Relay replacement - again

Saxe Point

How often do these give out for most motors? My 1996 Johnson 90 seems to require one about every 6 to 9 months. Maybe it's just a bad run of luck, but I am wondering if my experience is typical. Luckily it's an easy and cheap fix (about $20 for one) that I can diagnose and do myself. I paid a mechanic the first time and I'm glad I learned about the problem and how to fix it.

In fact, because of the cost of repairs I am learning to do a lot of basic maintenance and small repairs myself. I got the official Johnson shop manual and a SELOC manual. Along with the internet and YouTube, it's amazing what I am learning to do. I never grew up learning anything mechanical, but I am now and really enjoying it. I'll never be a pro, but I enjoy the challenge and the money I save will be used for those big or complicated repairs that are way beyond me. I imagine most of you guys do other same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your alternator output voltage when running at speed... I have seen some OMC motors that output 16+volts - you run the risk of burning out just about everything else in the boat too

I agree with blue-blowing a relay is a sympton -not a cause-the output voltage is a good place to start looking. Does that have a voltage regulator as well?

Which relay is blowing? 96 model Johnson motors are all fully regulated and should never put out more than 14.4v. My guess with limited information is there is a bad ground somewhere.

Relay is for the starter
regulator/rectifier is the charging system

some older motors only have a rectifier no regulator.

A 20 dollar part would suggest that it's not a
[FONT=Verdana, Arial][FONT=Verdana, Arial]regulator/rectifier.

GLG

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

The starter uses a solenoid switch so maybe he is talking about that? Also there are trim/tilt relays for power trim..there are relays to run the fuel pump to prime efi motors when the key is turned to on...more information needed!;)

It's the relays for the power trim and tilt that are the problem. Is that caused by excess voltage? I just got a new regulator/rectifier recently and the relays died before this repair as well.

If the relay keeps going it would be more to do with the power draw of the trim system. I would look at the wire diameter to and from the relay.

Back