Re&Re Cockpit Foor's Self Bailing Drains

Peahead

Going to attempt to replace my deck/floor self bailing drains myself. They are described as 1.5" diameter beveled flanged. Its going to be a tough job as they attach to scupper hoses under the floor.
The OEM part I was provided by Grady White is GW part #11-369 .
Thats great as I can order them from any GW dealer but knowing Grady's OEM accessories and many parts are not made by GW and supplied by common well known suppliers and manufacturers such as TH-Marine and Perko, I wondering if anyone knows who makes or supplies this part?
I suspect several manufactures make similar drains in various sizes and styles etc but if I don't get the exact part will any generic 1.5" drain with a appropriately angled elbow/hose barb likely fit well?

Otherwise I will order the OEM part from here as they have been great and shipped to me in BC before
( shipping is rather expensive to BC though)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grady-White-Cabina-Dren-de-piso-libre-de-impuestos-/301651886253?_ul=AR

HPIM4508.jpg

I will avoid the local GW dealer unless I want to hear constant complaining, wait 4 months and then pay double.
Thanks,
PH

Thank bd,

I am not against SS floor drains so would certainly consider it. The synthetic I have lasted 16 years so not bad plus I know OEM will be a perfect fit. The only other thing is that I do prefer beveled flanged and a clamp seal rather than using screws ( drilling 8 more holes in the floor)

I have been very interested in this Perko chrome plated bronze drain that has a check ball .
http://www.perko.com/catalog/underwater_hardware/447/cockpit_scupper/

May also be a good alternative way to keep water coming back up through scuppers onto cockpit floor when heavy guys stand at stern and to side of the cockpit. Alternative to having to change to the scupper thru hulls to add ping pong ball style scuppers on water side of transom ( considered doing this for a while but have to change thru-hulls or find a ping pong style scupper big enough to install over top of my present scupper thru-hull which is chrome over bronze ) The Perko check ball bronze floor drains are expensive at about $150 USD.

http://thmarine.com/inline-scupper.html

greg, look at installing these inline. I am thinking about it for my boat as well

Thx Gord, Not a bad idea. I think if I didn't need to take out one of the floor drains and replace it anyway ( both are 16 years old and one looks to have a hairline fracture) I'd probably just look at putting those inline to stop the flowback issue. Funny how even with new scupper flappers and seemingly sealing well, water still flows up onto deck. If I don't spend the $300-400 on the pair of bronze Perko's with the check ball I will probably just replace with OEM drains (Grady #11-369) install new, more flexable re-enforced drain hose. Then as a last step, cut the drain hose midway to the transom thru hull/scupper and install those TH inline in the hose .
The only concern I have with the inline method is once installed that flapper inside the part and inline (inside) hose would be a hassle to access quickly if it jammed up. If you couldn't
blow out debris or a flapper got jammed in the inline part then theres going to be an issue with self bailing. The fix would be tougher than just reaching down to the present accessible transom flapper and yanking out the debris or making an adjustment to the present exposed rubber flapper. With the Perko deck ball drain you could unscew the strainer on the floor drain ( with supplied tool) to access the check ball and inards of the drain.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Sr SQ. You helped set things into motion. I took a look at Gemlux online and so far I like what I see. They make a very similar cockpit floor check ball drain in Stainless Steel and Western Marine on Powell wholesales the Gem product. Found the floor drain I was looking for in their online catalog, called my local retailer in North Van, Martin Marine, who brought 2 of the them in from Western overnight.
http://www.gemlux.com/catalog/Deck-Drains/89501

Haven't picked them up yet but will be interesting to see as they are 1/3 the cost of the Perko bronze check ball drains. If these Gem drains work well, I won't install any inline scupper check valve in my new drain hose ( and shouldn't need to) however I will continue to maintain my transom scupper flappers on outside of transom ( essentially having 2 points where scupper back flow gets averted)

Happy to help...
I have used many of their products and found them all to be 1st rate.

Back