Replacing Hub on boat trailer

I had a bearing failure and spindle damage. I had to replace 1 of the 2 axles on the trailer with the boat on it (8000#). I had never replaced an axle or springs or bearings. I completed the job and it was not as difficult as I thought it would be. Watch some videos.

A little tip if you have a wire feed welder at home, When your taking the races out of the hub to be replaced run a bead around the circumference of the old races. It shrinks the metal and it will save you time beating on the hub. Doesnt apply if you are replacing the hub, Only if you are installing new races and bearings.

Dirty is an understatement, I used the world's supply of shop towels and brake fluid haha. My big dummy moment was wtf my actuator was running in reverse off the safety pin? Crossed connectors duh its 12v...once I figured that out it was east to bleed the brakes.

Get bearing numbers off the other side. Your going to be doing those ones to right ..Races go in the freezer first. Use old races to bang in new races. Use a cheap infrared heat gun to check bearings after travel. Great way to know if there’s a problem developing. If possible Let your bearings cool A bit before dunking. Get the boat off the trailer and trailer out of the water ASAP
Rockauto .com is the place to get stuff. I silicone my caps on and use double lip seals. Carry spares and the tools to do on road side. Or complete spare hub ..check twice a year for water in them. I have learned this the hard way. Not fun coming down the hat with 3 tires and ratchet strap holding up one side of an axle

Attachments

• F9F7AA08-B073-4315-92AA-6E5743EBCEE6.jpeg
    F9F7AA08-B073-4315-92AA-6E5743EBCEE6.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 24
Back