Resistance to fish hatcheries?

Lot of good themes there .. The push for habitat enhancement and restoration of habitat are long term objectives . But if we want salmon and trout , then hatcheries and proper fisheries management and habitat rehab are key. I dont buy into the repetitive Hatcheries are BAD theme. I have seen too many small hatcheries that have brought streams alive after poor fishing practices and habitat loss ( urbanization , agricultural, and forestry ) led to the extinction of native stocks. Some times it comes down to what do you want ? Hatchery fish or NO fish. ? The mantra of the BCFDF is one that I support fully .. " Not necessarily hatcheries, but hatcheries where necessary. " BTW Deryk-- I guess you spotted the pic of the coho male that was labeled as a chinook ?? LOL

All I see with a push for these articles are NGO groups wanting to control enhancement money. Read between the lines.

We already to see it happening with groups like Raincoast spending millions on lower Fraser estuary project.

I would be curious to see how these projects are awarded. What was selection criteria from government?

Not to say projects aren't good but it really does seem there is push for paid environmentalists to run these programs.

I am kind of sick of hearing people that think they know everything personally trying to get employment.

Our money would be better spent with our volunteers. The boots on ground people.

Just my view

Last edited:
All I see with a push for these articles are NGO groups wanting to control enhancement money. Read between the lines.

We already to see it happening with groups like Raincoast spending millions on lower Fraser estuary project.

I would be curious to see how these projects are awarded. What was selection criteria from government?

Not to say projects aren't good but it really does seem there is push for paid environmentalists to run these programs.

I am kind of sick of hearing people that think they know everything personally trying to get employment.

Our money would be better spent with our volunteers. The boots on ground people.

Just my view
Nothing against volunteers they are great and are a huge part of helping the fisheries however having people who's job it is to focus on restoration would be best. Volunteers do what they can but when you have a job and life its impossible to put in what a professional working full time could. DFO and the province should be investing in this side of the fishery the money would be well spent, there are many people with boots on the ground that aren't in the fishing community with degrees and areas of expertise that could do a lot of good for fish habitat if our government would only put focus on rebuilding stocks rather than watching them tank. DFO's only solution is to stop recreational fishing which has little benefit for stocks and divides us from some of the great people outside the recreational fishing community that have the same goals as us. Buddy next door that volunteers to help you fix your motor is great but the guys who do it professionally every day would likely do a better job and faster. The big difference is our government can afford professionals for the same reason we might not be able to afford professionals, all our taxes. I'm not saying giving tax dollars to non governmental organizations but actual jobs with DFO creating a department focused on restoration without influence from any special interest groups. Our government has no problem spending hundreds of millions on oil spill prevention boats and crews that aren't actually going to be able clean a spill anyways, why not spend a fraction of that on declining salmon which are the most important reason to have spill prevention in the first place.

I think it is very valid what SV and others post about ENGOs always looking for money from every available source including government funding envelopes as well as little old ladies with too many cats and urban cappuccino slurpers. But I believe there are additional comments to be made:

1/ Not all ENGOs are necessarily the same wrt honesty, efficiency, expertise and outcomes. I would submit that the Pacific Salmon Foundation. the T Buck Suzuki Foundation, and the Atlantic Salmon Federation are 3 solid, trustworthy, effective, professional ENGOs that consistently help resolve numerous issues around Pacific Salmon and things like habitat issues, the worst ones IMHO (SSS, IFAw and the like) are pretty obvious.
2/ Consulting firms are a similar spectrum of honesty, efficiency, expertise and outcomes and also gobble up lots of government monies but never seem to be under the same scrutiny as ENGOs,
3/ Most times actual professional guidance is necessary, as Steeler pointed out above - for the reasons Steeler already listed. Some of those best outcomes are apparent within PSF and ASF projects - and often those ENGOs also bring their own funding into those projects.

Last edited:
We will have no fisheries in saltwater or freshwater without the help of hatcheries.
sad fact is if current trends continue in the long term we will have no salmon fisheries with or without hatcheries. All hatcheries can do is pump young salmon into the ocean via the rivers. If current trends of climate change and population growth in our area continue the salmon released will not survive to return as adults.

You might want to listen to/ watch Dr Lackey's talk Top Ten Reasons Why Wild Salmon runs Collapsed. Agentaqua posted the link above.

Well I don't personally care about the Sierra Club or many other ENGOs. But I do recognize that some people do - and some of those people are elected representatives and other decision-makers. I also recognize that the Sierra Club and some other ENGOs have a narrative they wish to promote and within some of these public narratives; there are occasional nuggets that may be truthful and maybe should be addressed - along with often copious other unsubstantiated assertions. I always think it is better to know what they are telling people - esp any decision makers - so that rebuttals & additional information are also available to any decision makers & the general public.

Last edited:

I look forward to seeing the report

Back