RV Parks/ Campgrounds In Coastal Oregon and Northern California

Dave S

I am headed on a road trip with my wife and baby. We are renting a motorhome and will be following the coast from Astoria OR to Santa Cruz CA. If you know of any areas of interest or nice RV parks/campgrounds, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks,
Dave

We stayed at the Sea and Sand RV Park just south of Lincoln City OR last summer. Try and get a spot on the Terrace if you can - right on the ocean, with great views. The rest of the sites are OK - but nothing special.

Hey Dave,

Haven't done the drive you refer to in a few years so can't recommend any RV Parks.....but just curious once you've gone that far why you are calling Santa Cruz the "end of the road"? I used to be down in California for work a TON.....that drive from about HalfMoon Bay thru SantaCruz, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and right down the PCH is a great one until you get to about Santa Barbera. Not sure if you have time but I would even carry down a bit further past Santa Cruz even if you don't go the entire way down to LALA Land.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm?do=parkPage.dsp_parkPage&parkId=95

travelled the coast with the family as a kid. We always stayed at this park campground. The sand dunes are accessable from a trail in the campsite (5 min away) as well as a small lake where the dunes plunge into it. Awesome to say the least. We always tented/tent trailered for our trips so I'm not sure about RV facilities, but looking at their site they seem to have hook ups listed under 'rates'.

As well, I MUST recommend, if you are passing through Uegene, OR., to stop at Tracktown Pizza, across from Oregon State U. Best pizza I have ever had. worth a detour in my opinion.

Make sure you stop at Dune City and ride the sand rails. Best roller coaster ride you will ever have. I think it was something like $28 for a 45 minute ride though sand dunes in a sand rail that holds 4 plus the driver. The marine museum at Astoria is good. There's the cheese factory at Tilamack and Sea Lion Caves. Cannon Beach is nice also. There is lots of great stops along the way. Last year we took a week and did the drive and came back on the I5 all the way back. It's a great trip lots of great coast line to see.

We did a 2 week Oregon camping trip last summer. We did spend 4 days at Honeyman State Park, and as FB said, it vs a great family place to camp. In fact, we quickly learned that all the state parks are really good.

Dave,

Camped the whole CA coast from Crescent City all the way to Santa Barbra this last November with my family. We stayed in sate parks all the way down and had a blast. Every park we stayed at was fantastic and right on the coast. Some had full services some didn't. We found that the ones that didn't were less crowded and more up our alley, felt like we had some of them to ourselves. I do recommend the Redwoods just south of Crescent City, we had a blast there and the trees are amazing, kids as well as you will love them.

Cheers and have a great trip.

If you get to San Fransico, don't stay at Marin County RV Park.. Bunch of clowns. I did the Oregon coast on my honeymoon and have to say I didn't find a single Oregon State campground I didn't like. On the way back up the I5, Valley of the Rouge is great, but far from coastal. If you do the sand dunes, I rented from Spinreel and found them and their equipment great.

I do recommend the Redwoods just south of Crescent City, we had a blast there and the trees are amazing, kids as well as you will love them.

Cheers and have a great trip.

Did this trip as a kid and the redwoods are the best memory.

They must have been seedlings back then.... :)

Come to think of it ... it was a while ago but they were still big.
Here's a pic with the family.... I'm the one on the left with the hat.... LOL

Wawona_In_the_Mariposa_Big_Tree_Grove_CA.jpg

Thanks for all the tips guys!! Have pinned all these spots in the ipad. We have 3 weeks so we will get to take our time and check out a lot of spots.

Check out some of the lighthouse parks also and have a good trip.

Back