rigging anchovies

Anyone know where to get fresh anchovy anywhere between Seattle and Campbell River?

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Bravefart

The brine mixture I use is simple, water & pickling salt, just enough water to make a slurry, keeps your bait nice and firm.
Davie
How long do you have to soak them in the brine solution until they are ready? Can you then freeze them?

quote:Originally posted by Gerry

quote:Originally posted by Bravefart

The brine mixture I use is simple, water & pickling salt, just enough water to make a slurry, keeps your bait nice and firm.
Davie
How long do you have to soak them in the brine solution until they are ready? Can you then freeze them?

Hey Gerry
Yes I freeze leftover anchovies or herring I try to put them in a little cooler the night before, or even a couple of hours prior to getting out there will work for you. They keep fairly well. I don,t keep them too long as they are usually used up in a week.
There are lots of recipes for brine mixes if you do a search. For instance some prefer to add powdered milk for a sheen.

The only thing consistent about fishing is it is never consistent.

In my mooching days up at Pender Harbour, used up all the nice fresh live herring without a bite. Found a package of old herring at the back of the boat freezer this bait was so old it had turned yellow. Put it out there and bang bang a double header within minutes, go figure.
Anyway I seem to do okay with Coyote spoons with little fuss, but most people prefer there anchovies.
Most people that fish on the Island go with the anchovies with great success. If the fishing seems slow and I don't see fish being caught, I change to various spoons or hootchies, if nobody else is catching, its worth trying something else.

Cheers
Davie.

dman you can get good bait at two places that I know of johns sporting goods in everett north on broadway around 19th st and holiday market which is west just off I-5 on the left hand side. holiday mkt might be an easier off and on the freeway. when are you headed up to cambell river. the anchovy price is around 4.99 comapared to 7.99 in canada. get what you need.. dragonballs..

I like the "silver bullet" roll myself, but my eagerness to get gear in the water sometimes leads to wider rolls than I'd like.

The purists I fish with sometimes spend a lot more time than I can bear getting that perfect roll. Without the wire, toothpicks in the anchovy can also be used to get it just the right curve (or more likely to straighten it up, if roll's too wide).

Anyways, my tip for the day: the new JDF teaser heads seem to be better designed for a tight roll. Get the hook in, pretty much no bend in the bait at all, and it swivels like a dream. Fish on!

:)

Growing up fishing the ECVI, we always strip-cast and motor mooched with fresh herring. Rather than teaser heads, we rigged the herring by inserting a single hook through the eye socket twice, forming a loop that kept the mouth closed...then bending the herring by inserting the hook in the body (same as with teaser). The roll was entirely created by the hook location in the herring. I always put the hook through the herring from the opposite side (pass the line and hook under the belly, insert hook from opposite side)...the hook shank pressing up on the belly kinks the herring producing a wicked roll that usually outfished my Dad (he was too stubborn to take advice from his kid).
Anyhow...back to anchovies...inserting the hook in the opposite side with a teaser head also produces a nice roll...something to try out if they're not biting.

Back