Revolution documentary

JAC

Hey guys,

Just watched the revolution doc on HBO Canada. Great film watch if you get a chance, if what they are saying is true we have a lot to think about. UN scientist are saying know more fish in the ocean by 2050 that not to far away!!!

OK, that's a massive hyperbole..."no more fish in the ocean"... it's claims like that and those by people like David Suzuki about ocean levels rising meters in the next few decades that put a huge dent in environmental credibilities. While I believe there will be less, that is an unsubstantiated claim.

2050 is along way away in these fast destructive times. I wouldnt say all but id believe 80% of what there is now.

Hey Im just the messenger and I'm guess the guys that are predict this aren't dummy's. They said over fishing is one thing but the acidity in the ocean is rising and it kill off the coral and zoo plankton. Ones you start to kill off this guys it's a chain reaction. Watch the film let me know what you think. Coal power plants are the worst they are the ones doing the fastest damage to the ocean. 44% of USA is power by coal, china is building 360 new coal generators a year. These pipe lines and coals mines here in b.c might be do more damage then we think or know.

I can believe it. Species need lots of time to adapt to environmental changes. Humans can stay indoors, turn up the heat, turn up the air conditioner, wear an air filter, raise our own food outside the laws of nature etc etc. Anyone with blinders on when it comes to the climate and the environment is a fool and a part of the overall problem.

e
Hey Im just the messenger and I'm guess the guys that are predict this aren't dummy's. They said over fishing is one thing but the acidity in the ocean is rising and it kill off the coral and zoo plankton. Ones you start to kill off this guys it's a chain reaction. Watch the film let me know what you think. Coal power plants are the worst they are the ones doing the fastest damage to the ocean. 44% of USA is power by coal, china is building 360 new coal generators a year. These pipe lines and coals mines here in b.c might be do more damage then we think or know.

Right on JAC! The scientists that are studying the climate and environmental effects of our accelerating output of C02 are no dummies. And there are hundreds of them working on it all over the world. Yet the IPCC comes out with its latest report containing dire warnings and the authors and environmentalists are attacked as not "credible". It just blows my mind that lay people think they know more than the collective knowledge of all those scientific minds.

People do not understand the runaway negative feedback loops that are going to occur. There is a huge amount of methane frozen in the tundra of Siberia and Canada. Methane is a far worse greenhouse gas than CO2. As a little of that goes up, it multiplies the effect, which releases more methane etc. in a runaway. Ocean levels will indeed rise metres in the coming decades, notwithstanding Serengeti guide finding such claims "not credible". On the contrary his “not credible” claim is in fact incredible!

And a similar runaway collapse of fisheries will occur due to ocean acidification. The dropping pH levels attacks the basis of the food chain - the plankton and microscopic shellfish. A couple of shellfish aquaculture companies have already moved to Hawaii because acidification here is a problem with seeding the oyster spat.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018496037_oysters22m.html

But that is only a temporary reprieve………..

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/study-oceans-suffer-silent-storm-of-acidification/123

Last edited by a moderator:
will there be zero fish, of course not. But by 2050 easily all major populations could crash, things can happen very very fast. All you need is a problem in the northern feeding grounds of salmon to wipe out an entire year class up and down the coast.

Then why is one of the largest environmental figureheads, David Suzuki, lauding China on their environmental policies saying they are better than Canada's (even before Harper's downtown on the issue), as well as people like Trudeau lauding their environmental record as well?

It's called politics.
If Harper or anyone blasts china's environmental record and says they are destroying the earth do you think Canadians will want to ship fossil fuels to them?

Links to the effects here in the SoG
http://bcsga.ca/ocean-acidification/
The video is well worth a watch

Many of us on this forum understand the danger of "business as usual" carbon path.
Some try to do something and others deny it's a problem.
My risk tolerance is low and I chose to do something.
GLG

I always thought Canada was a clean country, but we are one of the worst. Maybe we are not burning the stuff at the rate of china but we're selling it to them. In the movie, they say the tar sands are pretty much the worst thing going and the damage it is doing may not be reversible. This is more than the fish in the ocean, if the oceans go down the land will follow. This has happened 5 times before but never as quickly as we are heading there now. I'm not a scientist, just a guy that watches the news and so documentry's. I'm worried about what we are going to have left here for our kids or grand kids.

I think it is time that more of us (myself included) started supporting, joining and working for groups and organizations that are trying to educate people about how bad things are getting, while trying to influence our decision makers to make more environmentally sustainable decisions... before things get even worse. My 2 bits.

I think it is time that more of us (myself included) started supporting, joining and working for groups and organizations that are trying to educate people about how bad things are getting, while trying to influence our decision makers to make more environmentally sustainable decisions... before things get even worse. My 2 bits.

I think your right. We talk about it all the time but we are all the problem. For example my wife and I were talking about this as I make a coffee from out tassimo single cup coffee make. These plastic disk warp in a cardboard box Wraped in plastic again. The amount of garbage from one cup of coffee is unreal, yes they are nice and convenient but these things should be banned!!!! Back to the normal coffee pot for us, we're going to have to start small.

That is what we need to do, that we can get everyone on board is a different matter. :)
I think your right. We talk about it all the time but we are all the problem. For example my wife and I were talking about this as I make a coffee from out tassimo single cup coffee make. These plastic disk warp in a cardboard box Wraped in plastic again. The amount of garbage from one cup of coffee is unreal, yes they are nice and convenient but these things should be banned!!!! Back to the normal coffee pot for us, we're going to have to start small.

Right on - this is exactly what we need to do - start small and grow from there! If we keep it up WE become a powerful force for positive and sustainable change for the future!!!

Im comin over to check Jordan

Right on - this is exactly what we need to do - start small and grow from there! If we keep it up WE become a powerful force for positive and sustainable change for the future!!!

Agree that every new generation is being handed down an increasingly degraded biosphere from the previous gen. like Russian roulette, seems the bullet could already be in the chamber. Time to write a new story. An amazing read and it is free on line or you can help out and buy it. Moneyless Manifesto written by a former business dude and economist. I would think if there is to be a step in the right direction it's gotta start in our morning mirror.

Back