Rotten transom in my new (to me)Grady!!

That is a very fine job that you have done. Man I would be scared " #*^@" in doing that job. My hat's are off to you. Keep the pic's coming.

Yes awesome job and a very skilled tradesman you are. It's great to see your progression from the beginning. I too felt very sorry for you at the beginning, but you are going to have a great boat at the end of all this.

Thanks to all of you gents for the encouragement and kind words! I managed to get the boat in the water for a run on Saturday, transom was totally solid. To bad I blew the head gasket on my 225 Yammy! Friggin boats! Oh well, I guess now I am going to learn how to tear down my outboard and replace everything. Looks like 2 exhaust gaskets, 2 head gaskets, 2 cover gaskets, 2 thermostat gaskets, 2 thermostats, spark plugs, 2 t-stat housing bolts as I broke 2 off in the head on removal, 8 small powerhead anodes. Lots of corrosion and carbon to scrape and solvent wash out as well.

It might be worth mentioning that the head gasket leak started with a funny mid range RPM misfire that went away when the engine got up and went. My overheat alarm went off and when I looked back the tell tale was gone. Went home on the kicker. This morniing I hooked up the earmuffs and fired it up, the tell tale was back!! But not for long, once the engine heated up the tell tale got weaker and weaker and the exhaust got whiter and steamier. This made my next move pretty obvious, get the tools out!!

Thanks to all of you gents for the encouragement and kind words! I managed to get the boat in the water for a run on Saturday, transom was totally solid. To bad I blew the head gasket on my 225 Yammy! Friggin boats! Oh well, I guess now I am going to learn how to tear down my outboard and replace everything. Looks like 2 exhaust gaskets, 2 head gaskets, 2 cover gaskets, 2 thermostat gaskets, 2 thermostats, spark plugs, 2 t-stat housing bolts as I broke 2 off in the head on removal, 8 small powerhead anodes. Lots of corrosion and carbon to scrape and solvent wash out as well.

It might be worth mentioning that the head gasket leak started with a funny mid range RPM misfire that went away when the engine got up and went. My overheat alarm went off and when I looked back the tell tale was gone. Went home on the kicker. This morniing I hooked up the earmuffs and fired it up, the tell tale was back!! But not for long, once the engine heated up the tell tale got weaker and weaker and the exhaust got whiter and steamier. This made my next move pretty obvious, get the tools out!!

Boat ownership, like everything else, can, at times, be just a *****.
Persevere, hang in there, you've done a great job on the rebuild.
Now you will know the motor is in good shape too.

What year is the 225 Yammi? The symptoms all sound like the well known corrosion issue in the mid section-have you checked out that section? The kit to fix that is only 800 dollars and if you are going to do everything else -you should investigate that mid section for corrosion.

What year is the 225 Yammi? The symptoms all sound like the well known corrosion issue in the mid section-have you checked out that section? The kit to fix that is only 800 dollars and if you are going to do everything else -you should investigate that mid section for corrosion.

By "mid section" are you referring to the area between the cylinder heads? I believe that would be the exhaust manifold

By "mid section" are you referring to the area between the cylinder heads? I believe that would be the exhaust manifold

I'm pretty sure that the mid-section is the upper part of the leg...basically around the area where the trim cylinders are up the the underside of the powerhead. The Yamaha F225 has a well-documented corrosion problem in the exhaust here. Do some googling on it!

I'm pretty sure that the mid-section is the upper part of the leg...basically around the area where the trim cylinders are up the the underside of the powerhead. The Yamaha F225 has a well-documented corrosion problem in the exhaust here. Do some googling on it!

Yes the mid-section referred to is the upper part of the leg-no flushing etc can get to it and it wasn't coated with the correct coating. Affected 225 from inception until early 2006 when they put a new Teflon type coating on. Should have been recalled but Yamaha chose to ignore it and now faces multiple lawsuits in the States. The only reason I mention it is I had one and was always on the lookout for the symptoms you describe which was the sign that the corrosion had broken through, If you have that year motor do yourself a favour and check it out before buttoning it up again.

It is an inner exhaust section below the powerhead and inside the mid section of the leg.

Yes the mid-section referred to is the upper part of the leg-no flushing etc can get to it and it wasn't coated with the correct coating. Affected 225 from inception until early 2006 when they put a new Teflon type coating on. Should have been recalled but Yamaha chose to ignore it and now faces multiple lawsuits in the States. The only reason I mention it is I had one and was always on the lookout for the symptoms you describe which was the sign that the corrosion had broken through, If you have that year motor do yourself a favour and check it out before buttoning it up again.

Mine is a 225 txrr 1993. Is this one of the affected motors? I have it torn down to the block and will be rebuilding in the next week or so.

Mine is a 225 txrr 1993. Is this one of the affected motors? I have it torn down to the block and will be rebuilding in the next week or so.
No- My bad I assumed that it was a 4 stroke-that I believe is a 2 stroke and I have no Knowledge of that and I am happy for you. Hope the rebuild goes well. Sorry if I gave you a scare. Mike

Sounds like more pictures... By the time you get all this done,you will not only be a carpenter but Master Shipwright and Marine Mechanic... Hope the engine turns out as well as the Transom replacement did....

Back