commit to gravel removal, but would like to see a comprehensive, long-term strategy for flood protection established.

"I'm really hopeful that this is the beginning of a different sort of legacy for the Fraser River, where public safety is at the forefront," he said.

gluymes@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2007

Howdy,

Dave Shirley - my hat's off to you man.

Finally, someone working in the industry who realizes that although one can always find a new way to make a buck - once our WILD-SALMON ARE GONE... THEY ARE GONE - FOREVER!</u>

Hoochie: I think we're on the same page. My suggestion is that we - all parties on the SFBC Forum opposed to net-pen fishfarming - organize ourselves as a group, ie. a central registry of names/email addresses. I attach great importance to gathering as many names to add to this new group of soldiers as possible.

With numbers comes weight and political clout.

Once we are organized, then, we can plot strategy and decide who else we might join forces with to achieve our goal: THE END OF NET-PEN FISHFARMING ON THE PACIFIC COAST OF CANADA.

Thus far the opposition to fishfarming (commercial fishing sector/scientific-community/First Nations/general public-sportsfishermen/environmental groups. etc) has produced little results towards eliminating the environmental/ecological damage this industry has bestowed upon our formerly pristine coastline. Although many sportfishermen (like myself) have voiced their concerns about this industry, individually, our cries fall on deaf ears; collectively, it will be a different story.

I readily admit there are several factors that have, over time, contributed to the demise of our beloved Wild-Salmon. Eliminating the fishfarm threat is but one small step in the road to recovery. Once we send the Norwegians and the Dutch packing for other - distant - ecosytems to infect with their filthy business, we - the SPORTFISHINGBC.COM Brotherhood - can channel our collective clout/energy into addressing other equally pressing issues affecting our wild-fish.

I ask you, "What more noble cause or effect could the SFBC Forum persue?"

As I mentioned before, I am of the firm belief that no-one - but NO-ONE - in the opposition to this industry, is better positioned or more readily able to bring a Death-Blow to this industry than are we - us men and women and children who, with fishing rods in hand, hunt and chase these great creatures with such passion and intensity that we will surely - be the last to stand idle and watch them go...

As it is the 'Hunter's' themselves who contribute the most to the conservation and vitality of BC's big-game populations, so too, it will be the 'Sportfishermen' who ensure the long-term survivability of BC's Pacific Coast Wild Salmon.

Forgive me if I'm a little long-winded, but I have a couple more points I'd like to make:

Those of us like Hooch, forum members,(and hopefully the SFBC Owners/moderators) and myself who are ready to contribute time and hard-drive space to launching this war - and don't kid yourselves; it will be a war - must realize that if you choose to join this cause, you must be in for the duration as we will ALL be counting on you.

Many have talked about how terrible net-pen fishfarming is yet, when called upon to actually do something about it, they are nowhere to be seen or heard. (I witnessed this first-hand a few years back while working as a bartender at the old Westwind Pub in Langford, when the Liberals were about to stuff Bill C-68/Gun Control up our butts. Many hunters and shooters were amoung my good customers and they (like me) sure did squauck and complain about the proposal. I got wind about a protest down on the front lawn of the Legislature - organized by the BCWF I think - and personally handed out posters and leaflets to all the hunters and shooters at the pub and vigorously encouraged all to attend the rally. Sadly, on the big day, I counted my hunting companion and myself as the only ones from the Westwind crowd.)

Another concern is how the Industry will respond to this latest rallying of the troops against them. Trust me, they are watching and they will respond. (After my article was published in BC Outdoors/Sportfishing Magazine in May/02', I recieved a phonecall from an irate representative from Nutreco (Holland- then, the General Motors of our planet's fishfarming industry) asking me, "Why have you done this?"(slammed our industry).

Although that article - the product of many hours of work - made but a small wave, I am fully prepared to write another article in an effort to bring more (circulation 60 to 70-thousand) sportfishermen on board for this important cause. I'm also planning to post a new topic heading (on both this and the Saltwater Forum) to alert my fellow SFBC-Forum members of the official birth of this new-movement/organization so they too can join the opposition and have their voice heard.

If the staff/Owners/moderators of SFBC aren't prepared to throw the SFBC name, organization and hard drive space for a registry behind this cause - TO ELIMINATE NET-PEN FISHFARMING FROM OUR WATERS - then I will. (Albeit, why wouldn't SFBC get on board? After all, once all the wild-fish are gone, what would they do? What would they call themselves? C.E.F.F.com (Catching Escaped Farm Fish.com)

Perhaps someone from SFBC could step-up and officially respond on behalf of the outfit.

Out of respect for the owners of the website, the SFBC Organization and Moderators, as well as my fellow Forum Members, I will refrain from posting any further rallying cries or invitations to join 'a-war' until I get sufficient feedback or encouragement to do so.

My name is Terry Anderson, I'm an Independant Canadian-Sportfisherman and -

"I'M LEAVING WILD-FISH FOR MY KIDS!" </u>

Terry

Any protest or writing you need backing on regarding this ill put my name to it as I have seen first hand in the 15 years of fishing knight inlet and seen its effects and seen HOW many pens are there every year bang a new one has been put in a bay.

One of my favorites spots used to be sargaunts pass there has been a farm in there now for 12 years and we used to get hali and salmon in there all the time NOT now all you get is a slick on the surface sometimes and you dont dare troll near it I think they have wires or something near a really good gaer grabber.

You have my backing %200 let me know what I can do to help!!!!

Wolf

Terry, just to clarify, I'm not in the fish farming industry. It sounded like that in your reply.I'm just a humble carpenter turned firefighter.You can certainly add my name to any list that is in favour of getting rid of any fish farms or at least moving them to land.

Back