Replacing downrigger line

Fortunately we do charters/tours so I get to expense my toys :)

We mostly fish the "shallow" channels between islands up in Desolation Sound. Given the water there reaches over 2100' the shallow channels are stlll 200ish hence the need for the big weight as if we are not within 10' of bottom we are not catching fish.

I have high hopes for the 130# braided as I've bent gaffs trying to get 50# off bottom snags in the past....

I was just looking for line on ebay and I can get 200# power pro for under $90 bucksand thats for 500yards. thats 750 ft per down rigger. cable is never that cheap.

question what # test is wire???

bump

quote:Originally posted by starcraftttom

I was just looking for line on ebay and I can get 200# power pro for under $90 bucksand thats for 500yards. thats 750 ft per down rigger. cable is never that cheap.

question what # test is wire???
Scotty wire is around 150# test.
I have fished with 300# but didn't like it at all because once snagged she wasn't going to break.

Well, done three outtings on the 130# Tuff Line and am happy with it so far.

I ran over a 90' reef with 150' of line out (on purpose as a test, yeah that's it, I did it on purpose....) and the line/knots/arms took a pretty good beating with no worries. I figure if they lived thru that I'm good to go.

I did have a bit of a problem at first where the line was getting stuck in the more loosely wrapped lower levels on the spool but I just went over deep water, let everything out and wound them up with the wieghts on and have had no problems since. Don't think I used enough tension when I spooled the line on. Crazy glued retrieve stops worked well...better not need to move them :)

Have not been up to the "secret spot" yet to see how much line it takes me to run at 180' yet. Will let all know how much the braided saves vs cable when we get a break in the weather. It's certainly quieter....

Only a summers charters will see how it wears.... but at least I know I'm not going to stick any frayed wire strands into my hand this summer...

sir can you see your ball on your sounder trolling at 180 feet, or do you see it bouncing dragging on the bottom of the secret spot.

How do those twenties treat your rigger motors?? Gotta think the retrieve under higher speed duress would stress them out.. Only a thought.dirty

Beacause we use the boat for multiple activities I can't hardwire in the downriggers. The only time I get used to get the internal fuses on the downriggers tripping is in heavy current when the electrical connectors on the plugs were getting corroded. Now I create a roll of emory paper and clean the connectors every three months and don't have any problems. I need the 20's for where I fish, others are there with 40's and hydraulic pulleys. Teh weight makes a big difference when fishing deep acurrately.

Have my Scotty downrigger in for repair I mentioned that I use there new line. I asked about the problem of the the stoppers slipping, they are going to send me newly designed stoppers that are not available for sale yet but want me to try them out.
Davie

Haven't seen the stuff from PN&T but have fished with 300# cable in the past.

Didn't like it at all-too thick and if it hooks up that much tougher to break.

I saw it at the store and liked the looks of it. Seemed at least the same diameter of the stainless wire, maybe thinner. I was thinking of going with PN&T braided line once my wire gets a little more worn.

At 180' my wieghts are 50-60 feet back of the boat so I can not see them on my sounder. When then boom arms start bouncing I'm fishing deep enough :)

I've heard of guys angling their sounder to see the balls but it never made much sense to me. I need accurate depth and accurate bottom structure/feed reading. My wieght depth I can figure out by hitting bottom and working back. I caught a tire a few weeks ago.... lucky bounce to have the ball come down thru the center :) I did mention this was a mud bottom.... might not be such a good technique over a rocky reef....

With the sounder set on duel frequency I can see the downrigger balls even at 180' on the 50 khz most of the time. If I'm trolling against the tide and they really stretch out then I'll lose them.
The PN&T wire is 1/32nd inch thick which I beleive (but can't confirm) is the same diameter as the scotty.

Scotty as promised (see earlier post) sent me some sample new designed stoppers for there braided line, hooked them up and they look like they will do the job.
When I get the boat in the water will of course be the real test.

Davie

So, done two trips up to my deep water trolling area with the new Tuff Line on the downriggers. And the results are....... Tuff Line makes no difference on the amount of line I have to put out to reach bottom. Another damn fine theory blown to bits by reality :(
Guess the diameter of the Tuff Line and the wire are close enough for the drag difference to be negligeable.

After six trips I've had no problems with the Tuff Line. We'll give it the season before I form a final opinion but I if it lasts a season I'm going to stick with it just to avoid the slices I used to get discovering new frays in the wire down by the canon ball as I was swinging them back on board. Not a huge deal but I probably had to cut off the end five feet a half dozen times during the season due to frays. I like to fish VERY close to bottom. I think I must hack a pound a year off my wieghts :D

If anyone ever sees any pancake weights over 13 lbs please post it!!!

Back