Running Cannon Balls 15's vs.18lbs

After fishing a few times with GLGs setup this winter Im switching to 20"s but fishing here is different than anywhere else. They both have advantages and disadvantages in my opinion. New HPs are going on my boat this season. Just my opinion.

Some opinions from a fluid dynamics engineer: the coefficient of drag in a liquid or a gas is typically the same as long as they are both Newtonian fluids which water and air are in conditions that support fish life. There are better shapes than a sphere for drag but a sphere is probably the easiest to be guaranteed to get a relatively low drag coefficient because it's the same drag regardless of how the sphere is oriented to the flow. Fancy shapes have a low and a high drag orientation and it can be tough to achieve the low drag setting for sure.

The more line out, the more the blowback is due to the drag of the lines and not the weight. The fishing line is another line that is even longer than the downrigger cable and it becomes important on the deeper drops. Dropping from 30lb mono down to 30lb braid with a short mono top shot (if you don't like braid in the clip) that just reaches the clip will probably save a significant amount of blowback on the downrigger line Also keeping the loop of line between the clip and the rod as short as possible will minimize the blowback.

Since tungsten is almost twice as dense as lead if you could find some scrap tungsten rod somewhere you could make some seriously small 15lb weights that would probably be as good as 20lb lead weights for blowback.. Too bad the raw material is 10x more expensive than lead when new though.

The weight really is further behind the boat with more blowback.

If you put out too much line to compenstate for blowback eventually there will be enough line in the water that letting out more line will cause the weight to climb in the water column rather than drop.

Trolling with or against the current at the same WATER speed shouldn't make any difference to the blowback. But you can troll at a slower WATER speed with the current and still cover fresh GROUND.

Well... there is a metal available that is heavier than lead....they already make small fishing weights out of it....(name of metal escapes me at the moment)...

I suppose they could pour cannonballs out of it ...but the cost might be durn pricey.....

Oops.....MBowers already mentioned it in the post before mine...

Back