Salmon Candy Troubles

Steelhead S2

Cleaned out the freezer this weekend and smoked the last of last year's fish. Made a batch of my standard, which is good as ever. Also took a run at candy, for only the second time. It's still in, but seems like a failure. The piece I ate is super salty, and not sweet.

My method was to salt the fish. Then rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse. Then coat heavily in brown sugar and leave it overnight. As I recall, this is how we did it at the fish store. But it might not work for me.

Thoughts or pointers?

I make a sugar(demarra) salt mixture-1kg pack of sugar to 1/2 to 5/8 cup of sea salt-no more. Pack fish strips in this mixture for 4 days-I take it out every day-stir the brine up making sure all sugar is desolved. After 2 nd day you could add pepper flakes garlic etc. Nothing salty like soy sauce. Evening of 4th day take it out of brine-(no need to rinse) put it on racks uncovered in the fridge to dry. Smoke at very low heat next day until required level of doneness is reached. Hope that helps.

My method was to salt the fish. Then rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse. Then coat heavily in brown sugar and leave it overnight. Thoughts or pointers?

I use a dry rub to create brine, like S.F. does. The amount of time you keep the fish in the resulting brine (max. 6 hours in the fridge) and the amount of pickling salt (~1 cup) you rubbed in, will determine how firm the fish is and the taste of the candy. I use heavy, dark Demerrara sugar, spices and maple syrup. Clean and slice fillets of salmon (against the grain) into 1/2" slices. After removing from the brine, rinse, then mix 2# of the Demerrara with 1 cup of real maple syrup, your fave spices and 1/4 cup of water. Soak for a day or two, again to taste. Halfway through the slow, cool smoking process, brush the salmon with a thick mixture of the sugar, syrup and water. You can substitute Demerrara Rum for the water, if you like - I do! MMM

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the amount of salt/length of brine time will affect the overall taste of your salmon.you can also add some molasses in addition to the demerara sugar.

I like to glaze my salmon with rum,honey & maple syrup sometimes I will sub the rum - Ouzo or a sweet brandy.

You guys are killing me with this thread ... Just sayin' ... Thank gosh no one is posting candy photos or I'd be a complete mess ...

Further to my above recipe I brush my salmon during the smoking process with a mixture of demerrera sugar and Grants Scotch(truly awful scotch) but great as a glaze. Striper Sniper says he uses a spray bottle to get the glaze on-haven't tried that but sounds like it has possibilities! Man I can't keep this stuff around!

I'm only running the smoker at 110 for about 3 hrs-my wife tells me when to take it off. LOL I usually over do it. Remember the salmon is already cured(3 to 4 days in brine) and is translucent for the most part when put in.

How long and at what temperature are you running your smokers when making candy? Cliff

My smoker (tall Smoky Mountain unit) is running at about 120 - 130 F. I can put my hand on it. Depending on the size of the pieces, 4-6 hours or longer for larger pieces - I keep sampling (mmm) until the right texture (firm yet still moist) and shiny, glazed appearance. Keep rotating the racks - lower to higher for even smoke curing treatment. Using a sprayer, as SF suggests, to baste with the mixture (4 or 5 times) and get that tasty glaze going is a great idea!

When cool, blend some with spreadable cream cheese for an incredibly delicious appy on crackers. You cannot buy anything this good in stores!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I do now...Tried all types of homemade mixes and they were ok but...Now I only use Golden Dragon Thick Teriyaki { buying by the gallon}.Cut your fillet into 1/2 inch strips in the mentioned brine and soak for 24 hours cold.Pull the strips out and dry off with a roll of paper towels.NOW..MOST important..slap them all down on your oiled sprayed smoker racks and fan dry them .This may take 4-6 hours.Smoke them and Always TASTE during that time in the smoker.When you are happy,COOL them in the fridge.When vac. packing add 1 tablespoon of fresh Teriaki ....done

you guys doing skin on or skin off?

I have always done skin on as fish with no skin seems to stick to racks and flake apart.

I havent had the patience to do the hanging tooth pick method.

Also just had a genius idea. Im not a big drinker but the new Honey Jack Daniel's omg is delicious, finishing glaze/baste!! with some honey or maple syurp or both! hmm honey 'ho :)

bump again for the skin off or on question^?

and when leaving candy out to dry before smoke for the peccical glaze/skin thing is it ok in this weather so warm during day to leave the fish out on the counter for a few hours?

I have a candy problem.... Not enough.. :)

photo-10.jpg

I skin mine before brining - it firms up. As far as drying for the pellicle, it's after brining - salt's a powerful preservative - so I don't see a problem; especially overnight when it's cooler.

Back