Racor filters--- problem removing plastic bolw from racor filter: Fyi

Sharphooks

I wrote a note to a Racor Tech guy on another site. Thought I'd post his response here as I recall reading that an SFBC guy had the same problem I did maybe last year some time:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketic View Post

hey racortechguy, lots of questions above for you to answer. Here's another when you get around to it:

I recently did a change-out of a Racor filter--- I removed the filter with the plastic bowl attached because it's mounted in a very tight spot. When I tried to remove the plastic bowl, it just spun on the filter but the threads would not dis-engage. Basically, the threads INSIDE the filter broke loose from the canister walls and I was left...spinning my threads. I finally resorted to jamming a screwdriver up inside the filter to stabilize the internal threads and with alot of exertion, finally got them apart.

If that had happened out on the water, it could have had serious consequences. On another website, I saw a similar "thread" about this issue------exact same thing happened to a guy who WAS out on the water when he had to change-out his Racor (motor conked out). Tense moments as the motor of course was inoperable while the guy was trying to figure out how to solve the thread problem.

I never had that happen before with Yamaha filters, never had that happen with ANY filter so this was a new one for me.

Is this shoddy workmanship or is ethanol eating out the components?

Easy to blame ethanol for everything that's ill with this world but joking aside, I truly would like to hear your comments---I do a lot of very remote boating. Like in places where an issue like this could have dire consequences. When this happened a few months ago (in the safety of my driveway) , it was like ice water down my back thinking how sporty it would have been if my engine conked out and I was in a narrow pass up against rocks during a tide change (I boat up in British Columbia where that's a normal part of the day's boating).

That dose of ice water compelled me to go out and purchase an entire new unit so if I ever have that canister problem again.
I'll just swap hook line and sinker back into my gas line

I'd be VERY INTERESTED to hear your comments on this --- not a small matter

thanks

UNQUOTE

RESPONSE FROM RACOR TECH GUY:

We have heard of this issue before, it has nothing to do with the ethanol, we think its caused by the glue we used to hold the thread ring, since we burst test our filters to 100psi over time the bowls just get stuck on the filter and the glue breaks off when you attempt to remove it, the bowls are on pretty tight, if this happens to you contact us we normally will send you a filter and bowl free of charge. Unfortunately we are required, to test our filters to 100psi, in order to meet standards, we are working on a redesign to help solve this issue.
racortechguy is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

I've never had this happen, nor even heard of it before.
Glad it happened in your driveway, not offshore.
Makes me glad that I carry two filter types;

1. A regular canister that the clear bowl screws onto.
2. The one-piece type, that looks similar to a regular automotive oil filter.

F D

I had bowl that I was unable to remove from the filter. The filter and bowl were purchased as all in one unit replacement. I called them and they ecknowledged the problem and replaced the unit for me for free. They said in the future to buy the bowl and filter separately and only hand tighten. In the factory they are put together to withstand the testing they have to legally do.

Great customer service....

I use marine grease TC-3 with teflon on the threads they come off easy I put a thin film on anything I want to take of and retighten especially on a boat.

Good luck Wolf

OK good advice---it could be that the Racor unit I inherited when I purchased my boat was originally installed as a new filter and bowl unit---now I understand why I had that problem.

I had this problem only once, it was the first time I swapped out the Racor fuel filter when the boat was new to me. To get it apart I had to pierce the filter with a long screw driver and use a filter wrench on the bowl. I had assumed this was beacause the previous owner had not replaced it for a few years, but maybe not.

If one is concerned about this happening out on the water they could get a second bowl and keep it on the spare filter.

I have never considered carrying a spare with me, perhaps I should.

Mike

Remember this is the factory bowl installed units that are the problem. They are put on by machine and are to withstand a certain PSI to pass code.

If you are doing it your self, just do it hand tight and oil you rings first.

If you bought to unit already put together and are having problems Racor is replacing them free of charge as they know its a problem.

Back