Renew Boat Registration

sir-vivor

Today from trans Canada I got renewal notice of my boat liscence , 21 ft Striper. It's been 10 years and I guess it's about to expire in Feb.
Only question I was stumped on was , what the "Canadian Compliance Cert # " is , what is that?

Near the helm you should find a Compliance Notice. The number is on that notice.

"A Compliance Notice is a statement from the manufacturer or importer that a vessel is built according to the construction requirements of the Small Vessel Regulations. Am I required to have a Compliance Notice on my vessel? If your vessel can be fitted with a motor, it needs to display a Compliance Notice."

Near the helm you should find a Compliance Notice. The number is on that notice.

"A Compliance Notice is a statement from the manufacturer or importer that a vessel is built according to the construction requirements of the Small Vessel Regulations. Am I required to have a Compliance Notice on my vessel? If your vessel can be fitted with a motor, it needs to display a Compliance Notice."
Mine is USCG (because it was a usa boat and brought into Canada, in fact the Mfg of the boat, Seaswirl , is USA Company , why would Trans Canadas renewal ask for a "Canadian" Compliance Cert #.), is that number what's needed . Thats why I was confused and in fact the renewal registration on line was accepted , even though I did not note a number. Must be ok boat was registered 10 years ago.

Last edited:

"A Pleasure Craft Licence that was issued or updated after 2010 is valid for 10 years. At the end of that period, you must renew your licence."

Note that if you have registered your boat, you don't need a Pleasure Craft License.

Does this mean that if it was issued or updated in 2010 or before, that it does not have to be renewed?

The one thing that makes no sense to me is the requirement that the registration # be located on the bow. On a molded glass boat like mine with a heavily flared bow, (I think to reduce pounding on plane in heavy seas), that is a very poor place to put the numbers if you want them to be readable at any distance and in all sea states. On my boat the previous owner placed the numbers up on the flat side of the superstructure where they are easy to see under all circumstance and at maximum distance and I have left them there. Technically I guess this is a violation and I could move them to the bow which on my boat would put them much closer to the water and make them more difficult to see and read in bumpy sea states, especially off plane, even if the bow was not flared. With a significantly flared bow on the hull, the reg. numbers could also be facing down on an angle making them significantly more difficult to see and read at distance. You can imagine how much more difficult the license plate on a vehicle would be to read at distance, if the license plate faced downward on a significant angle. If I was going to be up to no good and wanted to make it more difficult to identify, monitor or survail my boat, the bow would be the best place to put the reg. numbers.

I would suggest that this regulation should be changed to state that the registration # be placed on both sides of the bow or in a location amidship on the sides of the boat, which optimizes their visibility at distance and in all sea states and boat attitude.

Last edited:
Rockfish I think the definition of "bow" in this case is just the "forward part of a vessel". A marine architect may quibble with that definition, but for pleasure boat purposes that doesn't mean it must be on the hull ( ie below the gunnel). So it can also be on the superstructure as long as that is on the forward part of your vessel.

Last edited:
I have my boat reg. numbers near the top of my cabin on both sides in clear sight - been checked numerous times and never had a problem.

Aren’t registering and licensing two different things?

https://canadianvesselregistry.ca/learning-about-boat-registration-numbers-in-canada/

Once you purchase a boat, whether it is new from the manufacturer or used from a previous owner or broker, you will have to follow some steps to make sure it is appropriately licensed or registered. When you reside in Canada, the government agency that handles this process is Transport Canada. There is a difference between licensing your pleasure craft or registering it with the government, and there are rules and stipulations that you must follow for one version or the other. You also want to be aware that you will have to place the numbers assigned to you by Transport Canada in some way on your vessel. Understanding boat registration numbers in Canada can help ensure proper placement of the numbers so you do not run into any problems.

License Numbers for Your Pleasure Craft​

At a minimum, licensing is required for pleasure craft in Canada if your boat has an engine that over ten horsepower and is not used for commercial purposes. If you fall into this category, you will want to complete the paperwork needed so you can license your vessel. You will be assigned a license number that you must then place on your boat according to the regulations put out by Transport Canada. The numbers must be at least three inches and in block lettering. They also must be placed on the hull of the ship on both sides so that they are as far forward as possible and visible above the waterline.

Registration Numbers for Your Boat
You do have the option of registering your vessel with Transport Canada if you wish. If your boat is for commercial purposes, registration is a must for you. In either situation, you must fill out the registration paperwork, provide supporting documentation, and the appropriate fees. You then receive the boat registration numbers in Canada that are assigned to your vessel. These numbers, just like licensing ones, must be placed on the hull of your boat on both sides. They must be four inches in height and include the vessel name and your hailing port. You must also have the numbers affixed inside the boat.

Dont know how this thread got hijacked to Registration / liscence numbers BUT when I posted it, it was in regards to "Canadian Compliance Cert # ".
To get it back on track ;
Does anyone know what it is ?
and is it like this (I dont think so)

Attachments

• 20201209_143211.jpg
    20201209_143211.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
WOW, Got my new 10 year registration back via email, in 2 days , sure beats the snail mail of 10 years ago !
Oh and you don't have to worry about the "Canadian Compliance Cert # " as I did not include it because I didn't know what the hell it was and it seems it wasn't important because my renewal came back COMPLETE AND RENEWED FOR ANOTHER
10 YEARS with out it . Oh and no cost , unless the bills in the mail lol
DONE ! Is it spring yet !

Dont know how this thread got hijacked to Registration / liscence numbers BUT when I posted it, it was in regards to "Canadian Compliance Cert # ".
To get it back on track ;
Does anyone know what it is ?
and is it like this (I dont think so)
I'd say yes, it's like that but the Canadian version of the US one you have. See Canadian examples here:

I'd say yes, it's like that but the Canadian version of the US one you have. See Canadian examples here:

Thanks Fisherman Rob, But don't need it, was renewed for another 10 years without it so if anyone is filling out the online renewal don't worry if you dont have it , its not a requirement for renewal FYI

Back