Running braid on main line & clipping to the release clip

kanuckle head

Any one have this prob
Now I use screw adjust release clip for my downrigger ..............per ner max
Them braid are too thin & slippery, Eh

Kh

never had any slippage with the 50 unless the pads had crap on them(fish or bait slime or butt juce). mostly pulling bait behind flashers. faster speeds may be a little different results. try changing out your release pads. i tried the trigger releases and hated them. you could also try putting a tiny groove in the back of the pads for the line to sit in

Tie on 50 or so ft of mono for the clip to go to.

Never had much luck tying mono to braid, unless I use a swivel
Problem I would have is running the swivel through the rod guides, an accident waiting to happen

You did give me an idea. I will try a loop knot of mono with a 3in tag end to the braid in an apox length where I clip the release to the tagged end

if you slide some surgical tubing over the pads on the clip it will grab better, its a pain when the braid constantly slips. You can also wrap the braid around a toothpick and put the pads around that and it will hold a bit better.

Use this knot for joining two lines of unequal diameter, for example:~

• nylon monofilament to fluorocarbon line
  • mono to single-strand wire line
  • mono to braid line

[h=3]Here's how to tie it...[/h]
albright-knot-1.jpg
Stage 1

First, double back the end of the single strand wire leader and thread the mono through the eye produced.

albright-knot-2.jpg
Stage 2

Next, start whipping back the mono over itself and the leader.

albright-knot-3.jpg
Stage 3

Then, make about ten turns before tucking the tag end of the mono through the loop such that it emerges on the same side as it entered.

albright-knot-4.jpg
Stage 4

Finally, lubricate with saliva before smoothly pulling the knot up tight.
Trim both ends, and that's it - you've done it!

just tie a mono sprig tag onto the briad use a nail knot and leave a tag 3"-6"

pull it tight with pilers and it wont slip
use nail clippers cut one side flush and other side is your tag
clip into that for your release clip

http://www.netknots.com/html/albright_special.html
albright special and double uni are popular

X2 on the Albright knot. I ran braid with a 50 foot mono top shot using the Albright all summer. Never had a knot failure. Goes through the tip and guides just fine and works great in the release. A release that works good on braid if you don't want to use the mono is the red, heavy tension, Offshore release. Spendy but they work on the braid.

Hey kanuckle head.

10 years ago when I began using braid as a main I quickly learned that you have to use braid that is close to the same diameter as 20-30lb mono, or it won't stay in the common Scotty release. What works for me is 80# braid, brand doesn't matter much. It still pops out nicely when you want it to, which my wife, kids, and guest newbies like (nicer than mono actually since there is no elasticity forcing you to work hard for the pop).
Recently I've been experimenting with the running braid just past the clip, and then mono to the flasher or lure, idea being that mono is less likely to spook fish, still accumulating data on that idea - but it appears to be positive for sox and not for anything else. Anyhow, use the knot that r.s. craven shows, it is easy for an 11 year old and works perfectly.
Good luck.

Smiley.

Use this knot for joining two lines of unequal diameter, for example:~

• nylon monofilament to fluorocarbon line
  • mono to single-strand wire line
  • mono to braid line

[h=3]Here's how to tie it...[/h]
albright-knot-1.jpg
Stage 1

First, double back the end of the single strand wire leader and thread the mono through the eye produced.

albright-knot-2.jpg
Stage 2

Next, start whipping back the mono over itself and the leader.

albright-knot-3.jpg
Stage 3

Then, make about ten turns before tucking the tag end of the mono through the loop such that it emerges on the same side as it entered.

albright-knot-4.jpg
Stage 4

Finally, lubricate with saliva before smoothly pulling the knot up tight.
Trim both ends, and that's it - you've done it!

Any idea what the name of this knot is?

Boys, I tried braid for my mainline all last season. The best option is using the Albright or Uni knot to join in 50 feet of top shot florocarbon. Problem with running straight braid is it will cut into the scotty clip pads when you get really large fish hitting hard. No problem on small fish, but big fish will pull hard enough to cut the braid into your clip with not good consequences usually. Now that I have fished braid, I would not go back to mono. You feel every move of the fish, and for fishing deep the no stretch makes it easier to set the hook.

...and another big plus by tying the mono on the end is that it gets rid of the braid wrapping around the end of the rod tip. That was almost a show stopper for me...unwrapping the rod tip almost every time you check the line was a drag. Problem gone now. I use the albright special too...no complaints.

Hey kanuckle head.

10 years ago when I began using braid as a main I quickly learned that you have to use braid that is close to the same diameter as 20-30lb mono, or it won't stay in the common Scotty release. What works for me is 80# braid, brand doesn't matter much. It still pops out nicely when you want it to, which my wife, kids, and guest newbies like (nicer than mono actually since there is no elasticity forcing you to work hard for the pop).
Recently I've been experimenting with the running braid just past the clip, and then mono to the flasher or lure, idea being that mono is less likely to spook fish, still accumulating data on that idea - but it appears to be positive for sox and not for anything else. Anyhow, use the knot that r.s. craven shows, it is easy for an 11 year old and works perfectly.
Good luck.

Smiley.

Thanx 4 the reply Smiley

I have always run 80lb braid as my main( dia. of 25 mono )
My issue is the type of fishing I am use 2, free fall drop that stresses out the release clip stickage
Just 2 elevate the Hoes in the 0-60 zone, when the Springs R much deep'r

Kh

Take a round toothpick, wrap braid twice around and put that in a standard scotty clip. Holds just fine with 50 lb braid, no need for a mono topshot or a splice going thru the eyes.

I use a thin piece of Gange at the end of the braid andattach the Scotty ball hook to the other end of the Gange. Instead of using the Scotty line stops I permantley tie a large swivel into the line, never have to worry about a stop coming off...

Bret

I had the same problem with 40lb spider wire braid. I replaced my line with 65lb toughline braid and my clips with the scotty power grips and it holds fine now.

Back