Restoration project

twinwinds

I thought I would post a few pics of a restoration project that i just finished on Sandhill creek which flows into Saanichton Bay.
We removed a large wooden culvert that was roughly 70 ft long and 5 ft in Diameter, It was impassable for salmon and was not accommodating the high water flows during winter storms.
The whole area was replanted with native trees and plants then hydro seeded to help stabilize the bank til plant roots take hold.
I now have my transplant permits in order and will be restocking with Coho this year......
The first 2 pics are finished pics before planting and the last pic is what it looks like further upstream.
Cheers

P1040826.jpg

P1040827.jpg

culvertproject040.jpg

culvertproject095.jpg

culvertproject149.jpg

culvertproject099.jpg

chumfishin001.jpg

Nice! Whereabout was that culvert? I am quite familiar with the Tsawout reserve. Is that maybe the East Saanich Rd crossing at Tony's property?

Oh yeah, right on! Forgot, the one in Tony's backyard is only a trib of Sandhill. Good on you guys! Keep going!

Good on you TW!

A few hundred more good soles like you and "Wham-O!" we got wild salmon again!

What part? the over all project? If you mean the project over all that would be me! It took me 3 yrs of political BS to get this done. Too many groups pointing fingers at each other rather than just being responsible and getting the job done and doing whats right!
Plus a little proposal writing to acquire funds since it wasn't cheap.

quote:Originally posted by cpony

Who organized the project?

Back