Resistance to fish hatcheries?

With the $ collected from licenses/tags (won't get into the mass gov over spend in every other area) all hatcheries should have more funding and support. Especially where folks are donating their time (time is a persons most precious resource IMO).

There are really only 3 ways anyone can impact salmon stocks the 3 H's...... Habitat, Hatchery & Harvest.

The other 99% of the equation happens in the deep blue sea out of our control!

Have we gotten anywhere near the original goals of the SEP which was to return salmon abundance to near historical (ie 1900) levels via artificial enhancement? No! In the interim the genetic diversity and abundance of hundreds of watersheds has been drastically eroded or even lost. The SEP was an absolute failure.

The number of juvenile salmon released out of Canadian hatcheries is a fraction of what is released by other countries either from hatcheries or commercial salmon ranching.

The real problem was believing hatchery fish could replace wild stocks . They are not at all equivalent in quality or quantity. While some hatcheries seems to succeed ( the Chilliwack; Roberstson Creek) other are failures and have been closed. They are a path on the route to extinction. Community hatcheries on streams where wild production has been seriously compromised by habitat loss seem a path to true enhancement.

Thanks for the reality check on the upper Fraser, Dave. Depressing. I think I'm gonna have to find a (small) bottle of Scotch after reading your post and stoke-up. I heard about 17 years ago we might end up here - and it's sad we have.
And as sure as this came true I can tell you that only a few years after the last hatchery gets closed the last salmon will die in these streams.

There is an abundance of scientific information that indicates hatchery reproduction genetically alters at least some salmonid species from there wild parents. This isn't even taking into account the loss of months or even years of in stream survival skills necessary for them to return as adults and spawn. Here are some links that support the hypothesis that hatchery reared fish have dramatically lower survival rates:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10641-011-9783-5

Wild chinook salmon survive better than hatchery salmon in a period of poor production​

we carried out an extensive study of the early marine survival of the hatchery and wild juvenile chinook salmon. ... This six to 24 times difference in survival could negate an estimated increased egg-to-smolt survival of about 13% that is theorized to result through the use of a hatchery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3352433/

Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild​

Accumulating data indicate that hatchery fish have lower fitness in natural environments than wild fish. This fitness decline can occur very quickly, sometimes following only one or two generations of captive rearing

http://kintama.com/wp-content/uploa...rvival-difference-between-wild-and-hatche.pdf

Marine survival difference between wild and hatchery-reared steelhead trout determined during early down stream migration

7%–13% of wild smolts and 30%–40% of hatchery smolts died in the first 3 km of the migration.Estimated survival from release to ocean entry was 71%–84% for wild fish and 26%–40% for hatchery fish and to exit from theStrait of Georgia system was 22%–33% for wild fish and 3.5%–6.7% for hatchery fish. A calculated 2.3-fold survival differenceestablished during the downstream migration
I'd also note that this study found that hatchery steelhead smolts took 10 times longer to transit the river to the estuary than wild fish and had 3x the in river mortality.

In BC since the SEP hatcheries went on line anglers both in tidal and non-tidal water have reported perceived negative differences between hatchery salmon and the wild salmon they largely replaced; they were smaller, they migrated from the ocean to freshwater faster, they traveled deeper in the water column, they were less inclined to bite.

My own experience with cutthroat trout, coho and steelhead (hard to compare chinook since they are not marked) is that hatchery fish are usually significantly smaller, weaker (ie pull on the line) and visibly appeared less fit than wild fish . By less fit I mean thinner for their length, and more frequent damage to fins and skin.

Another concern is that hatchery fish by sheer weight of numbers may over compete for habitat, feed and spawning space, both in stream and in the ocean.

There is an abundance of scientific information that indicates hatchery reproduction genetically alters at least some salmonid species from there wild parents. This isn't even taking into account the loss of months or even years of in stream survival skills necessary for them to return as adults and spawn. Here are some links that support the hypothesis that hatchery reared fish have dramatically lower survival rates:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10641-011-9783-5

Wild chinook salmon survive better than hatchery salmon in a period of poor production​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3352433/

Fitness of hatchery-reared salmonids in the wild​

http://kintama.com/wp-content/uploa...rvival-difference-between-wild-and-hatche.pdf

Marine survival difference between wild and hatchery-reared steelhead trout determined during early down stream migration

I'd also note that this study found that hatchery steelhead smolts took 10 times longer to transit the river to the estuary than wild fish and had 3x the in river mortality.

In BC since the SEP hatcheries went on line anglers both in tidal and non-tidal water have reported perceived negative differences between hatchery salmon and the wild salmon they largely replaced; they were smaller, they migrated from the ocean to freshwater faster, they traveled deeper in the water column, they were less inclined to bite.

My own experience with cutthroat trout, coho and steelhead (hard to compare chinook since they are not marked) is that hatchery fish are usually significantly smaller, weaker (ie pull on the line) and visibly appeared less fit than wild fish . By less fit I mean thinner for their length, and more frequent damage to fins and skin.

Another concern is that hatchery fish by sheer weight of numbers may over compete for habitat, feed and spawning space, both in stream and in the ocean.

Hey I saw this link on springer somewhere on a similar FB discussion. That's interesting.

Last edited:
I have heard that Robertson Creek chinook stock have displaced or genetically contaminated (compromised) virtually every wild chinook stock on the central West Coast of the Island. Bob Hooton in his book Days of River past stated the entire chinook run on the Gold has been replaced by Robertson Creek stock. He called the Robertson Creek hatchery an example of how not to manage a hatchery.

I have heard that Robertson Creek chinook stock have displaced or genetically contaminated (compromised) virtually every wild chinook stock on the central West Coast of the Island. Bob Hooton in his book Days of River past stated the entire chinook run on the Gold has been replaced by Robertson Creek stock. He called the Robertson Creek hatchery an example of how not to manage a hatchery.
Oh look tonight Robertson Creek is another target now.

So now Bob's getting quoted..... this getting more interesting. ;) Keep shoveling....

Hey maybe you could bring up your theory on that all the anglers took all the big springs because they are close too shore, and that is why there are no big fish anymore.

Last edited:

Oh Aaron perhaps you should just go to your Watershed Watch board meeting & peddle you nonsense...... As I see it if you and your band of MC clowns had your way you would shut everything down go wild only and then watch everything starve to death .. there is balance to be had perhaps meeting half way would be a great start...

Oh Aaron perhaps you should just go to your Watershed Watch board meeting & peddle you nonsense...... As I see it if you and your band of MC clowns had your way you would shut everything down go wild only and then watch everything starve to death .. there is balance to be had perhaps meeting half way would be a great start...
Aaron? Funny stuff, Derby - but strangely enough this does lead one down the path of understanding the ties between WWS and SkeenaWild, as I posted on another thread.... (and they started w steelheaders...)

well I don't know Aaron. My first name is as is per my username.

So is it all BS then? Does Hooton only know what he is talking about when he agrees with certain people? His blogs been getting quoted and linked an awful lot these days.

Last edited:

With the $ collected from licenses/tags (won't get into the mass gov over spend in every other area) all hatcheries should have more funding and support. Especially where folks are donating their time (time is a persons most precious resource IMO).

There are really only 3 ways anyone can impact salmon stocks the 3 H's...... Habitat, Hatchery & Harvest.

The other 99% of the equation happens in the deep blue sea out of our control!
Exactly....and I would add after listening to Dr. Carl Walters, that the declines in salmon abundance are more largely attributed to increasing abundance of seals and sea lions beyond any historic levels. Unfortunately FN's harvest historically held the level of pinniped populations to about half where they are today. No amount of intervention to improve habitat, hatcheries or harvest appear to be able to arrest the decline. We are now in a death spiral that cannot be stopped using the current conventional wisdom approaches.

Yup, Campbell's Liberals were extremely short-sighted killing the Habitat Restoration Program. Funded by logging stumpage, which helped restore habitat while also addressing US calls for tariffs to stop BC's subsidization of the Forest sector. We were killing (bad choice of words) 2 birds with one stone there.

Back