Rumor has it a boat sunk on weekend of trial??

wolf

So heard someone had to rescue some people in water they were trying to anchor in too fast of current anyone have more details??

Just heard about it from a friend of mine, first responder rescuer. Got to the scene just in time to pull couple guys out barely hanging onto the bow of the turtled boat. No life jackets... small boat, fast waters equals recipe for disaster. Apparent rope in the prop scenario.

Glad all are OK.

Take care

Yup anchored when it was ripping 3+ knots.. Rope rapped around the leg and spun it.. Boat didn't sink and was towed to Cattle point where the guys tried to put it back on the trailer.. Glad there ok.

Another reason why anchoring for butts is not a great idea... no fish is worth risking your life over...............

Been on wolf's boat a couple years ago. Spent a couple hours talking bout halis and anchoring. Didnt fish for them that trip but will def book with him again to learn first hand before trying to do it on my rig.I think it's ok if you learn proper technique. Key point.... proper technique

No problem anchoring, but you need to know what the current is doing.
it's a steep learning curve, nothing worse than dropping the pick and watching your
scotchman go under....

:(

Also listened on 16, sat. Morning 24' bayliner taking on water just off mudge island. Man, wife and dog pulled off the boat. They started to tow it in, but they had to cut loose and boat went down.

so what's the learning curve on a large rogue wave ??? experience won't help you there i'm afraid, look what happened off winter harbor a couple of years back, experienced guide, had done it many times, all dead !! absolutely not necessary to anchor to catch halis and imho it should be banned. always had a bug up me arse about this subject. like i said, just all my humble opinion

so what's the learning curve on a large rogue wave ??? experience won't help you there i'm afraid, look what happened off winter harbor a couple of years back, experienced guide, had done it many times, all dead !! absolutely not necessary to anchor to catch halis and imho it should be banned. always had a bug up me arse about this subject. like i said, just all my humble opinion
Had a bad experience?just because you can't do doent mean it should be banned,I've never had a problem and taught myself how to do it.

"I've never had a problem and taught myself how to do it."

I'm sure the dead guide never had a problem before either! try tellin that to his dead guests families!!!!

I've been guiding for over 30 years and have been around the block a few times. it is not necessary to anchor for halis and it is a risk in open waters no matter how experienced you are. never had a bad experience anchoring for halis because i just don't do it, no need to.

There are hundreds anchoring out here... and do so safely each year. Again I am not going to point fingers but clearly there has been very fast currents last week and to anchor of trial during this time is pretty suicidal.. I myself dont go on ripping currents just pick days with light currents/good weather... Were not even talking about a rogue wave...

I am thankful no one lost there life.... We dont need that in our fishing community..

Hearing about this story makes me wonder if this is another one without a proper anchor setup using floating poly line trying to winging it without reading currents..Totally recipe for disaster... Anyhow feel bad for them was probably horrible experience.

"I've never had a problem and taught myself how to do it."

I'm sure the dead guide never had a problem before either! try tellin that to his dead guests families!!!!

I've been guiding for over 30 years and have been around the block a few times. it is not necessary to anchor for halis and it is a risk in open waters no matter how experienced you are. never had a bad experience anchoring for halis because i just don't do it, no need to.

This area is different from offshore areas and up north... I know your around the block but anchoring is how we do it down here, and many of us can do it safely.... Winter Harbour and offshore areas are different story.. We also dont get huge swells etc...

The situation up in Winter Harbour was an attempt to anchor in seriously big wave and wind conditions. I had a buddy fishing up there on the day the accident happened and everyone was headed back in when the other vessel was heading out (according to him). That tells us something about the conditions and decision opportunities. There's old pilots, and bold pilots, but no old bold pilots. One of the challenges in guiding is to objectively weigh the pressure to please everyone and get on the fish, and balance that against making the right decision for the conditions presented in the moment. Commercial pilots face those same challenging decisions on a regular basis. Its not a precise science, and requires solid objective judgment. Talking yourself into unsafe choices can happen if you allow that performance pressure to seep into decision making. I'm not making excuses for what happened there, just trying to shed some light on the factors that could have lead to the decisions made, and how easy it is for any one of us to walk down that dark path if we allow it to happen.

However, anchoring can be done quite safely when done with caution and regard for the conditions. Banning it is simply the wrong approach. That would be analogous to banning boating because some guy went out in gale force weather in a leaky 15 foot run about and sunk. Its more about good decision making and awareness education to help folks.

As I understand the winter harbour situation was not one to blame the anchor on. Anchor line and system was a mess and not even on a decent hali spot. Boat apparently had fish on board and was running. 4 guys plus small boat in big water capsizing while running was more than likely the situation. Things can happen quickly in big water. Anyways a very good buddy of mine was anchored up close by that day, he worked for the same comany and was very involved with the search. Saying that anchoring should be banned is an ignorant comment. It's like saying guns should be banned because they can kill people..........

Last edited by a moderator:
As I understand the winter harbour situation was not one to blame the anchor on. Anchor line and system was a mess and not even on a decent hali spot. Boat apparently had fish on board and was running. 4 guys plus small boat in big water capsizing while running was more than likely the situation. Things can happen quickly in big water. Anyways a very good buddy of mine was anchored up close by that day, he worked for the same comany and was very involved with the search. Saying that anchoring should be banned is an ignorant comment. It's like saying guns should be banned because they can kill people..........

Yup I was told the same thing likely by the same person. They weren't on the pick.

Both scenarios we should learn from safety is the MAIN thing!!!!!!! and it was human error and sometimes you dont get a second chance the people (vic) were the lucky ones and we can be thankful for that Its sad to se this happen I watch people out there attempting to set when they really shouldnt, people asume that a 2kt current isnt fast as i tried to explain to a guy at dock he was comparing it to a car doing 2 miles an hour... thats not fast at all he told me .... I then said ok now get a semi moving at 2 mph and try and hold it back see how far you get its not the speed of the current its the FORCE of that ocean . Mother nature will kill you in a milisecond it doesnt care all we can do as fishermen is to "AVOID" situations that put you and others in harms way.

Just cause you dont like to anchor doesnt mean we should ban being a 30 year vet and to say something like that im sorry thats dumb... next you will want to ban trolling and go back to rowing a boat ????

What it regally comes down to is make sure you go out on slack currents if your guessing my suggestion is dont go im thankful these guys made it home ok....

Wolf

Anchoring for Halibut is extremely effective and safe if done in the correct manner. I agree with Searun about the balance regarding production versus the conditions, my old motto is that fish aren't worth anyone's life.

BTW, the guy running that boat in Winter Harbour was a friend and very experienced.

Let's just say that that company has upgraded their boats out of necessity.

Ban anchoring? Wow that's quite a statement. I would always advocate going with someone experienced to learn the ropes so to speak but done properly the risks are minimized. Many things we do in life have risk involved but to not do something because of the involved risk would be a paralyzing way to live. From the accounts I read they figure the guide boat out of Winter turtled causing the ground tackle to be deployed. Unfortunate for all parties involved, but it sounds like learning occurred and changes were made.

The issue that many neophytes do not understand when anchoring for halibut is that current by itself is not the only influencing factor. Depth, scope and waves are as much the problems as the current. When anchoring in the Fraser for Sturgeon one can safely anchor in 5 or even 7 knot current all day long, but you are anchored in 30 feet of water or less with a 100 + feet of scope out and there is rarely any wave influence other than the occasional tug going by. But take a 2 knot current and have that force against 200 feet of depth and only 300 feet of anchor line and all of a sudden the downward force on the line is exponentially greater. Then add in a 2 foot wind wave and a 4 foot swell and inexperience and you have a recipe for disaster.

Back