Rod tension

All I do is put a quick release connected to the rod holder on the line as it comes out of the reel. Then I can set the drag where I want it to fight the fish ahead of time and no line creep
Interesting. Never heard of this technique before now.

What about rod angle? I see some boats with rods pointing up and some with rods straight out more pointing toward the water. Just a preference?

What about rod angle? I see some boats with rods pointing up and some with rods straight out more pointing toward the water. Just a preference?
I have the dual holder mounted on a riser under the downrigger. It’s way higher of a rod angle than I like but it is what it is. Still, I crank it down and bury the line in the release clip

I’m another in the cranked down hard club; I don’t like the fish to benefit from a bunch of slack when it pops the clip.
Of course this makes me susceptible to the involuntary clip release at 209 ft when I’m getting it ‘just right’😉
Just one laaaast cran...*^$%#**#^:mad:*#^*!&!^^#**@;:mad:&#*@&;@#&*@*&;@&#*@&;@@ CHRIST!

I'm still toying with drag settings. I'm just on Shimano GT's right now. I find to get the rod loaded the way I want like most earlier comments, the drag needs to be pretty tight to not creep. I usually tighten it way down then ease it back slowly until it starts to creep, and then tighten one or two clicks. But any bit of change in speed or current can start it creeping again. Maybe I am over thinking it, but I figure having the drag too tight on the initial hit increases chances of a breakoff, especially with braid.

But yeah, like everyone else I like a nice tight bend in the rod if I can achieve it.
That’s why my GT gets used for buck tails in the prop wash. I really like the Daiwa M1 reels, as you can crank down on them without locking the drag and they don’t creep.

I heard once that the hook should be self-setting when trolling, but that requires enough tension in the line to bury the hook when the fish pulls it out of the release clip. It’s lot easier to break a rod when there’s not enough tension, and you try to whip it out of the clip, instead of doing it the right way. I know from experience. 🥲

I was out last night and had the rods cranked right down, Flasher and skinny G…and you know how (highjack in 3..2..1..) we all know to change out the hooks on those spoons? You change them right? Well I have 2 different types of hooks sitting beside my skinny Gs bought for this very purpose, in the packet still. So after several hours of nothing and a couple of pinks I get this good strike, bang BANG, I jump up and grab the rod and as I hit it to get the rod out of the clip I realise it might be out already and the fish is going straight down I feel the power then nothing. I wind up and the stock hook is bent horribly. :-( I had already caught quite a few chinook on that hook in the past month and it was fine and told myself I play them soft so it will probably be ok. Stupid eh? The only decent fish in 5 hours! It’s moments like that when I wish I had been looking the wrong way which is what I normally like to do, I would have just heard the drag going and all would be fine.
Well I have changed over 3 hooks this evening, I have a few more to do.
…oh and I put the line all the way to the back of the clip always. Carry on.

Last edited:
I was out last night and had the rods cranked right down, Flasher and skinny G…and you know how (highjack in 3..2..1..) we all know to change out the hooks on those spoons? You change them right? Well I have 2 different types of hooks sitting beside my skinny Gs bought for this very purpose, in the packet still. Well after several hours of nothing and a couple of pinks I get this good strike, bang BANG, I jump up and grab the rod and as I hit it to get the rod out of the clip I realise it might be out already and the fish is going straight down I feel the power then nothing. I wind up and the stock hook is bent horribly. :-( I had already caught quite a few chinook on that hook in the past month and it was fine and told myself I play them soft so it will probably be ok. Stupid eh? The only decent fish in 5 hours! It’s moments like that when I wish I had been looking the wrong way which is what I normally like to do, I would have just heard the drag going and all would be fine.
Well I have changed over 3 hooks this evening, I have a few more to do.
…oh and I put the line all the way to the back of the clip always. Carry on.
That reminds me of an incident from last year. I had one side stacked and the top rod went off. The wife said she couldn’t pop it off the clip so she handed it to me and I hauled off on it. As I was in the motion of setting, I realized that the fish was probably already off the clip but I was way to invested in the motion already so I hit it as hard as I could. Slack line was my reward. I reeled in and found that I had straightened a split ring that was attached to the old dodger I was using. Lessons learned I suppose.

That reminds me of an incident from last year. I had one side stacked and the top rod went off. The wife said she couldn’t pop it off the clip so she handed it to me and I hauled off on it. As I was in the motion of setting, I realized that the fish was probably already off the clip but I was way to invested in the motion already so I hit it as hard as I could. Slack line was my reward. I reeled in and found that I had straightened a split ring that was attached to the old dodger I was using. Lessons learned I suppose.
If only we were faster learners…

had a memorable trip to Nootka where i was blowing split rings and bead chains apart playing fish too hard. i lost a freight train of a fish while trolling closely by another boat. broke the bead chain.
best part though? guy in the other boat says “ lost your fish eh? that’s too bad. check this out: and proceeds to show me his spring around 25 pounds.

we laughed about that for hours and still mock him: “Hey guys: knocked over your beer? watch this: ( as guy takes long pull from cold beer) ” Hey guys: your dad passed away? check this out: ( as he shows us his dad)

man we’ve had fun with that one

Attachments

• BEAC1BE5-B66D-4F73-9DE0-9CB1D7A39BC1.jpeg
    BEAC1BE5-B66D-4F73-9DE0-9CB1D7A39BC1.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 71
  • B5637C5F-305E-40CF-95B6-87F83F9878B1.jpeg
    B5637C5F-305E-40CF-95B6-87F83F9878B1.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 92BF6A15-2C01-449C-A5BE-F33227FA3919.jpeg
    92BF6A15-2C01-449C-A5BE-F33227FA3919.jpeg
    103.3 KB · Views: 74
Back