REPOWER Options

SUZI 140
Have one and its been great.

Well a 18.5 DE can certainly handle a 140. Personally I would pod it and go at least with a 140. You will not regret the extra room in the dance floor area. 115 or a 90 works but u NEVER want to be under powered. Throw a 150 Yamaha on er!

225? That seems way to much on 185 boat and overpowered for boat design.. Even with a pod seem like to much weight on the stern. Maybe it changes with a pod? I rarely see boats with that much power unless in the 21+ foot range I may do a pod next year to my 185 malibu and the weight of that boat hull design is similar.... I will be going with a 150 at the most...

Than again I only go 20-22 knots when cruising... That's just me. Interesting to see how you make out with your choice..

I'm thinking of going towards the 140 suzuki when I do finally bite it and repower. My mariner only has 104 hours on it and the guy who had it before me was meticulous, to the point I have stickers all over the boat labeling them with corresponding wires, and keys LOL. Lake boat most of the time now it's a fish fun thing for me. The reason I wanted to go 4 stroke is the cleaner option, fuel economy these days, power up (possibility), and reliability. I've not had a problem with this motor however I don't want to be with my young family out and have an issue. Plus I don't want to fill oil reservoirs etc.

I was wondering though my motor according to online research is like 315-330lbs and the suzuki 140 and 115 are both 404 lbs it that gonna be a deal breaker? will my back end be taking on water into the well constantly? I'm running a t8 yamaha kicker also attached to the transom.

I have a new Suzuki DF140A on an 18' Whaler and am thrilled with it. Loaded with 4 people, gear and fuel, its still does 30mph on 21L/hr....lighten the load and it does 30 on 18L /hr. Slow troll, 0.9L/hr.
They use their RPM to get the job done, so make sure it's propped for 6200 rpm WOT and you'll love it.

What's the price differents between the 140 and 150hp. The suzuki 150hp is a beast I loved the one I had!!

I had the 17.5 with a 03 100 hp yamaha 4 stroke which is now known as the 90 and it was fine with a 21P prop but could have used a bigger motor. I say no way is a 90 enough motor for a 18.5 especially loaded with gear and 3 guys.

May be late on this reply, its the season. I have an 06 18.6 DE with 140 johnson 4 stroke, I do think its the same engine as the suzuki 140. Works like a charm, started many years ago with, 16 DE, then 17.6 DE. 18.6 fits perfect for current fishing I do. 140is good on gas, long range with big floor tank, comfortable and safe. Go with 140 or 150 4 stroke, you will not be disapointed, anything smaller will bog down when loaded. Price's are never firm, shop, hagle, take your time and a deal will present. good luck, enjoy the DE.

HM

If you are going to buy used DF140 make sure it is newer than a 2008 as the older one have a bad engine holders and will blow through. Only a matter of time This will set back another 2K

I was wondering though my motor according to online research is like 315-330lbs and the suzuki 140 and 115 are both 404 lbs it that gonna be a deal breaker? will my back end be taking on water into the well constantly? I'm running a t8 yamaha kicker also attached to the transom.

I have a 18 hourston with a 140 Suzuki on a pod. Originally the boat had a 150 Johnson Ocean Runner. I didn't notice any difference on the back end of my boat with the added 80 lbs of the 4 stroke. I also have a T8 on the back end. The 140 is a great motor. I looked at a Yamaha 150, but it is a lot heavier than the 140.

If you find the back end is heavy... take off the T8 and troll with the 140... you wont have any issues as the 140 trolls down nice.

If your looking for a good used 140 i know of one for sale.

I have a new Suzuki DF140A on an 18' Whaler and am thrilled with it. Loaded with 4 people, gear and fuel, its still does 30mph on 21L/hr....lighten the load and it does 30 on 18L /hr. Slow troll, 0.9L/hr.
They use their RPM to get the job done, so make sure it's propped for 6200 rpm WOT and you'll love it.

i agree... motors are good on fuel. My 18 Hourston burns 5-6 GPH running at 3900 rpm... doing 30 mph. I run a 24p prop, so it dogs a little getting out of the hole. I wouldn't go with any less power.

Well considering I started at 115 I think the choice on the suzuki 140 was a good one. All installed now and can't wait to get out on the water finish the break in and get her wide open :) really want to see what gains I got from the repower. I know one thing for sure as long as I didn't get a lemon I'll have years of reliability to come woohooo oh and I won't be the smokey bum on the way out and from what I've seen from fourstrokes I'm pretty sure I'll be able to hear myself think again LOL yay less noise, smell and reliability add big power gains and I'm gonna be really smiling lol

Winter Chrome...using that big a pitch on any marine outboard will shorten the life of the engine..specifically the wrist pins in the pistons. You may get slightly better fuel economy and a higher top end but you will shorten the time that you will be into a rebuild. Ask any good outboard mechanic about piston drop and how it occurs.

So report on break in for the new 140: got out Saturday to Sidney, followed the manual religiously, 15 min idle, next 1Hr45Min less than 3000rpm I varied between 2000-3000 every time the song changed on the radio I'd change the rpm, then the next hour at 4000 or less varied again the speed between 2500 and 4000 mostly between 3000 and 3500. Then the 3 hour mark came and did the same as the last hour for another 15 min before I opened her right up to see what she had. Oh boy it's got some get up and go :) only thing is I increased my speed instead of hammering it but at full throttle was only getting 5500 rpm trimmed up a bit just before what I felt would make it porpoise and got to about 5600 rpm sog was 59kph. Still have another 6.8 hours of break in left. Do you guys think maybe it will get to the max range of 6000rpm after the break in? or maybe it's prop pitch? I know the dealer told me if I can't get the 6000 full out they'll change the prop out for me to get me it. Gonna have to do some more testing on another weekend. But conditions no wind that I felt and it was flat as glass. I probably looked like a moron speeding up and slowing down but meh, man was it nice to have on the water and just cruise for a bit.

You wont get another 400 rpm after break in. You should really reprop 2 inches smaller IMHO. Your new engine will thank you. Its definitely better to under prop than to lug the engine. It will last longer even at higher rpms....

Last edited by a moderator:
You wont get another 400 rpm after break in. You should really reprop 2 inches smaller IMHO. Your new engine will thank you. Its definitely better to under prop than to lug the engine. It will last longer even at higher rpms....

I agree but make sure you have what would be an average load (gear, people, fuel, etc.) during these tests.

after some thought about it and the few bursts (30 sec - 1 min) of wot I think it may be a trim thing too I may not have trimmed up enough I think I was too busy looking at speed and rpm to think about the trim angle more. I think next test out I'll have to check to see if I can trim up even more just before porposing and see what it does. I know I said it felt like it was gonna but I can't say for sure gonna have to test before I think about the other stuff ie. prop pitch. I don't want to jump into changing the prop unless I know for certain I have maxed out the rpm range and it's not getting the recommended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Break in done officially havent changed any prop yet running 3x14x19 got the wot to 6000
Rpm and speed over ground 64/65kph opinions? Thats with full
Fuel gear and two people full sized :p what speeds are others getting? In similar setups? Props etc...

Back