Ramp Etiquette - what would you do?

While on my rant.... If one more guy parks his recently pulled boat behind my trailer in the parking lot, then tells me he'll just be a minute, I will lose it. These are the same goofs that at have a three boat lineup behind them. Stay the hell out of the way. Get off the ramp quickly. 3 minutes tops from the time you arrive. No blocking trailers. If you think of blocking the ramp to clean your fish while others wait, then you deserve retribution of some sort.

Mandatory piece of equipment at the ramp is a popcorn maker. Leave your boat at home, you will be laughing too much to be able to launch safely.

Some good feedback overall - i didnt happen to say anything, and didnt much care as to what happened as it was a beautiful morning and we had nowhere to be...

ironic part of it all was that the three boats waiting patiently to get out never said a word to the guy - but two bystanders who watched the jerk gave him a mouthful, haha.

one in and one out seems to work, but i agree with the be patient and relax part of things - there is always someone who will put on a show for ya while you sit back with that bag of popcorn.

I could give two ***** about people and what they do at ramp anymore...The first few years when I got my boat I cared a lot...I realized I was getting mad and frustrated and a lot of time there were good reasons why people did what they did. Just a lack of experience. I often forgot I was there once too.

If your rude I am rude back. But most of time I am willing to help people and that goes a long way.

I am in/out nowadays with little problem. I avoid it anyway in early /out early. Once in a while a get and idiot but that's the small 5%... The common one I see is people completely backing down when boats are already in. Like its a derby day and they just can't wait. I usually ask the person to pull up and offer an alternative to keep it going for everyone....

Same thing on cleaning tables don't be a jerk. I have had many sit there and clean fish and act childest just because they got something and no one else did. Why would you make others feel bad? Many times when I started and it still happens you get guys who just think there god when they sit there bragging about how good they are. Nowadays I really care as I have those so called gods asking where I was because most days I come in with fish etc its like I am now accepted....

I am not saying you have to be happy about idiots I am just saying sometimes you just have to be a little patent and understand some of the guys are just learning and may be clueless. That's all. Some of you guys were like that once... I know I was a little when I started out.
I totally agree with this.A little patience goes a long way.Instead of getting all fired up about the situation,just take a
deep breath and maybe offer your assistance if aproppriate.

I totally agree with this.A little patience goes a long way.Instead of getting all fired up about the situation,just take a
deep breath and maybe offer your assistance if aproppriate.

sounds like the Canadian way :)

There's a guy in Campbell River at the Big Rock ramp who parks his truck and trailer right on the boat ramp, if the parking lot is full. Not kidding. I've seen him do it several times now. I can't believe he got away with it once, let alone several times.

Campbell river launches have me looking at mooring my boat! However I do enjoy getting a coffee and watching the show periodically. Reality T.V at its best.

I sat in my boat deep bay for about an hour waiting for some idiot to launch his boat. The entire time he was trying to back it up he was yelling at his poor wife calling her stupid while she tried to give him directions. It was so bad that I parked my boat at the small dock they have and I drove his truck for him and had to listen to this moron call down his wife even more. If I wasn't so hung over I would have gotten into with him. The guy that runs the store was so pissed at how this guy was acting that he was going to refund him his launch fee and send him away.

The best reply yet! ......BB
I get it,I really do,it's just that we all are anxious to get out there and that makes people very short fused.I have a
friend who has really bad arthritis in his wrists and shoulders and it's a real chore for him to launch and take out by
himself.He tells me stories all the time about impatient basturds giving him a hard time at the ramp and it just pisses
me right off.We all have our own burdens and battles going on,so lighten up a little!

gotta agree, 15 minutes isn't going to make or break anything, lighten up.

But I will say, if there's a bunch of yahoos clogging up the ramp, I have no problem if a guy wants to come down the middle and throw his rig in and get the F out of there, I say that's fair game as long as it doesn't interfere with anybody else.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->Here's a notice we've been placing on tow rigs in the Esquimalt Anglers' lot:

GENERAL NOTICE TO ALL OPERATORS

It’s the busy boating season again, and we’d like to see that all launching and retrieving is carried out quickly and safely. Here are some guidelines for the use of our ramp:​
· Ensure your vessel is ready to launch before you enter the “Hot Ramp” Area (South of the painted buoy) e.g. removal of tie-downs, drain-plug in, motors up, fenders deployed, bow/stern lines attached, etc.​
· Check to make sure that the side you want to use is open—that no-one is in line to retrieve their vessel ahead of your launch.​
· Immediately after launching your vessel, move it down the wharf as far as you can so the next boater has room to launch—make sure it’s well secured if you are on your own.​
· When approaching the wharves after your boating trip, ensure you take your place in line when it’s busy, and do your initial recovery tasks quickly—fenders deployed, motors up, lines ready, etc.​
· Recover your vessel quickly, and move your rig immediately out of the “Hot Ramp” area (North of the painted buoy, into the parking area) to do your final tie-downs etc.​
· Remember the “Hot Ramp” area is to be only used for rig transit/launch/recovery!​
Many Thanks—Esquimalt Anglers Executive.​

Thanks west so. Good idea. I should put some like that out at cattle point too. Patience is mandatory at the ramp but it wears thin if you have to wait 30 to 45 minutes to get back on the ramp after fishing.

You think fisherman are bad go to sicamous and watch the wakeboard boats. Wait all year to find out your battery is dead and block the line up. If you spend 80k on your boat maybe take care of the freaking thing. I think 1 boat in one boat out. Also help people out I have backed many trailers in and put if people are having trouble also helped grab and tie off boats. I get stressed to when your heading to a really busy launch. I have launched in brewster Washington at the time is was a single wide ramp and 140 boats launched each morning when the salmon fishing was real good.. It was rush hour at 300am 20+ boat line up crazy early

There's a guy in Campbell River at the Big Rock ramp who parks his truck and trailer right on the boat ramp, if the parking lot is full. Not kidding. I've seen him do it several times now. I can't believe he got away with it once, let alone several times.

if he had his truck and trailer towed away i bet he wouldn't continue doing that. doesn't seem very considerate of others... maybe a call to a towing co. is in order next time you notice.

Back