Rate these Boat Manufacturers?

Franko Manini

Folks,

new to the forum, and I am looking for a new (or lightly used) welded aluminum boat 18' to 20' in length. I've had a look at a number of manufaturers, and I know there are a lot of choices out there. On top of that, there are even MORE opinionsaround! I was wondering if I listed a few of the manufacturers and models I was interested in and people put the list in order of their preference, would a concesus show up? The criteria I am concerned with are build quality / durability, and value.

Anyway, here goes... in alphabetical order:

Alumaweld (Blackhawk)
Hewescraft (Sea Runner ET)
North River (Seahawk)
Northwest (Freedom OB)
River Hawk (GBX)
Thunderjet (Luxor OB)
Weldcraft (Maverick DV)

So... to respond with your order of preference... 1 would be your most preferred boat, and 8 your least preferred. Right now, my feelings are as follows, based on nothing but having been in and looked at a few of these boats, and lots of reading and research. First hand knowledge trumps all of course.

8 - Alumaweld (Blackhawk)
6 - Hewescraft (Sea Runner ET)
2 - North River (Seahawk)
3 - Northwest (Freedom OB)
7 - River Hawk (GBX)
1 - Thunderjet (Luxor OB)
4 - Weldcraft (Maverick DV)

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions and it will be interesting to see if there is a natural concensus borne from this. Thanks to everyone who chimes in!

F

This would be my order of preference. I own a North River OS and have owned an Alumaweld LS in the past.

1 - North River
2 - Thunderjet
3 - Weldcraft
4 - Hewescraft
5- Alumaweld
6 - Northwest
7 - River Hawk

Let's add Kingfisher, and then that makes up for my boo boo on missing number 5!

8 - Alumaweld (Blackhawk)
6 - Hewescraft (Sea Runner ET)
5 - Kingfisher (Discovery 2025)
2 - North River (Seahawk)
3 - Northwest (Freedom OB)
7 - River Hawk (GBX)
1 - Thunderjet (Luxor OB)
4 - Weldcraft (Maverick DV)

I hadn't looked to hard at the Seahawks until recently, and I must say I am impressed. I'd loke to have a close look at one but there are no dealers in my area (Victoria, BC)

I would go:
North River
Weldcraft
Hewescraft
Thunderjet
Kingfisher
River Hawk
Alumaweld
North West
Don't forget about Raider boats either, right on par with Hewescraft quality. Also, you can take a look at the Oregon custom builders i.e. Koffler, Boulton, RB, Willie, Rogue Jet makes a really nice ocean boat. And also Edge marine makes a beauty.

Now that aside, I would definitely go have a look at Silver Streak, Lifetimer North West, Ironwood, Armstrong, Sea Wolf etc. etc. I would much rather pay a bit more up front and have a hull custom built to my needs rather than a cookie cutter boat fabbed up on an assembly line. This is my plan eventually.

North river
Thunder jet
Northwest
Weldcraft
Hewescraft

And I would say Armstrong would be my real number 1

For Hewescraft, your choice should be the Ocean Pro 220. It's much more capable than the Sea Runner.

Just depends on what your doing with it for a trailer boat ocean lakes and rivers the searunner is a nice easy to handle boat and you don't need a big truck to tow around a Tacoma can handle it well. For straight salt the ocean pro is hard to beat.

I would love to have a Lifetimer, Armstrong, or Silver Streak, but so far I haven't seen anything in the used market that fits my needs and wants. Unfortunately, my budget won't support a true custom build. I agree they make sweet boats, all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just depends on what your doing with it for a trailer boat ocean lakes and rivers the searunner is a nice easy to handle boat and you don't need a big truck to tow around a Tacoma can handle it well. For straight salt the ocean pro is hard to beat.

I can't fit anything more than a 20 footer with extended transom in my driveway! And yes, I have a small truck.

Don't forget about Woolridge Boats also. There are a lot of options for quality boats in the alumaworld. Pretty hard to name one as the leader - Stand alone - best one on the market.

As mentioned above, it would be well worth it to deal with one of the custom builders and get the features/options that you want, where you want them, how you want them in the boat as it is being built. Costs a bit more up front, but cheaper than trying to add to the boat or modify it later, and also a lot less frustrations using a boat that has everything you need/want, right where you want it.

I have a 20ft Alumaweld Intruder-- it is rougher riding than some other alloy boats but as a fishing machine , that doesnt go offshore, I dont think it can be beat for the price. LOTS of fishing room and I can run all day with my 115 4stroke for $50 . Lets see some of the others do that!!!

Keep it rolling guys. I really appreciate all the additions to the list. Add whatever manufacturers you want and keep ranking them.

I researched for a year... For me north river was tops but for the buck my duckworth was the best fit. 20 ft et. Cheap to run fishes great. Off wcvi does great. Really, end of the day, manufacturer is one thing but you gotta add the other factors. Dollars, size and whether trailering matters.

Back