Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

I dont think the percentages are what made it passed the slide. They are the percentage of that run that normally spawns in Watersheds above the slide and will be impacted by the slide.

CRGreg
Thanks, I mis-read the slide....still stand by my comments regarding the work necessary to effectively deal with recovering these fish.

Does anyone know if there actually is any kind of recovery plan from DFO on these stocks? I know a lot of work is going into mitigating the slide, but that doesn't help with the recovery if there's still little to no fish coming back?

They did both both at Albion and on the grounds. On the grounds the spring and summer 5-2 I believe is like 8k and at Albion around 30k

If the slide
Never happened the 2019 return would of been better the the last couple of years.

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/2019 FR CN Post-season Review.pdf

http://frafs.ca/sites/default/files2/Jan 2020_BigBarUpdate_trilatversion_Final Jan 31.pdf
With regards to 2019 Fraser Sockeye (all run timing groups) that is false. Look no further than the Late Run escapements which primarily spawned downstream of the slide. Late Run in 2019 was lowest on record for any year. The slide is a big factor that can have long lasting impacts if the discharge thresholds don’t increase, but things were bad before the slide happened or even if the slide never happened. Unfortunately the slide will likely be an ongoing issue for some time.

I was only talking about the 5-2 Chinook and I was only comparing it to the last couple of years not it’s brood.

Sockeye was the worst return on record and the slide on top of that.

Stuart sockeye wiped out sad but not surprising.

Last edited:
Appears that the slide isn't a barrier to migration for the Spring and Summer 5-2 Chinook with over 80% actually migrating successfully past the slide - the main problem(s) still appear to be issues such as; 1) poor ocean survival (these fish migrate way offshore into the warm blob area); 2) summer warm water conditions in fresh water - and being they spend 2 seasons in fresh water are more highly susceptible to climatic change conditions in freshwater; 3) Out migrant predation from pinnipeds and birds - remember these Stream-Type smolts out-migrate as much larger fish than the Ocean-Types....therefore, represent a lot more caloric benefit for the expenditure of energy to catch them if you are a predator....and there is definitely a pattern where Ocean-Type Chinook are fairing far better than their Stream-Type cousins. So, while it would be nice to address the rock slide to improve migration....these fish are DOOMED unless we can find ways to effectively address the main causal factors impacting recovery of this specific stock of Stream-Type Chinook. Fixing the slide has drawn much needed attention and resources away from the real issues and solutions that could actually make a difference.
While I agree with your pointing the finger more at the doom that was happening independently of the slide I don’t believe we should take the foot off the pedal with addressing the passage issue at the slide. One year of bad escapement is not great but 2 years in a row could be a nail in the coffin for those Upper Fraser Chinook stocks and Early Stuart Sockeye. For Fraser Sockeye, the Summer Run timing group, specifically Chilko can make of a majority of the forecasted return on most years. Many Summer Fraser Sockeye CUs spawn upstream of the slide and we have very good evidence that Sockeye are not migrating past the slide when discharges go above 1800 cms. Actually, migration conditions (water temperature and discharge) in the Fraser, while not optimal were better than previous years.

A notice motion was put forward today by conservative Ed Fast to investigate the state of decline of pacific salmon and big bar slide. Including calling on witnesses from dfo and stake holders.

Also a motion on seal predation in Atlantic Ocean and expanding seal market.

Also a motion on seafood labeling.

This was the first meeting of the fopo committee.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Committees/en/fopo

Last edited:
While I agree with your pointing the finger more at the doom that was happening independently of the slide I don’t believe we should take the foot off the pedal with addressing the passage issue at the slide. One year of bad escapement is not great but 2 years in a row could be a nail in the coffin for those Upper Fraser Chinook stocks and Early Stuart Sockeye. For Fraser Sockeye, the Summer Run timing group, specifically Chilko can make of a majority of the forecasted return on most years. Many Summer Fraser Sockeye CUs spawn upstream of the slide and we have very good evidence that Sockeye are not migrating past the slide when discharges go above 1800 cms. Actually, migration conditions (water temperature and discharge) in the Fraser, while not optimal were better than previous years.
Agreed, just think we are overly focusing our attention on one factor, when there are many more that have been at play for a very long time and not addressed. Maybe I have more confidence in finding a technical solution to fish passage than is realistic....Thus I'm more concerned about addressing the other more significant factors in the decline of Stream-Type Chinook.

I'm sure this isn't the first landslide on the Fraser over the last hundred years with minimal impact on spawning salmon migration up stream. I'm thankful for the efforts used to take salmon above the slide to continue on but like others have said salmon swim up decent size falls, there's vids online of them shooting up what appeared to be what I thought was impossible with no problem at all. There's a lot of water there I bet the line share swam past that spot with out the help of helicopters. Not to mention over time that amount of water will erode channels making that easier over time.

On a random note - the biggest threat to salmon stocks is nets both in the ocean and on rivers they are far to effective. 10 Chinook per year per angler is not a stock killer lets be realistic. Continue to increase enhancement through restoring streams, rearing channels and properly funding the hatcheries where so many folks volunteer their time, close rivers down when salmon spawn 100%, get rid of the net salmon fisheries and the stocks will rebound guaranteed in 4-6 years.

Last edited:
I'm sure this isn't the first landslide on the Fraser over the last hundred years with minimal impact on spawning salmon migration up stream. I'm thankful for the efforts used to take salmon above the slide to continue on but like others have said salmon swim up decent size falls, there's vids online of them shooting up what appeared to be what I thought was impossible with no problem at all. There's a lot of water there I bet the line share swam past that spot with out the help of helicopters. Not to mention over time that amount of water will erode channels making that easier over time.

On a random note - the biggest threat to salmon stocks is nets both in the ocean and on rivers they are far to effective. 10 Chinook per year per angler is not a stock killer lets be realistic. Continue to increase enhancement through restoring streams, rearing channels and properly funding the hatcheries where so many folks volunteer their time, close rivers down when salmon spawn 100%, get rid of the net salmon fisheries and the stocks will rebound guaranteed in 4-6 years.
This waterfall was pretty significant though. With some of the footage shown with the drone the drop doesn’t look too bad but when you put some scale to it then it’s a whole different picture. Hydroacoustic monitoring (Big Bar, Churn Creek, Chilko, Quesnel and Stellako) overlaid with Fraser River discharge has shown very good evidence that fish passage past the slide is dependent on certain threshold water discharges which are not the same for each Pacific Salmon species that migrates past Big Bar. For Fraser Sockeye CUs that spawn upstream of the slide the threshold discharge was approximately 1800 cms.

At discharges above that, the slide likely imposed an impassable barrier to their upstream migration. You can see it in the sonar counts above the slide including those in the terminal areas where arrival timing was up to 3 weeks later in some cases. So while I acknowledge the determination of these fish to migrate over significant obstacles the hydroacoustic and hydrological data was pretty revealing. You are correct that most fish found their way past the slide vs helicopter transport, but that was only when river discharges dropped to favourable levels. Helicopter transport was analogous to using a child’s Lion King bandaid to stop major hemorrhaging. I mean look no further than the Early Stuart Sockeye escapement. Considering the number of total number of Sockeye transported past the slide (51K) only 89 are estimated to have escaped to Early Stuart streams. Bowron even less.

Big Bar landslide response information bulletin
February 21, 2020

Successful initial blasting of the Big Bar landslide East Toe
The Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia and First Nations continue to work in partnership to oversee progress at the Big Bar landslide site.

This week, Peter Kiewit & Sons successfully carried out a planned blast at the East Toe. Kiewit also made solid progress on the construction of an overland road for heavy equipment, on the installation of a highline to facilitate site access and on rock fall prevention.

The East Toe blast, which took place on February 18, removed a large portion of bedrock extending into the river at the site of the slide. The result is a widened channel and more flow directed toward the east river bank. Acoustic monitoring downstream of the slide did not detect any fish in the area before the blast and no fish mortality was detected.

Drilling on the East Toe will now resume in preparation for a second blast in early March, depending on the weather. Scaling, rock fall protection measures and daily geotechnical monitoring continues to occur as worker safety is always of utmost importance.

2020-02-21-a.jpg

A flurry of activity on the overland access route construction including drilling, rock bolting, excavation and a bulldozer pushing embankment towards the West Beach.

2020-02-21-b.jpg

The East Toe as seen before (left) and after (right) the initial blasting, which occurred on February 18.

2020-02-21-c.jpg

An aerial shot looking north of the Big Bar landslide site before the East Toe blasting this week.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacifi...lide-eboulement/bulletins/2020-02-21-eng.html

DFO Main Page Link
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacific-smon-pacifique/big-bar-landslide-eboulement/index-eng.html

Last edited:
February 28, 2020

Ongoing progress at the Big Bar landslide site
Following the initial blasting on the East Toe last week on February 18, crews have began preparing for a second blast, to occur in March.

Despite continued high winds, work has continued on several aspects of the project including:

• clean-up of debris from the initial blast;
  • installation of additional mesh in high rock fall potential areas as identified by drone inspection;
  • scaling work on the West face;
  • final blasting on the overland access and hand scaling along the route;
  • and archaeology work in preparation for additional excavation.
2020-02-28-a.jpg

Initial blasting of the East Toe, which occurred last week.

2020-02-28-b.jpg

Georadar monitoring equipment to measure slope grade and monitor slope movement.

2020-02-28-c.jpg

Crews continue to scale the Overland Access.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacific-smon-pacifique/big-bar-landslide-eboulement/index-eng.html

This is worth a listen to fopo committee members trying to get the fisheries minister to give a 2H interview on camera for the committee briefing about the slide.

https://parlvu.parl.gc.ca/Harmony/e...200225/-1/32763?Language=English&Stream=Video

Lots going down here that’s interesting.

Also interesting they want look into Atlantic canada herring. Lots of herring used as bait in crab fisheries but they are running out of herring. Want to use Asian carp as bait or seals.

Last edited:
There is still so much more blasting that needs to be done. We are less than a month away from the water starting to freshet.

Keep in mind the water will be rising 40 ft up the wall of the canyon there in weeks to come! That is the lowest of the Fraser flows right now.

There is still so much more blasting that needs to be done. We are less than a month away from the water starting to freshet.

Keep in mind the water will be rising 40 ft up the wall of the canyon there in weeks to come! That is the lowest of the Fraser flows right now.
They should hopefully get on with it then. Give it your best shot now before it doesn't matter anymore.

March 6, 2020

On site, in-river work has begun
Crews have completed the Overland Access Road down to the west beach, allowing heavy equipment to reach the river. This has enabled crews to construct “fingers” out to the large boulders in the river, allowing drilling equipment to better access these boulders. Lighter drilling equipment has been removed from the East Toe while the in-river work is underway, and it is expected that a track drill will be deployed to the East Toe to complete drilling for a second blast. In-river drilling, blasting and excavation is expected to continue until at least mid-March.

High Bar and Stswecem’c Xgat’tem First Nations Visit Big Bar Site
On February 27, leadership from High Bar First Nation (HBFN) and Stswecem’c Xgat’tem First Nation (SXFN) visited the Big Bar site to view the work in progress and learn more about planned work ahead of the spring freshet. After a helicopter fly-over of the site, participants boarded river boats to view the slide site up close, see where the East Toe blasting occurred and witness progress on the access road to the slide site on the west bank. DFO, PSPC and Provincial staff described upcoming activities and objectives in the context of removal of key boulders and slide features now exposed by low water.

Following the river boat tour, participants drove to the top of the Overland Access to view the advancing work front, and then down to the Salmon Trail to where archaeology assessments are currently underway and where archeologist, Kim Christenson provided an update on the archeological activities.

2020-03-06-a.jpg

An aerial shot of the slide site showing current river flow post-blasting on March 5, 2020.

2020-03-06-b.jpg

CATs work on building access to the West Bank .

Back