reel re-spooled

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

Something doesn't add up here. If you spent $24 @ 6 cents a yard then you put on 400 yards from the bulk spool. I believe the line comes in 300 yard spools and not 400 yard spools, and that would explain the price diference. To the best of my knowledge, they (Island Outfitters) charge nothing to spool the line as they do it as a service to the customer. Also, I believe the Maxima is 9 cents per yard and not per foot.

Personally, I like the Stren 30 lb in Solar Collector (Flo Yellow) best, followed by the Berkley in FLO Green and then FLO Blue. I always use a 30 lb mainline because of all the flotsam in the water. You don't need line that strong for salmon.

you are correct, the price was per yard and they did put on 400 yards

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

Something doesn't add up here. If you spent $24 @ 6 cents a yard then you put on 400 yards from the bulk spool. I believe the line comes in 300 yard spools and not 400 yard spools, and that would explain the price diference. To the best of my knowledge, they (Island Outfitters) charge nothing to spool the line as they do it as a service to the customer. Also, I believe the Maxima is 9 cents per yard and not per foot.

Personally, I like the Stren 30 lb in Solar Collector (Flo Yellow) best, followed by the Berkley in FLO Green and then FLO Blue. I always use a 30 lb mainline because of all the flotsam in the water. You don't need line that strong for salmon.

you are correct, the price was per yard and they did put on 400 yards

maxima marine green is where the moneys at, my personal favorite saltwater line. Doesnt corrode as fast as the ultragreen and takes a lot more of a beating.

maxima marine green is where the moneys at, my personal favorite saltwater line. Doesnt corrode as fast as the ultragreen and takes a lot more of a beating.

Hmmmm, I use a braided Tuff Line and always wondered why I don't see more people using it???

I like the small diameter of the 50 lb test line as in theory it's creating less drag at the depths I fish. I also like that I don't have any stretch in the line so I can feel exactly what's going on. I had a problem at first with lot's of false releases but I solved that by inserting a 12" piece of 70 lb test monfilament at my downrigger clip point and after that I convert to a 30 lb monfilament for the run out to the flasher and lure as I find the stiffness of the line makes for easier management/storage of my pre-rigged flasher/lure sets.

I also use the same rods when folks want to bottom fish and if you are trying to fish flounder I find it A LOT easier to read the bites with the braided lines as those little guys have very nimble teeth and the lack of stretch means you can feel everything which makes it easier for a lot of the folks I take out who have never fished before.

Any reason you guys aren't using braided lines other than the obvious "price" issue....

Hi out there every one! I'm new at this. I am in search of a 23 ft. hourston any body know of one for sale it would be greatly appreciated thanks.....

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

Anybody try the new Mustad line?

Yes, i have tried it. Its size to strength ratio is better then maxima, but after about 1 month it starts to get crappy and the line starts to break way to easly.

Hmmm, I got a bad bunch of spiderwire once that seemed to snap easy but I've been running the same Tuff Line for two years and haven't had any problems...

Any one else had problems with braided degrading???

One thing I do have problems with is when you get a lure REALLY stuck to bottom when jigging I usually have to wrap the line around a cleat and throw it in gear for a sec and it's usually 50/50 if the line snaps or if the hook straightens...

I also spend my summer with permanently cut finger as that stuff is vicious when you wrap it around your hand when landing fish...

I can't speak to Tuff Line but I've been using PowerPro on all my rods for four years without seeing any degredation other than color fade. The increased cost is more than offset by the longevity. I have found that for bottom fishing it works better to use heavier line than normal but with a swivel of less strength or a "break-away" (a short piece of lesser-strength mono between the main line and the terminal tackle). That way, when irretrievably snagged up I only lose the terminal gear and not a long chunk of expensive Spectra. As mentioned above, the thin diameter is nice when downrigging and the sensitivity is great. I'm also using it on spinning reels for striped bass and the limpness is very impressive for casting. Watch out though in bait casters, your skill level will be tested painfully. The Spectra lines are capable of the most INCREDIBLE backlashes in that application.

I use the tuff line (salmon as well ) . When hooked up on bottom:( I us my gaff handle and wrap around it , to pull it of bottom or (break the line )[xx(].

Straight Maxima ultra for me love it!

Back