Risk to keep on the trailer with battery tender

TinnyTime

The experts on Facebook recommend not to keep an aluminum boat on the trailer with the battery tender plugged in, due to electrolysis. I dont know what to think about this.

I've been doing it all the time, but hadn't considered any potential issue with it.

What say you guys ?
True or false ? Fact or fiction???

20221107_200251.jpg

Nor sure if that's true. That's a headshaker. Even if it was just turn your battery switch off.

Edit:
I would like to add that even with the battery switch on, any device is that is on will be using the electrical current from the battery, so unless your batteries are under water, or direct shorting, I don't see how that could be physically possible.

Last edited:
Unless this is just bogus (which is very possible).. It could possibly have something to do with leakage current from the tender returning to earth (thru the hull and trailer).

Unless this is just bogus (which is very possible).. It could possibly have something to do with leakage current from the tender returning to earth (thru the hull and trailer).

No way. It's a closed DC system. The earth is not a part of the equation. I understand that yes the charger is plugged into earth, however there is a rectifier and a regulator involved to convert to DC so it's actually a floating ground. Pretty much all power supplies are that way. Please correct if I'm wrong but that's the way I understand electical after 25 years of it

The experts on Facebook recommend not to keep an aluminum boat on the trailer with the battery tender plugged in, due to electrolysis. I dont know what to think about this.

I've been doing it all the time, but hadn't considered any potential issue with it.

What say you guys ?
True or false ? Fact or fiction???

View attachment 86792
Facebook is full of experts. They’re all doctors or lawyers or whatever else it is it takes to answer whatever question they’re trying to answer. I discount 100% of the posts I read on Facebook. Seems to work for me.

Im not even sure why this is a discussion. If the tender is hooked up to the batteries and maintaining the batteries then its doing just that maintaining the batteries, no different than having fully charged batteries sitting in your boat. As ship happens stated you should have your main power switch turned at all times when not in use anyways. If you don't trust the switch then simply disconnect the batteries. Its quite simple and easy to pop on the cables when ready to use.

Im not even sure why this is a discussion. If the tender is hooked up to the batteries and maintaining the batteries then its doing just that maintaining the batteries, no different than having fully charged batteries sitting in your boat. As ship happens stated you should have your main power switch turned at all times when not in use anyways. If you don't trust the switch then simply disconnect the batteries. Its quite simple and easy to pop on the cables when ready to use.

I was skeptical, I wasn't believing this on face value, but wanted to get opinions, as I have a deep seeded fear of electrolysis, like we all probably do. Which is why I raised the discussion.

I thought there was a chance there couldve been something less obvious to it, possibly related leakage current to earth.

Last edited:
just dont leave your bare aluminum on carpeted bunks or bunks that are pressure treated!! the battery stuff sounds like hogwash.

would painted aluminum be okay?
No, I'm bottom painted with epoxy primer plus antifoul... and the wet bunk carpet corroded my hull some, it initially corrodes at small knicks in the bottom paint, then balloons out and next thing you know its everywhere. Its especially due to the abrasion against the bunks when launching/loading, the paint there won't last long, and corrosion starts. I realized the problem and added the plastic bunk sliders. Feel much better about it now.

Back