Raincoast wants total closure of ALL fisheries.

The fisherman I talk to see Sea Lice Infested, Disease spewing Fish Farms, harvesting depleated Herring stocks for Fish Farm meal and dog food, and the uncontrolled gill netting of the returning spawners as a big part of the problem. Here is a copy of my letter for what its worth. Mr. Wilkinson,

I am writing to express my concern about my families ongoing ability to harvest out public resource of chinook salmon on the B.C. coast to put healthy food on our table.

Restrictions if warranted must apply to all user groups in order to gain support and ultimately ensure survival of our treasured resource of wild Salmon.

Fish farms need to be moved off migration routes and onto land in closed loop systems immediately in order to stop infesting our wild salmon with sea lice and infecting them with deadly viruses like PRV.

Seals and Sea Lions that have found a deadly honey holes to gorge on either young smolts or returning spawners must be dealt with.

Commercial Herring fisheries of the last remaining healthy stock in the Georgia Strait should be suspended allowing both the Herring and species that feed on those herring to fully recover.

Netting in the rivers should be disallowed and replaced with modern fish wheels to selectively harvest for First Nations Food and Ceremonial harvest followed by commercial opportunity if abundance warrants. During this transition dip nets only until fish wheels are fully operational. This needs to be followed up with proper rigorous enforcement to ensure integrity of the efforts to everyone.

Public initiatives with long term funding commitments to restore habitat particularly to safeguarding spawning grounds.

If leadership is shown we can keep this awesome public resource for our current and future generations supporting all the jobs along the coast that go along with it.

Yours truly,
Concerned Voter

Kinda annoying to listen to all the sport fishermen at last nights SFAC meeting spend time to ***** about the Herring fishery, Fish Farms and gill nets. Honestly seemed more worry about all that then our own closures. Guess the ENGO media is really powerful.

well hope your happy with a catch and release fishery because that all Vancouver going to get this year.
Yes, we are a pathetic lot at times....people need to wake up and realize their public fishery is under attack. Get on the ENGO social media and let them know the facts, challenge the BS. Also, everyone should be attending their forums and speaking up to challenge things that are clearly mis-information. When the ENGO's are blatantly attacking your public fishery...is it really OK to just sit back and hope someone else will do something...or is it in your power to take positive action?

Back