Risers and Manifolds

abbyfireguy

How long do risers and manifolds last on freshwater cooled engines? I have a 4.3 GM Vortec in my boat. It lives on the Fraser mostly but does make a couple of one week trips to Bamfield every year.
It gets flushed with freshwater if ever in the salt.
Temps all seem normal and no external leaks anywhere.
The boat is a 2000 model,these are original units.
I know not being raw water cooled helps immensely,but how long?

I ran a 26 foot bay liner with a 350 v8, fresh water cooled.
Guided boat with about 800-900 hours per year manifolds
would last about 4 years. No kicker, v8 only engine used......BB

Wow that's a lot of hours.. My main has only 390 hours in 14 years...
Any trolling is on the kicker. Fish off anchor in the river..

I think you should pop the risers off and take a look. Chances are the bolts will break off inside the manifold but i think 12 years is on borrowed time. If the bolts dont break and everything looks good then replace the gaskets and carry on.

You should remove your exhaust manifolds too. You are living on borrowed time. Worst case scenerio is when the risers or manifolds start to leak and a boat is moored. Water can fill up a cylinder and then when you go to start your engine it will hydraulic lock. Water doesn't compress like air so something has to bend/break.

Its good preventative maintenance to pull the risers at the end of every season and clean them out. New gaskets are about $5 each. You can't put a price tag on peace of mind.

Why mess around. You can buy a set of HGE aftermarket manifolds and risers cheap enough. They are very good quality and available in Burnaby( not best choice marine) I'd switch up to the dry joint style and then no worries for years to come.

Not meaning to hijack but I also have a 4.3, model year 2000 and looking at needing Manifolds, risers and extensions all replaced. What is the usual part & labour cost to do such a beast?
thnx

Just the Risers and Manifolds cost me 1400.00. Then the extras which always arise and 100.00 an hour for labour. With taxes I'd say you will be looking at 2500.00 roughly. A mechanic would know better.

Just the Risers and Manifolds cost me 1400.00. Then the extras which always arise and 100.00 an hour for labour. With taxes I'd say you will be looking at 2500.00 roughly. A mechanic would know better.
Boy did they see you coming. My buddy just replaced his and bought a complete kit for $1000 and that included shipping. That was for both manifolds, both risers and gaskets. He did the job himself and he's not that handy, but he did do it and touch wood has not had any problems. It is a fairly easy job. His was a 350 chev motor but I would think that the price should be fairly close.

Saw me coming? Perhaps, but I' m sure you are aware that there is quite a difference in prices between manufacturers. I went with Sierra after doing my research. Could have gone cheaper with HGE and had I gone for Volvo Penta, much more expensive. Price them out, I did. The main producers I looked at were Barr, Sierra, Volvo and HGE. After I got quotes I also looked at feedback on the products before making my choice. Your buddy may have saved 400.00 on parts but if they crap out in a couple of years will he be happy ? As for labour its always cheaper to do it yourself, so no argument there!

WOW thats awful high Ziggy i did my 350 at about 900 bucks manifold and risers with the dry joint ones which are way better like someone else said
We can agree on this one 2 Wolf. I just did the same thing. Those HGE parts looked very good IMO.

http://www.hgemarine.com/products/manifolds/mercruiser-replacement-hge-5735.html

http://www.hgemarine.com/products/risers/mercruiser-replacement-hge-4309.html

notice how there isnt any thin water walls anymore at the ends and they use teflon gaskets to seal easy to install anyone with any mechanical bones in them can do it.

Good luck Wolf
We can agree on this one Wolf. I just did the same job. Those HGE manifolds looked awfully good to me

Sorry Ziggy didn't mean any by that comment, just $2500 just seams like a lot. His were the Occo?/Barr I believe. And yes I'm sure there are different quality manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense taken!

mine are cheap in the 3L are like 300.00 or so... U take two on 4.3 should be no more than 700.00..I would take them back if you can.... that price is ridiculous.

Too late for this time but if you have a supplier that can provide decent quality risers and manifolds for 700.00. I'd sure be willing to use them! Is it a local source or are you ordering online? If online what site?

Back