Replacing Hub on boat trailer

Ghostprof

So I blew the bearings right out of one of the hubs on my boat trailer. Luckily, I was able to get the boat in the water and the trailer home with the wheel wobbling around like crazy. I pulled the wheel and the hub off, but now have to replace the hub. I bought a trailer hub kit from Canadian Tire and tried it out, but the 1 1/16 size is too big and the 1" I can't even get on the spindle -- too tight. Someone mentioned that I need a "metal press" to this job. I have No Idea What I'm Doing. Advice?

So I blew the bearings right out of one of the hubs on my boat trailer. Luckily, I was able to get the boat in the water and the trailer home with the wheel wobbling around like crazy. I pulled the wheel and the hub off, but now have to replace the hub. I bought a trailer hub kit from Canadian Tire and tried it out, but the 1 1/16 size is too big and the 1" I can't even get on the spindle -- too tight. Someone mentioned that I need a "metal press" to this job. I have No Idea What I'm Doing. Advice?
You don’t need a metal press for trailer bearings. If the wheel was “wobbling like crazy “ you should closely inspect the spindle for any damage, if you put a new hub and bearing assembly on a messed up spindle you will be re doing this job again in 6 months.Canadian Tire sucks , go to a trailer shop , measure the O.D of the spindle and replace the hub and bearing assembly . Where are you located? Trailer shops such as Tomcat in Victoria will have the proper bearings and hub ( and new axle if your spindle is scored)... U-Tube might be your friend if you have never done the assembly , grease packing of the inner and outer bearings , etc.

No offense but you Probaly should take it to a shop to do it for you if you can't manage to change a bearing mess up the end play and you'll ruin the bearing and possibly have a tire come off on the highway and potentially injured or kill someone.

No offense but you Probaly should take it to a shop to do it for you if you can't manage to change a bearing mess up the end play and you'll ruin the bearing and possibly have a tire come off on the highway and potentially injured or kill someone.
None taken -- this is why I'm asking. Some stuff I know I can do with just a tip or two, but other stuff... Thanks!

None taken -- this is why I'm asking. Some stuff I know I can do with just a tip or two, but other stuff... Thanks!
if you’ve “ovalled “ your spindle it’s done and will need replacing. i had to get a new one welded on my last boat as my bearing buddy flew off on the way home from port mcneill and i lost all my grease. the wheel fell right off as i backed the trailer into my driveway. changing the entire axle would have been cheaper if it was straight, but it’s “bowed” to accept the boats hull shape.

I have done the same thing. I bought a brand new hub with bearing already loaded and ready to install on the trailer cost 90$ bought it from a Rv dealer same hub half the price of the regular trailer shop. My trailer also a road runner. Again if your spindle is in good shape. Easy to change when the hub already has the bearing pressed in

if you’ve “ovalled “ your spindle it’s done and will need replacing
This happened to an older R.R. trailer of mine.
I was changing out the bearings every couple of months
until I noticed the spindle was pitted and grooved.
It chewed up bearings quick.

Go onto etrailer.com there's a ton of good info. As long as you didn't pooch the spindle you're good to go. All the bearings and dust seal will have part numbers that are universal for sizing. No need for a press...the outer washer holds the outer bearing in place and that will just fall out and you can use a piece of wood to tap out the race if it needs to be replaced. The inner has the dust seal so you'll mangle that removing it then the bearing then the race if you're replacing everything. Or just take your old hug assembly to lordco or an rv store and buy a new assy.

Does this trailer have brakes?

Go onto etrailer.com there's a ton of good info. As long as you didn't pooch the spindle you're good to go. All the bearings and dust seal will have part numbers that are universal for sizing. No need for a press...the outer washer holds the outer bearing in place and that will just fall out and you can use a piece of wood to tap out the race if it needs to be replaced. The inner has the dust seal so you'll mangle that removing it then the bearing then the race if you're replacing everything. Or just take your old hug assembly to lordco or an rv store and buy a new assy.

No it doesn't. I went to Lordco and they were no help -- almost sold me something the wrong size and then said they didn't have the right thing in stock. I also tried Napa with no luck. I'll check out etrailer -- thanks for the tip!

This happened to an older R.R. trailer of mine.
I was changing out the bearings every couple of months
until I noticed the spindle was pitted and grooved.
It chewed up bearings quick.

The spindle looks pretty good to me. I only drove a couple of km with the wheel loose, and at maybe 20 kph. I'll go over it carefully again before installing anything though.

I have done the same thing. I bought a brand new hub with bearing already loaded and ready to install on the trailer cost 90$ bought it from a Rv dealer same hub half the price of the regular trailer shop. My trailer also a road runner. Again if your spindle is in good shape. Easy to change when the hub already has the bearing pressed in
Thanks for the tip on the RV dealer. I'll look into that.

Thanks -- I don't even think I can see the part numbers on the equipment that came off. It was so blown out it just came off easily when I took off the axle nut.

If the spindle passes the finger nail test then you're good to go. Take a digital caliper and measure the inner and outer spindle sizes and you're good to go. Etrailer can help, north shore parts for sure has hubs as does any parts shop. I just bought all new brakes and hubs from etrailer.com and it was solid service but took a while to ship from the States. Goes those sizes and they will have a chart to map over to the right races, dust seal and inner / outer bearings. Get some good axel grease and you're good to go.

If the spindle passes the finger nail test then you're good to go. Take a digital caliper and measure the inner and outer spindle sizes and you're good to go. Etrailer can help, north shore parts for sure has hubs as does any parts shop. I just bought all new brakes and hubs from etrailer.com and it was solid service but took a while to ship from the States. Goes those sizes and they will have a chart to map over to the right races, dust seal and inner / outer bearings. Get some good axel grease and you're good to go.
On closer examination I can see the spindle is pitted and scored. The leaf bands are also corroded within an inch of their lives, so it's going to be a full hub/axle/spring replacement for me. It looks pretty simple to put together and I sort of have to do it myself since the trailer only has one wheel right now and I can't take it anywhere. Just have to get ahold of the parts now...

I just redid bearings and brakes on my Roadrunner tri-axle. Call them. They sell all the parts. AB1752 has it right.

Doing the job is not hard, just time-consuming and dirty. Get a driver set or rent one at Napa and you'll also need a drift to take the old races out. They are a tight, tolerance fit. Use the right size driver to install the new parts. Put on nitrile gloves, take a palm full of bearing grease and squish it into the bearings, rotating it as you go. Be careful with the seal, keep it square and don't press it in too far. When you put it together, tighten the castle nut snug, then back off a bit before you put the cotter-pin in. Rotate the wheel-should be easy, smooth and quiet. YouTube is helpful.

I just redid bearings and brakes on my Roadrunner tri-axle. Call them. They sell all the parts. AB1752 has it right.

Doing the job is not hard, just time-consuming and dirty. Get a driver set or rent one at Napa and you'll also need a drift to take the old races out. They are a tight, tolerance fit. Use the right size driver to install the new parts. Put on nitrile gloves, take a palm full of bearing grease and squish it into the bearings, rotating it as you go. Be careful with the seal, keep it square and don't press it in too far. When you put it together, tighten the castle nut snug, then back off a bit before you put the cotter-pin in. Rotate the wheel-should be easy, smooth and quiet. YouTube is helpful.
Thanks for the info -- and love your avatar image! I'm thinking I need to replace the spindle as well, so that's a new axle unless I'm mistaken. I don't mind getting dirty, but don't know how to use a drift so I might defer to someone who knows what they are doing. Anyone know of a good mobile mechanic?

Back