Salmon Conservation Stamp

Federal Budget Announcement Benefits Salmon
The Pacific Salmon Foundation and the salmon community celebrated a momentous occasion today. The Federal Budget announced the return of 100 per cent of Salmon Stamp revenues to British Columbia through the Pacific Salmon Foundation! Thank you to all who wrote in support of our proposal and who have helped support us through the years. Please see below the statement from our president:

STATEMENT OF DR. BRIAN RIDDELL, PACIFIC SALMON FOUNDATION
Federal Budget Calls For Salmon Conservation Stamp User Fees to Stay In B.C.

Vancouver – Dr. Brian Riddell, president and CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, made the following statement today responding to the release of the 2013 federal budget. When enacted the budget will return 100 per cent of user fees collected from sales of the Recreational Fisheries Conservation Stamp, commonly known as the Salmon Conservation Stamp, be directed to community salmon conservation, restoration and enhancement activities funded by the Pacific Salmon Foundation. Since 1996, the Foundation has received $1.00 from the sale of each $6.00 adult stamp purchased, and 4.00 from each stamp purchased by a juvenile under 16 years of age.

Dr. Riddell said: “I commend the Government of Canada for making sure that each dollar an angler pays for the Salmon Conservation Stamp is returned to B.C. to support Pacific salmon conservation and restoration. This change will result in significant investments in our fisheries that will be looked upon favorably by recreational and commercial fishers, First Nations, coastal communities and conservationists. I am grateful that this proposal received broad support from a range of stakeholders who care about Pacific salmon, including business leaders, recreational and commercial fishing interests, and volunteer streamkeepers. Special thanks is due to MP Andrew Saxton, who championed this proposal, as well as MP Randy Kamp for his leadership as parliamentary secretary for Fisheries and Oceans, as well as Minister James Moore, the senior minister in B.C., who offered leadership on behalf of the proposal within Cabinet. My sincerest thanks to all those involved!”

great news. lets keep the conservation money where it belongs

The budget says 1 million this year and 1 million next year for PSF
Still a heck of a lot less then commercials and feedlots are getting.
There is a 10 million (over 2 years) program for Improving the Conservation of Fisheries Through Community Partnerships.... Don't know much about it at this point.... Probably something for Ontario...:rolleyes:

Took long enough! Every bit helps. Much more is needed,but It's a start anyways.

Like a magician or a pickpocket, it is not the distraction hand that is giving you a little something you have to watch. It is the other hand that is both in your middle class pocket and cutting everything you value many times more than the little distraction they hand out.

This is great news (if really true), long awaited and needed. So if this happens, can we now look at increasing the value of the stamp so that we can start to create funding that will really make an impact to the restoration of the fisheries and provide the resources to the volunteers that have for years been working tirelessly to clean up streams, restore habitat, take eggs, educate youth (and general public),,, the list goes on,,,

I would be happy to pay more, as I have heard many others also say before, IF we knew that the money collected actually came back here and went directly back into the fishery!

A step in the right direction!

FH

It is my understanding that any increase would have to pass the hurdle of the bogus user fee act that has tied the hands of the SFAB from increasing license fees. I am sure there are more knowledgeable on here than I on the subject.

Giving back money to PSF is a good political move for Harper, especially when he is gutting the DFO. Throwing the people who give a damn about Salmon a bone, but trying to underscore the millions of dollars cuts to DFO? Smells fishy to me.

Simple big green...don't vote for Harper and just be happy any stamp increase would put more fish in the water for you and I to catch. Or we could ask Harper to go back to $1.00 for PSF, you obviously still won't vote for Harper and the waters around here will continue to decline to an ocean desert. Your choice.

As I said on another thread - I question why we have to pay for fishing licenses and salmon stamps at all. After all, as Canadians, why should we have to pay anything to go out and catch something that we rightfully own anyway?

Back