Raking Bait

Awesome thanks for that Gary

Those were the days. Remember being launched down the tracks at Bowser Bills. Norris Rock and Tribune Bay was full of life

great one, i grew up fishing this way also. Gary kept his boat a couple slips down from ours, we never rake tho.... to lazy bought them at secret cove and if they where out we'd jump up to pender harbour.
i'd have agree early to mid 80's the straight was full of fish. my dad sold the boat in 1989..... no fish. anyone seen a campion toba "tyee 1", ah the memories.

Thanks for posting! I always wondered how you rake for bait.

I've done very well off Victoria with a small net on the end of an 8' pole. It's not too often, but always having the net stashed on the boat has paid off many times. Dave S and I got into some great fun with both herring and the Coho that were chasing the bait balls out on the tide lines off Victoria. It was pretty cool to see them darting at the tight ball.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379388565.402538.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379388492.273949.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1379388610.508859.jpg

Yep. Still have my Dad's rake as well, in the hopes of ever using it again i just can't part with it. Mooching off Powell River was how we spent our time with great success for cohos. Having seen more coho in our waters this past year than any other of the past 20 or so gives me hope.

My alumn rake (kindly supplied to me by a Nanaimo member) will be mounted with pride on my alumn boat..might be put to use someday. Used to use a wood one in the 60's in the chanel by Bowser Bay.

bowser bills launch was always my favorite .It was like a kiddy ride at the PNE

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing beat raking herring...lil firecrackers we called em....15 pulls with a 1/0 through the nose and giddyup!

bowser bills launch was always my favorite .It was like a kiddy ride at the PNE

the good all days , remember it well , still have my custom rake ,
John was a great guy , miss that place ,
surprised when Gary was rakin , he didnt have a tub set up on the floor with water in it , the live ones were the bomb ,
in and outta gear , slight power mooch , was absolute NON STOP action ,
put a smile on my face just readin this all

cheerz

fd

When I moved to CR in the 60's I bought a cedar herring rake from Whitey McCabe ( since passed away), it worked great. Used to rake them in Quathiaski cove, right by the ferry terminal. Two or three swipes through the water and I would have enough for the day. The only thing was-- if you hit a bunch of hog herring, you would bend a bunch of the needles. Darn thing was longer then my boat, and was a pain to store, so reverted to jigging. That was fun too, and every once and a while a nice coho would get snagged when they came after the hooked herring. That was bonus.

I have a couple of rakes from my grandpa and dad. I still have found memories of my gramps raking and it was my job as a little kid to pick up all the herring and put them into the well.

Thanks for posting! I always wondered how you rake for bait.

I've done very well off Victoria with a small net on the end of an 8' pole. It's not too often, but always having the net stashed on the boat has paid off many times. Dave S and I got into some great fun with both herring and the Coho that were chasing the bait balls out on the tide lines off Victoria. It was pretty cool to see them darting at the tight ball.

View attachment 10631View attachment 10632View attachment 10633

My first post; hope I am doing this correctly.

We were out off Oak Bay crabbing in Jan. Brought out salmon gear to pass the time and allow traps to soak.
Notice a lot seagulls working in tide line. We scooped up 8"-10" herring withn salmon net.
Check out the pics. Wow! It was nuts.

Attachments

• 2014b herring.jpg
    2014b herring.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 2014a herring.jpg
    2014a herring.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 200
Back