River Fishing Solution

likwit

I was talking about salmon issues with a friend this weekend... the decline of salmon stocks being a primary focus of the discussion. Living in Victoria, the whole size limit for chinooks this march to save the early Fraser run was part of our discussion.

My ranting led me to the issue of river fishing... the opinion i presented was that the river fishery was a key piece of salmon puzzle. IMO, both the 'sport' fishing on the fraser and the native net fishery were as important as any other fishery, in ensuring that a the Fraser stocks would survive.

The salmon that reach the river are the ones that made it. It sounds obvious, i know. But they had the genetics to outlast, outwit and outswim all the predators (animal, human or otherwise) to make it to the mighty river and continue their journey to complete the circle. these are the chosen fish! How sad it is that these fish are not given the respect they deserve.

Thinking about it, any fish caught in the salt has a lower chance of making it to the river. Looking at in that sense, taking 1000 fish out of the ocean, who may have a 50% "river" rate, has a much less of an impact on brood stocks than taking 1000 fish from the river itself. I'm not sure what the return to the river rates actually are... but you can see what i am getting at.

My conclusions:
Any fish that makes it to the river should have a chance to spawn and continue the cycle - to me this seems of the utmost importance if want fish to sustain their own populations in the future

Natives do have a historical right to fish out from the rivers

We need to work together to save our salmon

My Proposition:
Ban sport fishing on the river where natives have historical food fisheries.
Supplement native historical food/commercial fisheries by supporting an ocean based commercial 'style' fishery for natives.

How it would work:
Its obviously less work to net a river to catch a bunch of fish... but its way worse for the stocks.
What if DFO and the powers that be supplemented the extra resources (time and money money money) it required for native bands to catch fish on the salt?
Native groups wouldn't have to reduce their keep/catch, they would just have to do it in the ocean. It might even be reasonable for them to 'legalize' some of the fish selling that already goes on.

It isn't the traditional fishing method, but all groups need to make concessions. I for one wouldn't complain if money from DFO and my licensce fees went to ending the net fishery that occurs on the fraser and other rivers/tributaries.

As a show of concession, any river where natives agreed to stop net fishing would result in a meat fishery ending... if natives stop netting the fraser i don't its fair that sporties continue to snag the fish the native peoples would be working to save.

Thoughts?

Close river sport fishing???Interesting concept but you will never get the FN to stop netting river fish..Its too easy and cost effective. And to shut down sport fishing in the Fraser is a weak arguement...Sport fishing makes up a very small percentage of numbers actually harvested in the Fraser..
Hoping to solve the Fraser River farce is very admirable,but, greed and big bucks are involved here. If I were a FN member I would be hesitant to give up the cash cow(salmon) too. I can't blame them too much,but the stocks are showing the result of the combined effects of greedy harvesting and environmental pressures..
Being able to reverse the trend will take commitment on all sides(if its not too late already),haven't seen that happen yet,hope it happens soon or we will all become people with distant memories of fish stories ...[:0]

quote:Originally posted by likwit

I was talking about salmon issues with a friend this weekend... the decline of salmon stocks being a primary focus of the discussion. Living in Victoria, the whole size limit for chinooks this march to save the early Fraser run was part of our discussion.

My ranting led me to the issue of river fishing... the opinion i presented was that the river fishery was a key piece of salmon puzzle. IMO, both the 'sport' fishing on the fraser and the native net fishery were as important as any other fishery, in ensuring that a the Fraser stocks would survive.

The salmon that reach the river are the ones that made it. It sounds obvious, i know. But they had the genetics to outlast, outwit and outswim all the predators (animal, human or otherwise) to make it to the mighty river and continue their journey to complete the circle. these are the chosen fish! How sad it is that these fish are not given the respect they deserve.

Thinking about it, any fish caught in the salt has a lower chance of making it to the river. Looking at in that sense, taking 1000 fish out of the ocean, who may have a 50% "river" rate, has a much less of an impact on brood stocks than taking 1000 fish from the river itself. I'm not sure what the return to the river rates actually are... but you can see what i am getting at.

My conclusions:
Any fish that makes it to the river should have a chance to spawn and continue the cycle - to me this seems of the utmost importance if want fish to sustain their own populations in the future

Natives do have a historical right to fish out from the rivers

We need to work together to save our salmon

My Proposition:
Ban sport fishing on the river where natives have historical food fisheries.
Supplement native historical food/commercial fisheries by supporting an ocean based commercial 'style' fishery for natives.

How it would work:
Its obviously less work to net a river to catch a bunch of fish... but its way worse for the stocks.
What if DFO and the powers that be supplemented the extra resources (time and money money money) it required for native bands to catch fish on the salt?
Native groups wouldn't have to reduce their keep/catch, they would just have to do it in the ocean. It might even be reasonable for them to 'legalize' some of the fish selling that already goes on.

It isn't the traditional fishing method, but all groups need to make concessions. I for one wouldn't complain if money from DFO and my licensce fees went to ending the net fishery that occurs on the fraser and other rivers/tributaries.

As a show of concession, any river where natives agreed to stop net fishing would result in a meat fishery ending... if natives stop netting the fraser i don't its fair that sporties continue to snag the fish the native peoples would be working to save.

Thoughts?

April Fools

quote:Originally posted by abbyfireguy

Close river sport fishing???Interesting concept but you will never get the FN to stop netting river fish..Its too easy and cost effective. And to shut down sport fishing in the Fraser is a weak arguement...Sport fishing makes up a very small percentage of numbers actually harvested in the Fraser..
Hoping to solve the Fraser River farce is very admirable,but, greed and big bucks are involved here. If I were a FN member I would be hesitant to give up the cash cow(salmon) too. I can't blame them too much,but the stocks are showing the result of the combined effects of greedy harvesting and environmental pressures..
Being able to reverse the trend will take commitment on all sides(if its not too late already),haven't seen that happen yet,hope it happens soon or we will all become people with distant memories of fish stories ...[:0]

commitment on both sides is what i'm ultimately talking about. saying the natives won't give it up is defeatist. we could just say its ****ed and call it quits, but i was trying to think outside the box.

net fishing is obviously a cash cow, hence me saying we pay the natives to fish elsewhere.

it would take leaders... it would take vision. but maybe with both it could work.

if the natives did agree to stop net fishing, would you support a ban on sport fishing (keeping) at the same time? sure the overall effect may not be as noticeable... but it would be a gesture that we are in this together... if all stakeholders are to ever come together to save the resource that attitude will be required.

quote:Originally posted by likwit

quote:Originally posted by abbyfireguy

commitment on both sides is what i'm ultimately talking about. saying the natives won't give it up is defeatist. we could just say its ****ed and call it quits, but i was trying to think outside the box.

net fishing is obviously a cash cow, hence me saying we pay the natives to fish elsewhere.

it would take leaders... it would take vision. but maybe with both it could work.

if the natives did agree to stop net fishing, would you support a ban on sport fishing (keeping) at the same time? sure the overall effect may not be as noticeable... but it would be a gesture that we are in this together... if all stakeholders are to ever come together to save the resource that attitude will be required.

This MUST be an April fools joke!!!!
So you're saying, because some people are priveledged enough to live near the ocean and own a boat that they should have more opportunity to fish chinook than a Canadian who lives near the Fraser???? The sport chinook catch on the Fraser is tiny compared to the Salt water catch. Sure those are mixed stocks, but many are Fraser river bound .DFO closes the sporties when numbers are low in the river as well. I wouldn't be opposed with a leader length restriction in the Fraser though. Flossing Chinooks ranks down there with gill netting....maybe not quite.

If they close river fishing how are we going to get roe? There's nothing like those big fat spring eggs! ;)

Close sport fishing in the river(for the only people that pay into the fishery)??? How bout take away Natives right to slaughter millions of fish in nets first.

Back