Rigger mounted rodholders, who has what?

Just turn the second Orca upside down and both sides will press on the hinge side! Simple.
Mmm don’t know about this one. The new Orcas are designed in which it takes downward pressure on the bottom of the rod holder while simultaneously up press on the top of the holder in order for them to open. If you flip them up side down it will be naturally doing this. Now you are looking for them to open on their own.

Mmm don’t know about this one. The new Orcas are designed in which it takes downward pressure on the bottom of the rod holder while simultaneously up press on the top of the holder in order for them to open. If you flip them up side down it will be naturally doing this. Now you are looking for them to open on their own.

the way the orcas clamp shut, the port side needs to be upside down. was unaware of any changes.’i punted my orcas cause they were destroying my corks.

Maybe I have the old Orca style because you can't tell the difference on either side when opening them; and one is upside down. Almost 10 years and not a single dicey moment with them.

Maybe I have the old Orca style because you can't tell the difference on either side when opening them; and one is upside down. Almost 10 years and not a single dicey moment with them.

Your just lucky those haven't opened on you yet. I lost mine over side last year, and pulled them.

Roger that...was just trying to explain my situation and why it works well for boats configured similar to my tub. The big benefit over the season is being able to avoid the weeds, the weeds....aaaaahhhh.
The fish always seem to like the weeds

This made the rounds from last weekend...doh
This is first hand. Same happend on a buddies boat as well (he wasn't as lucky to keep his rod/reel). I won't ever trust this setup again. Changed this setup with Striker on the gunnels. I think the 247 Dual Rod Holder would work, given it's not a seperate piece connected to the base.

I would note....Scotty did a FANTASTIC job and remedying the situation, as always their customer service rocks!
There's a simple reason these ones snapped and something Scotty should mention or remedy.

Look at the way the mounting post is positioned into the base mount. Perpendicular to the force of the line pulling on the rod, which would come parallel to the boat. Think of it like grains in wood longitudinal and lateral are going to have very different strengths when you apply pressure to them.

If that mount was shifted 90 degrees you'd have, what? 2.5" of plastic and more longitudinal support, rather than a half-inch of plastic? that was taking the full force of the rod.

Simple fix that can probably save a lot of gear.

Can anybody recommend some decent quality stainless steel or aluminum rail mount rod holders that you can mount on a Scotty 1.5 inch arm that don't cost $100+ USD?

I just use the boom mounted holders on my 1101's. Bought used, came with the riggers. I've never had an issue with them, seem to work fine so never changed them out. Maybe you have to reach out a bit further to pull the rod out, but other than that, they get the job done. You can adjust the pitch, but not the fore/aft angle, so maybe that would be an issue for those who want to adjust that. Personally I prefer the rods perpendicular to the gunnel.

SCO-1101-2.jpg

Last edited:
Your just lucky those haven't opened on you yet. I lost mine over side last year, and pulled them.
Physically impossible to open itself once you flip the one side upside down and both rods press onto the hinge side of the holders. You must be a BAD engineer that you haven't figured this out yet! lol

Physically impossible to open itself once you flip the one side upside down and both rods press onto the hinge side of the holders. You must be a BAD engineer that you haven't figured this out yet! lol

Nope. I did exactly what you said still opened. Plus yours are the old style ones. Happened twice on new syle ones I had.

I tried orcas when they first came out years ago. Had the folbes before on my jet boat for sturgeon fishing. Couple days after using them while fishing out front at the sandheads, I just bumped the rod butt by accident, then rod gone. Thank god I was able to retrieve it as it was still on the clip. Would have been a sad day loosing a 1200 dollar rod and reel. Those rod holders are useless. Not needed in any situation as far as I'm concerned. They wont hold an avet reel with a reel clamp on it. I just ended up throwing them on one of my river boats and permanently locking the things so people wont loose their gear. They dont open and close smooth enough and will not take rod tension.

Years go I went to a forward mounted rod holder on the gunnel.

As far as boom mounted ? Too hard to reach for them. I've seen guys struggle getting them out with big fish on. I seen my buddy loose grip of a custom built HMX rod and a 400 dollar reel with a fish on the other end just offshore in ukee.bye bye. Nightmare. After that trip we switch all the boats to gunnel mounted rod holders. That was a special rod. Sad day

Good luck. Find out what works best for your boat.

My 2 cents

I find the orca works great on the starboard side, but not so much on the port side as the angle of the rod pushes up and against the clasp - looks too sketchy. So I run orca starboard and striker on the port gunwhale ‍♂️

Attachments

• 8EDD70D5-EBEF-4D79-8D8E-2C70CE90A1DD.jpeg
    8EDD70D5-EBEF-4D79-8D8E-2C70CE90A1DD.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 37
I became concerned with the stock tube-style Scotty’s (very old). They were starting to flex more than I liked, though no cracks. I bought two Goture brand off Amazon. They’re cheap stainless, about $26 each I believe. I drilled through the mounting plate so I could through-bolt them through the boom so they don’t twist under tension. They have worked well for my application. You can see in this photo the center bolt I put through the boom.

My older dad does find it tougher to pull the rod out of the boom-mounted holders when under tension but I usually do that anyway and set the hook before handing him the rod. 59E2DE8F-0221-48A6-A602-F8C41728C042.jpeg

The first generation of orca holders were known to pop open on the port side of the boat due to the way the holder opened. Since then the problem has been fixed on the second generation holders. In my opinion they are the best for trolling for salmon. For halibut I wouldn’t use boom mounted riggers as I’ve seen a few actually break right off the rigger.

I became concerned with the stock tube-style Scotty’s (very old). They were starting to flex more than I liked, though no cracks. I bought two Goture brand off Amazon. They’re cheap stainless, about $26 each I believe. I drilled through the mounting plate so I could through-bolt them through the boom so they don’t twist under tension. They have worked well for my application. You can see in this photo the center bolt I put through the boom.

My older dad does find it tougher to pull the rod out of the boom-mounted holders when under tension but I usually do that anyway and set the hook before handing him the rod. View attachment 63770
not gonna lie i just wanna see more pics of your kick butt boat; forget your rod holders !

Back