rigging anchovies

nedarb2

when i rig my anchovies i am only ever able to get a "cone revolution" where the head stays nice and tight, but the tail is doing larger loops. What needs to be done to tighten the tail up to get a nice tight roll? Do i need to move the hook forward/back? add more or less curve to the anchovie? ive tried adding more curve thinking that was the problem and even tried putting that pice of wire in the fish to holdthe curve but it didnt do anything. I hook the treble in right next to dorsal fin. Thanks

Hmmm where do I begin. Well I like to use rys davis head holders. Anchovie specials do just fine. Use about a medium sized treble.

anchovieim4.png

sry about the poor art skills ;) But that is about the spot I set my hook... along the lateral line... down from the end of the dorsal fin. Brineing your bait seems to make a difference also in the tightness of the roll. And don't be afraid to give it a twist. Grab the tail and twist it slightly in a counter clockwise direction. (works best with brined leathery bait). I can get a pretty good roll going. At least the fish seem to like it. We were into about 40 springs last yr in the alberni derby. They liked the "twist" just fine.

Nebarb a tail whipping chovie is not always a bad thing.When the fishing is slow and I am changing things up i'll sometimes rig one to whip.But if you want the bullet spin there is a few ways to go about it. First try running a trailer hook this puts some drag on the back of the bait.Next as Robert mentioned hook the bait a little lower about 2/3 up from the belly to the back ,and just behind the dorsil as Roberts pic shows.I never put to much of a bend in the bait just so it is noticable, and let the head do the rest.To much bend seems to speed it up to much. Give these tips a try and see how you make out.

Do you insert the trailer hook in the tail, or leave it hanging free?

Thanks

dman
I tend to set the hook a little higher than robert.
Good artwork by the way robert especially the tail.
Also the eye of the hook flush with the anchovy.
IMO a good bullet roll is the best

As Barbender mentioned equal to or just behind the tail.I also try to get the tight roll however there has been times for me when one that is whipping has worked.

Do you guys find the size of the anchovie makes a difference?
Seems it is harder to get a tight roll on larger bait.

Thanks very much. I've never used anchovy before, but plan on trying it out in Nootka this August.

thanks very much guys,
it sounds like ive been putting too much curve and the hook too high i think. Ill try that twist technique too.
THanks again!

The front hook (the one in the bait) I use a 2/0 treble the trailer I run a 4/0 treble or a 4/0 or 5/0 single octopus or siwash.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

when i rig my anchovies i am only ever able to get a "cone revolution" where the head stays nice and tight, but the tail is doing larger loops. What needs to be done to tighten the tail up to get a nice tight roll? Do i need to move the hook forward/back? add more or less curve to the anchovie? ive tried adding more curve thinking that was the problem and even tried putting that pice of wire in the fish to hold the curve but it didnt do anything. I hook the treble in right next to dorsal fin. Thanks
I found that there is less damage to the bait using the wire method. It keeps the bait "fishable" for a longer time and keeps your roll consistant.
The wire size I use is the copper ground wire found in 14/2 loomex, buy a couple of feet at the Home Depot throw away the black & white wire. I cut the wire to size cutting at an angle giving you a point which makes it easier to insert into the bait.
Works for me.

Davie

I attach a wire directly to the teaser head. I heat up a peice of wire with a lighter and then melt two small holes in the long side of the teaser head. I weave the wire through the two holes. Then I have a teaser head with a wire sticking out of it.

I run the wire behind the gill, just under the skin. This keeps my brined chovies rolling all day long and it's very easy to adjust the roll.

I use 3/0 octopus trailer.

Good luck.

The brine mixture I use is simple, water & pickling salt, just enough water to make a slurry, keeps your bait nice and firm.
Davie

Never been a big fan of the wire method,,, for me personally the more natural I can keep it the better... The roll is something I think is what you feel confident in,,, if it works for you run it,, I mean you can't have a wild run but as long as its close,,, good enough... The whole theory behind a Crippled head is just that a crippled head,, not every injured chovie acts the same and as such neither should you're bait...
You know what is the best way ??? the one that catches the fish.. today it might be mine tomorrow who knows... My point is there is no exact way just go with what feels right and works for you..

Bingo Walleyes it seems it changes and you have to experiment with what YOU like to use and what YOU are confident in thats the key if you are not confident in your stuff dont know why but you cant get fish its weird that way.
I reacall once up guiding went from the norm threw out this weird kinked style flop and it hammered them it was the grosses thing I ever saw but that is the luxury of fish different areas time and more time. experiment you may be surprised!!!!

Good luck Wolf

hey wolf are you up in blackfish sound? hows the fishing?
any predictions for the first week of august for fishing?
do you knwo if new regs/closures are out for the area or posted/dated yet?
thanks!

Look at what I wrote in the blackfish sound post Nebarb2 its all there for you!!!

Wolf

Back