Repower before reselling? Grady white 232

jcon12

Hi all,

We own a 2004 Grady White gulfstream and were considering selling this year to move up into a larger cabin cruiser/pocket trawler.

The problem is during its annual winter service this year we decided to do the quickee sleeve (as these motors have a known issue leading to oil loss). The mechanic removed the powerhead and found significant corrosion at the head and mid unit (also a known issue sheesh!).

The boat is in excellent condition. It has 1000 hrs, basic electronics (new chartplotter and sounder, radio, stereo) and an offshore bracket (with the 04 yamaha F250). No trailer or kicker.

It has been extremely well maintained. The isinglass is all brand new this year as well as all bolsters and cushions reupholstered.

I am wondering if we are better off repowering with a new F300.. repowering with a used F250/300 or selling as is. The motor can be put back together and run but will eventually have issues.

Thoughts and approx ideas of value? thanks!

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 200
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
For a brand new motor to pay off you need to have an amazing hookup at the dealership, as you will get the initial depreciation. I say sell as is unless you find a screaming deal on a newer used one

Everything I’ve read about that boat says it needs 300hp minimum. Most buyers are going to read the same thing and may consider the 250 underpowered when you sell and low ball you because of that . I’d say sell the 250 as is and look for a used 300 . You’ll probably make the money back when you sell and it’ll sell faster.

Operated a ton of these 232 boats , there very heavy and perform better with lots of HP SPECIALLY IN LARGE SWELL, currently back down to a 228 Grady with a 250. this is my observations, if your using it off shore, minimum dual 150hp . now if you go the single route THE 300HP works but the 350 is golden , there have been few members on here that have also commented that the single 300 doesn't for some reason perform like the dual 150. I believe derby went from a 300 to 350 and loved it. if the boat is used mainly in the inside waters you can get away with smaller hp. this boat with dual 200hp is unbelievable not so much for over all speed but for control in nasty weather. To make a long story short if your not keeping it , leave that selection to the new owner. Love these wide boats, you will not have a hard time selling her specially they way it sits now

Thanks for tagging me Lee. We were in the same situation with our DE when the 200 blew up. We put a new 250 on it and lost our shirts when we sold the boat 2 years later. Used big hp motors are hard to find in good shape. We are looking for a 232 and we want twin 200hp which is hard to find. I'd be very interested in talking to you about the Gulfstream if you are interested in selling it with no power.

Brian

A single 300 does well on a 232. But, you will need the DSC controls, so will get quite pricey. The 250 Yamaha is likely plug and play with existing binnacle and would be the most cost effective option.

Value with a new engine, no trailer, no kicker is likely 70 to 75k in today's hot market.

PM sent.

Operated a ton of these 232 boats , there very heavy and perform better with lots of HP SPECIALLY IN LARGE SWELL, currently back down to a 228 Grady with a 250. this is my observations, if your using it off shore, minimum dual 150hp . now if you go the single route THE 300HP works but the 350 is golden , there have been few members on here that have also commented that the single 300 doesn't for some reason perform like the dual 150. I believe derby went from a 300 to 350 and loved it. if the boat is used mainly in the inside waters you can get away with smaller hp. this boat with dual 200hp is unbelievable not so much for over all speed but for control in nasty weather. To make a long story short if your not keeping it , leave that selection to the new owner. Love these wide boats, you will not have a hard time selling her specially they way it sits now
Having never ran a 232 with 2 x150 I cannot comment on that but your right about a 300Hp.. It worked great inshore and with just a couple people and 100 gallons of fuel... Off shore it works but running a 150 gallons of fuel 4 people plus me a tad thirsty but im looking forward to a 350 dual prop more power and will save on fuel... My friend runs a 232 with a pair of 200hp suzuki's and really likes what it can do off shore :)

Last edited:
Having never ran a 232 with 2 x150 I cannot comment on that but your right about a 300Hp.. It worked great inshore and with just a couple people and 100 gallons of fuel... Off shore it works but running a 150 gallons of fuel 4 people plus me a tad thirsty but im looking forward to a 350 dual prop more power and will save on fuel... My friend runs a 232 with a pair of 200hp suzuki's and really likes what it can do off shore :)

When do you figure you'll have the 350 DP rigged and running? Asking for a friend haha

Hahahaha .its being done as we speak..dropped it off at Breakermarine. They will most like posting pics on ther instagram account :)

Attachments

• 20210207_162919_resized.jpg
    20210207_162919_resized.jpg
    581.5 KB · Views: 62
I am just in the process repowering right now!! i have 232 gulfstream 2004 , it had twin 200 hpdi's and now i am putting on a pair of 200 hp 4strokes. PUMPED cannot wait to get out there its been a couple months.

I am just in the process repowering right now!! i have 232 gulfstream 2004 , it had twin 200 hpdi's and now i am putting on a pair of 200 hp 4strokes. PUMPED cannot wait to get out there its been a couple months.

My Buddy loves the 200's on the back of his 232 :)

Back