Sabiki Tube...

Seafever

Seen videos on Youtube where guys construct these rods with a reel attatched to make a herring fishing rod.

Then I thought:- why make a rod combo? All you need is a section of PVC small diameter tube cut to the length of your Sabiki (mine are around 5ft)......then cut some notch holes in each end so you can secure each end of the Sabiki to it. You can stow this on your boat without worrying about anybody getting caught by those pesky little hooks which always seem to be razor sharp and catch on everything.

When time comes, take it out and connect it to your fishing rod line. After that, stow it away.

My wife and I are going to Victoria next week to visit friends that live by the Gorge and I intend to try some herring fishing off the railway bridge or Craigflower bridge something I haven't done in over thirty five years. Back then many of the fisherman were using 12 to 14 foot Bamboo poles and the catching was pretty good. I understand now that the run is a shadow of what it was then so we don't particularily want to keep any but I would like to try my hand and at least revit some old memories. I am definitley going to use Seafever's suggestion for stowing my Sabiki rigs that seems to be a perfect solution for an old problem. As far as rods go I have set up two fourteen foot rather heavy weight DragonFly spey rods with spinning reels attached but I would really like to use a center pin steelhead reel instead but I think that would require fishing my sabiki rig under a float. Does anybody here have any suggestions on whether this would be suitable?

It all depends on how deep the herring are. Any rod and reel combo will work. I wouldn't think jigs suspended from a float would be very effective unless you fished at the crack of dawn when they're up top.

Cabela's markets a hollow telescopic sabiki rod for $ 50. It's always on my boat and has paid for itself many times over with herring. The one problem with stowing sabiki rigs in a hollow tube (PVC or off the shelf hollow rod like Cabela's rod) ---the hooks rust very quick. Sabiki rigs are $ 4.00 and I want them to last --- I always soak them in fresh water and allow them to dry before reeling them up into that tube.

Back