Rat/rodent repellent ???

Time

Anybody have any good ideas on keeping rats/rodents away from a vehicle parked outdoors?

Started my truck the other day and a bunch of dash lights came on.

Had it at the dealer today for a diagnostic test, and it is a wiring problem.
Some rodents had done a b and b in the engine compartment.
Nice warm spot and lots of wiring to chew on.

Probably 4-500.00 (+) for repairs.
(and yes, I'll be doing an insurance claim).

Seems to be a relatively common problem, dealers says 4-5 a month.
Supposedly Honda is even mixing warfarin (rat poison) into plastic that encloses wiring.
Has been a bad year for rats too. Started seeing them over summer and killed off 5 with traps.

Anyhow, short of moving, or building a garage, neither of which is going to happen, wondering if anybody had any experience in deterrence.
(traps are back out now, maybe that will solve problem.)

i trap constantly, if you live near a water source , it is for sure worse.

i leave the traps not rigged during the week, but baited.
then on the weekend its snap time.

Ya, I love trapping/killing rats. Baiting traps and waiting for the snap... It's kinda like fishing.
Good times!!

Like above, traps set at all times, check frequently, this time of year rats are moving looking for safe, warm winter houses. Keeps a season going? Farms and animals next door do not help. Keep the trap line working.

HM

Had the same thing happen to my truck about 6 years ago... I have 2 traps always working around my place and a really mean orange cat....:)

I keep 2 bags of Wilsarin rat poison in the motor area, wven one on the intake manifild where they seemed to prefer. They go to it before the wires, mind you had a dead one fall and wedge itself between front rotor and rim, it was real messy to clean. But it never came back

Kildonan seems to have the right approach - make it a sporting event.

Salmonlander , are you putting the poison under the hood whenever you park and removing it before driving away, or have you fifa red out a way to just leave it in place?

I leave it there year round. Wilsarin comes in cello packets, no mess, if they are open, your buddy has been in there. It is tidy and works well.

I don't like the poison, they eat it and sometimes die somewhere where you can't find them and they stink when they rot.

Traps and peanut butter is the ticket.

Try Clothes Dryer sheets. Bounce I think there called. Ask a women. My wife puts them in the travel trailer cupboards. Keeps the rodents away from the trailer.

Best thing i have found is a cat. They do not put up with rats, put off a good scent, are quite territorial and wont wander if fed properly....

Back