Repairing Rod Eyes

Kisinana

I have a broken eye on an old fibreglass rod I have (about 40 years old). Love the rod and it makes a great hali unit.
I removed the old thread wrapping which held the broken eye in place and there is left over resin from the coating creating ridges. I would like to clean the surface before I start wrapping and replace the eye.
What can I use to clean the surface material off and not damage the fibreglass?
And what is the best resin to recoat the threads with after?

"What can I use to clean the surface material off and not damage the fibreglass?"
Heat gently applied and a mild solvent or a fine sandpaper, I've used both.

"And what is the best resin to recoat the threads with after?"
Flex Coat any fly shop in your area should sell it since so many FF like to build their own rods if not Andy @ http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/ will have some.

F2S.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

where abouts are you? Bucky's in duncan has done great work for me, replaced 2 rod eyes for 6$ total!

Too far to Duncan, but thanks.
I like the idea of redoing it myself. Will check out the local fishing stores and see what they have or I will order it. I may fix the other eyes up at the same time.
I am building a rod turner from a BBQ grill motor with a higher speed for wrapping the threads and a lower speed for redoing the rod surface.
Always something to do in November before winter spring fishing

I would be leary of using sandpaper. A rod builder I talked said he uses a piece of bamboo (dried stuff)to scrape off the left over resin. I have used it and it did not damage or mark the rod.

Back