Roll on gelcote or pay to spray

23Hourston

Just finishing up a cabin floor
Anyone have good success with
Rolling the gelcote on yourself or
Wondering if I should get it sprayed
Any thoughts appreciated

I have rolled it on. Not the smoothest finish, but effective. Spraying is probably way nicer, but rolling it was free!

If youre putting in non skid with the gelcoat, roll it on. It comes out nice with a roller regardless. of course spray on is a better finish, depends what youre looking for.

This is my method. 10 mm roller. measure out 1 litre of gelcoat in a measuring container from industrial plastics.dump into paint tray. add 20 ml mekp hardener (2%).stir well. roll out a two or three foot area of gelcoat and then i sprinkle the non skid on by hand. then i reroll over top the nonskid. It makes for a nice finish. You can buy the non skid sand or silica beads at industrial plastics also. or the hardware store.I find when i mix it directly into the gel, i cant get the direct coverage of nonskid as i can doing it this way

I only ever do one thick coat. I put it on very thick though. If you want to do more than one coat, you have to use unwaxed gelcoat. Wait until it is tacked over and put on your next layer. add 4% wax to your gelcoat along with the mekp on your final layer so it will fully cure.

Back