Recreational catch and release fish mortality

Nemytalu

I've been in environmental consulting for over 15 years and have the pleasure of working with marine biologists and fisheries scientists (not the DFO type) all the time. I pick their brains regularly about fish habitat preferences, life history, seasonality, food chain etc. As a sport fisherman, I think of it as a perk of the job.

Over the water cooler recently, one of my scientist colleagues said that recent research indicated mortality for sport-caught salmon was about 70% (30% survival). Didn't get a reference (sorry) but I found that shocking and I've met it with skepticism. A quick glance through some papers suggests there's plenty of debate about any mortality rate from recreational fishing and a wide range of statistics, but it seems to hinge on the species fished and the angler's methods.

I wouldn't hazard a guess regarding actual mortality rates, but I did find this paper particularly informative in how to give the catch a better chance:

There has been a lot of recent work going on to address this subject for Salmon in BC after a long period with very little. Results will be coming out officially (as peer reviewed papers) in the next couple of years I imagine. I definitely do not think it is as dire as 70% mortality... although I think for juvenile fish caught on adult gear it could be that high at times.

Personally (and in the context of what I have heard about recent work, and in earlier literature) I get the impression that hook injuries are more important than air exposure, slime loss, etc. The best way to protect fish is to use gear that either does not catch smaller fish that need released (for example avoid coho killers and small anchovies when there are a bunch of shakers around) or to use hook sizes that will not reach the eye or brain of small fish (small point shank gap). Bottom line.. if you are fishing and catching multiple undersize or unkeepable (e.g. wild Coho) fish that are hooked through the eye or in other critical areas either move or change your gear (bigger lure or smaller hooks).

Some of the recent work:

It is completely stunning to me to see people who on the surface appear to be concerned about C&R mortalities, people who obviously catch a lot of fish and know their way around the salt water salmon environment, consider using a net to release a spring. I felt like I was in an alternate universe watching this. The term “catch and release” shouldn’t even be in the same sentence with the word “net”, yet here we see fish thrashing on a deck in a freaking net.

What are these guys thinking? Like somehow a softer mesh helps a spring breathe easier while pounding on a deck?

If you want to maximize the chances of a spring surviving for an optimal catch and release:

1)) use heavy leader
2)) get the fight over with as quick as possible
3)) wear a glove and when the fish tires, hand line the fish to the gunnel
4)) while holding the leader in the gloved hand, slip the bend of a gaff hook into the bend of the BARBLESS hook and shake the fish off

A net.....are you kidding me? What are these guys smoking? Oh, right, 70% mortality...no wonder

Someone could correct me on this, but I think in Washington State any fish you can't keep, is not allowed over the gunwhale. I saw quite a few videos back when I was gearing up to go fish the Resurrection Derby...(which never happened for me)...that showed the unmarked release technique they used. Either popped it off the hook or out of the net without being hoisted up.

And no disrespect what about By -catch ............being crushed by countless other fish in a net and then shovelled back into the chuck ??????
or long lined ???????

I’d be very interested in any studies asserting C&R mortality rates. I’ve seen plenty of peer reviewed publications that are 1) absolute garbage or 2) the actual methods don’t appropriately address the questions and conclusions. Sp there are tons of factors that are at play and should be accounted for to reliably address that question.

I hear lots of people call stuff the best research available. But, that does not mean it’s good research.

It is completely stunning to me to see people who on the surface appear to be concerned about C&R mortalities, people who obviously catch a lot of fish and know their way around the salt water salmon environment, consider using a net to release a spring. I felt like I was in an alternate universe watching this. The term “catch and release” shouldn’t even be in the same sentence with the word “net”, yet here we see fish thrashing on a deck in a freaking net.

What are these guys thinking? Like somehow a softer mesh helps a spring breathe easier while pounding on a deck?

If you want to maximize the chances of a spring surviving for an optimal catch and release:

1)) use heavy leader
2)) get the fight over with as quick as possible
3)) wear a glove and when the fish tires, hand line the fish to the gunnel
4)) while holding the leader in the gloved hand, slip the bend of a gaff hook into the bend of the BARBLESS hook and shake the fish off

A net.....are you kidding me? What are these guys smoking? Oh, right, 70% mortality...no wonder
Not all fish were put into a net or onto the deck of the boat. I think that's what they were testing. I know I've seen a lot of anglers net fish and bring them onboard before release. It doesn't make sense to test the proper, limited handling scenarios, without also testing the harsher scenarios, which are more common in the fishery than we'd all like to admit. I know this group is working closely with the SFI and have had many guides involved in the development of handling treatments.

Someone could correct me on this, but I think in Washington State any fish you can't keep, is not allowed over the gunwhale. I saw quite a few videos back when I was gearing up to go fish the Resurrection Derby...(which never happened for me)...that showed the unmarked release technique they used. Either popped it off the hook or out of the net without being hoisted up.

Same rule in Newfoundland, if its brought on board it must be kept. different fisheries but still relevant
if dfo/gov wanted to up the rate of returns on this coast, change the rules of retention to any size 1 or 2 and done,

UBC has an in depth study underway that will answers all these questions. Catch and release is practiced world wide, and will be the future for marked selective fisheries.

June 7, 2022FISHING RELATED INCIDENTAL MORTALITY (FRIM) STUDY LAUNCHES IN BAMFIELD
The SFI, partnered with UBC and funded by the Provincial and Federal govenrments through the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, launched a project in Bamfield last week intended to improve understanding of Fishing Related Incidental Mortality or FRIM in Chinook salmon in the public fishery. FRIM is the name attributed to the percentage of Chinook salmon that die as a result of an encounter and release by a recreational angler. Studies conducted many years ago showed that survival rates of recreationally caught and released Chinook salmon were high. But, techniques and practices of anglers have evolved over time, there are now better assessment tools and techniques available, and this study plans to hold fish for a longer period to better understand the extent and physical reasons behind FRIM. This is important information to add to the existing knowledge about release impacts as hatchery retention and mark selective fisheries are considered. The findings of this study will assist fishery managers to implement and adapt management measures to account for, and potentially mitigate, impacts of selective fishing activity

Maintaining salmon fishing activity for the public fishery is highly important to the coastal economy and social fabric of BC. It is apparent that selective fishing methods including mark selective fisheries will play an increasingly important role in fishery management and fishery opportunities in the future. The premise behind selective fishing is to ensure that any non-target stocks or species can be successfully released back into the water in a condition that will allow for future spawning success.

Here is the SFI link to the FRIM study. I can tell you as one of the particapting capture boats in the study of which we have 1 more season to to do with the study, pretty interesting results on the mort. rates .I can not get into my personal opinion as its a on going study of UBC however I can say I have a new respect on how hardy chinooks really are... :)

https://sportfishing.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/SFI-Projects-and-Updates.pdf

my understanding is the survival rate of captured and released chinooks that are adults and returning to spawn is very high.

Nope. Maybe if your Watershed watch it is. We really need to stop assuming things, and just the studies happen. The one Derby is participating above is being conducted by UBC.

I am sure we will see soon enough.

Just an FYI these studies were already done in Nanaimo area in 90's. Mortality a lot lower than what is being thrown on here.

my understanding is the survival rate of captured and released chinooks that are adults and returning to spawn is very high.
That is what I have heard also. Much higher than the 15 % that is used for Chinook now. The older coho studies done on the North Coast showed mortalities of 5 % to 80 % . They varied by day and of course by gear. Those fish were held for 24 hours or 12 hours I forget exactly.

Survival rate high as in Low mortality perhaps this was unclear. returning adults

That's my understanding for what i've heard about the recent studies, some of them were captured multiple times too

i believe they also said there was no statistical difference for fish held out of the water under a certain amount of time too from fish released while being kept in the water.

Last edited:
Back