Salmon Abundance Near Record Highs

SerengetiGuide

Pacific salmon abundance still near record levels

Data compiled by its member countries during the 21st annual meeting of the North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission shows that Pacific salmon abundance in the North Pacific remains at near record high levels, the NOAFC said in late November.
The meeting took place Nov. 12-15 in an email format for the first time in the commission's history, with 71 participants from NPAFC member countries Canada, Japan, Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation and the United States.
The vast majority of North Pacific salmon originate from NPAFC member countries, the organization said in comments from Vancouver, British Columbia headquarters.
Initial North Pacific-wide 2013 commercial catch data indicate catches of 313,800 tons of pink salmon in Alaska, 241,292 tons in Russia and 13,171 tons in Canada, plus catches of 101,395 tons of chum salmon in Russia and 65,120 tons in Alaska. Catches of Chinook salmon remain at low levels, with reported landings of 1,640 tons in Alaska, 512 tons in Russia and 214 tons in Canada.
The 2013 commercial catches are preliminary estimates and are incomplete because some regions had not finished their fishery seasons at the time of compilation, the NPAFC said.

http://www.thecordovatimes.com/article/1350pacific-salmon-abundance-still-near-record

Chinook salmon remain low according to the article.

Not hard to see that the farther south you go the catches drop. They caught more Chinook in Russia than we did here in Canada. WAY TO GO DFO....we are running dead last!!

Why would they feel the need to change.. With the amount of work done in Wash, Org and Cali there are more fish in the water... Interception on our fish drops which mean more fish in our rivers... So they do nothing and call it a win and a told ya so..

Not hard to see that the farther south you go the catches drop. They caught more Chinook in Russia than we did here in Canada. WAY TO GO DFO....we are running dead last!!
That's commercial catch-why would anyone on this forum wish for a greater commercial effort targeting Chinook in Canada?

And Russia-specifically Siberia-has always had many many times more Salmon than the eastern side of the Pacific the old propaganda about BC Salmon abundance is just that.

The reason is quite simple. If there are more salmon and "Chinook" in particular...then there are more fish for all fishermen. That should be the goal.

The reason is quite simple. If there are more salmon and "Chinook" in particular...then there are more fish for all fishermen. That should be the goal.
Spring Salmon should be reserved for the sports fisherman commies can have the Pinks & Chums.

Pacific salmon abundance still near record levels

Initial North Pacific-wide 2013 commercial catch data indicate catches of 313,800 tons of pink salmon in Alaska, 241,292 tons in Russia and 13,171 tons in Canada, plus catches of 101,395 tons of chum salmon in Russia and 65,120 tons in Alaska. Catches of Chinook salmon remain at low levels, with reported landings of 1,640 tons in Alaska, 512 tons in Russia and 214 tons in Canada.

http://www.thecordovatimes.com/article/1350pacific-salmon-abundance-still-near-record

Chinook salmon remain low according to the article.

A Quick fact check is needed here:

DFO estimates for 2013 commercial chinook retained indicate 116,916 pieces harvested. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Fos2_Internet/pdfs/2013SalmonSummary.pdf

According to the article, "214 tons commercial catch in Canada". 214 tons = 428,000 pounds (214 tons X 2,000 pounds/ton).
428,000 pounds / 116,916 pieces = 3.7 pounds / piece.

How can that be? Is a 3.7 pound chinook even legal? Am I missing something here?

The 2012 BC Seafood Year in Review (http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/stats/YinReview/Seafood-YIR-2012.pdf) claims 900 tonnes of chinook harvested. DFO commercial chinook estimates for 2012 is 153,064 pieces. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Fos2_Internet/pdfs/2012SalmonSummary.pdf

900 tonnes X 2,200 pounds / tonne = 1,980,000 pounds.
1,980,000 pounds / 153,064 pieces = 12.9 pounds / piece. That, to me sounds more like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring Salmon should be reserved for the sports fisherman commies can have the Pinks & Chums.
If we allowed that to happen there be no salmon left. Commercials along with the DFO have already destroyed the other fisheries. What makes you think they wouldn't kill this species off as well.

You will never have any species harvested exclusively by one user group. That is a pipe dream. Excess fish beyond a generous escapement for spawning should be caught and sometimes the commercial guys are the only ones who can do that fast enough.

Agreed, but I think you have your priorities a little backwards PF. More fish caught by the commies does not equate to more fish in the system, quote the opposite. I know that we need to get DFO to support more enhancement, but we sure as hell do not need them to support more Commie interception

More fish caught by the commies does not equate to more fish in the system, quote the opposite. I know that we need to get DFO to support more enhancement, but we sure as hell do not need them to support more Commie interception
My point exactly.

All I was saying is that if the Chinook fishery can't support a commercial fishery then the number of fish available to us is below what it could and should be. I'm not advocating a return to the good old days for the commercial guys, obviously those good old days played a big part in where we are now.

Back