Retired DFO scientist plans wild salmon research expedition in Gulf of Alaska

Sounds like professional jealousy to me. As you and I have discussed in the past,Beamish certainly had (has) his faults, but Hargreaves was also known as a maverick and was no stranger to controversy.

I am curious why you posted this - do you not trust the man or the project he is initiating?

no i don't Dave - and thanks for asking.

I don't believe in hero worship - simply because you think you have to defend someone you believe is on your "team" - whether that be a DFO employee or a NGO employee. You've likely read my posts on NGOs - esp Watson and the Sea Shepherd bunch as an example. They are not what I consider to be "my team". In fact - I repudiate the assumption that we even have to pick teams based on personalities verses the data/science.

I believe that both Noakes and Beamish have amply demonstrated their biases in the past - and I believe that yet again - Beamish is again demonstrating his. Whether or not this proposed swan-song pet project of Beamish has anything meaningful to contribute remains yet to be seen.

On the other hand - I sure respect and admire Kristi's search for the truth and her obvious integrity.

Last edited:
I dunno aa ... I just read the program proposal again and can't understand why you would not endorse this kind of research. Beamish has the rep to secure funding; not many others have his international clout and ability to pull this off. Fishery collaboration between Pacific rim counties surely can't be bad, even if led by an acknowledged fish farm supporter.
Most likely Miller-Saunders lab will be involved anyway.

We wouldn’t want to actually learn something that our Government should have knowledge about.

Who would not want this information. So sad that the government agency responsible has never done anything like this.

In theory - I am supportive of efforts to "understand fish population dynamics" as Beamish has been quoted - if that is indeed what this is.

I think we have all been around long enough to experience and understand that advertising can be misleading - and real motives can be hidden.

In addition, Beamish decided to publicly unveil his proposed project during a fish farm industry meeting in Campbell River - where his funders/supporters attended the meeting - the fish farmers. The reason why announcements are done with funders in the room is for the organizers to tell the funders they are looking out for the funders interests (and not the "public's" interests). So what are the interests of the FF companies? What is their expected return on their investment here?

I ask myself why fish farming companies wish to fund research many thousands of km away from where their impacts are, or would be expected to be - and not in the area of expected FF impacts - but instead on whether or not the Russians fish too much? Why would FF companies care if the Russians fish too much? And why Beamish? Could it be the old switch and bait tactic? Beamish has done this before as far as I am concerned - and others (read Hargreave's email) - and for the FF industry. Maybe I just answered my own questions...

I would feel more comfortable if Kristi was aboard. Guess we'll see...

Last edited:
Really, this is your big concern that Beamish has set this up?

Why are you not upset that DFO has never done this?

Are you implying that you do not agree with peer reviewed information from Beamish ?

In theory - I am supportive of efforts to "understand fish population dynamics" as Beamish has been quoted - if that is indeed what this is.

I think we have all been around long enough to experience and understand that advertising can be misleading - and real motives can be hidden.

In addition, Beamish decided to publicly unveil his proposed project during a fish farm industry meeting in Campbell River - where his funders/supporters attended the meeting - the fish farmers. The reason why announcements are done with funders in the room is for the organizers to tell the funders they are looking out for the funders interests (and not the "public's" interests). So what are the interests of the FF companies? What is their expected return on their investment here?

I ask myself why fish farming companies wish to fund research many thousands of km away from where their impacts are, or would be expected to be - and not in the area of expected FF impacts - but instead on whether or not the Russians fish too much? Why would FF companies care if the Russians fish too much? And why Beamish? Could it be the old switch and bait tactic? Beamish has done this before as far as I am concerned - and others (read Hargreave's email) - and for the FF industry. Maybe I just answered my own questions...

I would feel more comfortable if Kristi was aboard. Guess we'll see...

I'll reserve judgement to see what the proposed and funded methodology actually states verses the press releases before I comment on the usefulness, relevance and adequacy of the study.

No can't say that I expect (at this time) this proposed study to be a "holy grail", yet.

Last edited:
I'll reserve judgement to see what the proposed and funded methodology actually states verses the press releases before I comment on the usefulness, relevance and adequacy of the study.

No can't say that I expect (at this time) this proposed study to be a "holy grail", yet.

so what your saying is your going to ignore the science conducted and just attack the scientist and were he was funded? i thought you always follow the science? even tho you keep posting news articles and such. has it ever occured to you that the farm companies will fund such projects in order to "clear the air"?

ummmm.... no science yet, bones. read the news article. It's a PROPOSED project - and no real details of methodology and expected management outcomes explained in that article. And has it occurred to you that FF companies would like to point fingers elsewhere to shift the public's focus on their accountability - if they can?

Exactly its proposed........ So your only left with attacking the funding and trying to discredit the scientist, BEFORE THE PROJECT HAS EVEN STARTED, Classic BS.

If you were really interested in sport fishing and salmon restoration you would have held back on your opinion and just waited for the papers.

Let me help you read my posts, bones:

Maybe it's time to get a pair of reader glasses - happens to many of us bones - once we reach a certain age. No need to be ashamed...

Again - you're welcome! :)

No need for glasses or personal attacks, again. These are your words..... Your not liking what's happening and people are starting to see this. This is why most of the time you respond by attacking the individual not the content..... Carry on with the name calling and throwing sand.

Back