Questions For Candidates

IronNoggin

For some strange reason, the thread I started in this regard appears to have disappeared?

What's up with that :confused:

At the risk of getting punted from here, a risk I am willing to take obviously, I am starting this one up again...

Apparently Global TV is offering a program in which voters can submit questions to be posed to candidates in the upcoming election.
The Email addresses I was given to send these to are: question@electiondebate2011.ca and weekendnews@globaltv.com
Methinks this presents us with another opportunity to get our questions a little more focus. Of course the more that ask them, the greater the chance they will be considered for inclusion. Thus I suggest that we all take advantage of this possibility, and take the few minutes it requires to fire off an Email to them in this regard!

Here is what I forwarded to them:

"I am writing to submit a few questions for consideration in your candidates question program. I would sincerely like to see these addressed, as they will very much effect the way myself and a lot of my friends decide to vote!

I am writing to seek each candidates' views on the challenges facing the recreational halibut fishery in BC.
Recognizing that the International Pacific Halibut Commission handles the matters related to conservation extremely well, I note that this is not a conservation issue, but rather focused on the current halibut Allocation Policy.

Here are the questions I have for each candidate:

- Do they and their Party support the present Privatization of Canada's Common Property halibut resource?

- Do they and their Party believe that Canada's recreational halibut anglers should have reasonable catch opportunities over the course of their normal fishing year?

- Do they and their Party believe that commercial halibut quota holders that do not personally fish halibut should be able to sell and/or lease their quota when they are no longer active participants in that fishery?

- Would they and their Party support the present recreational angler's individual halibut limit of two fish be able to be taken in one day?

To a great many of us on the Coast, these are very pressing issues at this point. It would be very desirable to understand the position of each candidate and their Parties regarding these matters, as it will certainly and directly effect the way in which a significant number of use decide to vote.

Thank you for your consideration in adding these questions in your " Ask a question of the candidates" programming!

Sincerely,
Me
"

Very good opportunity, and very easy to do! I sincerely hope each of us can find the few minutes it takes to help bring these matters to each candidates attention!

I would further suggest as I did in my original post about this, that we each take a moment and fire those same questions off to each of our own candidates in our home ridings. The more they get asked, the greater the likelihood of a response!

Cheers,
Matt

Yeah, what's up with that. I replied to that thread also earlier today.

Good on you for doing this Mat. Hope they allow you more than one question, otherwise they might nix you altogether.

I, too, had several topics concerning our West Coast fisheries but in the end decided to narrow it down to the one I am most passionate about above all others.

Anyone who knows me could easily guess my topic: fish-farming of course.

I rewrote the following about 10 times, with much critique (and brain damage) from my wife & son, trying to be concise and to the point and hopefully back some of these peckers up against the wall...

Question for Global’s Leadership Debate.

Wild Salmon Alliance
Victoria, BC

British Columbia’s Norwegian owned salmon farming industry produces appalling amounts of raw sewage, escaping alien fish and pandemic amounts of disease and parasites impacting Pacific salmon, as leader of Canada’s next government, what will you do to alleviate this threat?

Hopefully lots of other guys/gals write/send in a question also; it can only add great weight to the cause of bringing attention to the sad state of affairs with our precious Pacific fishery.

Opps, just noticed the thread is in the 'General' topic section. Suppose it should be here any how...

wondering the same thing.

From what I have been able to determine, there was a focused and deliberate attempt by one who obviously disagrees with my tactical suggestions to get the previous thread nuked. Unfortunately it appears that attempt was successful. :(

Let's hope that this one can stand the test, and that the disruptor has been restrained from attacking the message yet again. I do fear should it happen again I just might take the matter very personally...
5.gif

It is a very important issue folks, for it has great potential of spreading much farther than simply halibut. We MUST nip this in the bud before we all are reduced to dreaming about the Good Old Days from our armchairs!! Ensuring all of the candidates are aware of the issue, and demanding they clearly define their and their party's positions in this regard is an extremely worthwhile pursuit! I hope each and every one of us does so, and recruits as many as possible to follow suit!

United, we WILL carry the day!!

Cheers,
Nog

I sent Nogs letter from his original thread below to all three Victoria candidates and received one reply today.
Hope everyone calls the more the better.
HI, I'm working on Christopher Causton's Campaign and he asked me to draft a response to your questions. Unfortunately I know very little about issues between sports and commercial Halibut fishing. Could you give me a phone call to explain the issues more fully so I can brief Christopher to help him develop his position. My name is Tony Sheridan, my number is 250 477 4808. The best time to call is Monday evening, Tuesday or Wednesday morning, Thanks Tony
questions for fedral candidates
many from here have asked me if there is anything they could do to help out in the halibut allocation matter. And i have suggested the odd action in response. Here is likely amongst the best so far...

We are now facing down yet another federal election (sigh). And as foolish a waste of time, money and energy that exercise presents it does provide an couple of opportunities: First to make each candidate in our ridings aware of the issue. There are but a few who have any focus on the matter at hand, most remain blissfully unaware at this point. The second, and perhaps more significant of the two, is to determine their party's position regarding the ongoing privatization of public resources.

To that end, a letter of request has been drafted to both enlighten each candidate on the issue, and to directly request that each clarify their, and their party's positions in this regard. Below i have copied this letter and would strongly urge each one of you to fire off a copy to each one of the candidates in your own local riding:

As a constituent in the riding within which you are seeking election, i am writing to seek your views on the challenges facing the recreational halibut fishery in british columbia. As you may know, the bc sportfishing coalition has been raising the profile of the recreational halibut fishery for the past several months, and has organized a series of town hall meetings up and down the coast that have attracted standing room only attendance from thousands of voters across bc who want to know how they can ensure that recreational anglers will get reasonable access to the halibut resource that they all own as canadians.

The international pacific halibut commission (iphc) process handles all conservation issues very well. My concern is with the current halibut allocation policy only. This is not a conservation issue.

My questions for you are simple:

Do you support the present privatization of canada’s common property pacific halibut resource?

Do you believe that bc’s recreational halibut anglers should have reasonable catch opportunities over the course of their normal fishing season?

Do you believe that commercial halibut quota holders (slipper skippers) should be able to sell or lease their quota, even if they are no longer participants in the fishery?

Would you support that the present recreational angler’s individual halibut limit of two fish be able to be taken in one day?

Thank you in advance for your timely answers to these questions.

Sincerely,

while the coalition itself will be posing a similar set of questions, coming from voters within their own ridings may well help speed up their responses. I truly hope that most will take this advice to heart, and fire these questions off to those who aspire to win in each of your home ridings. Replies should be posted here for all to see, and i will ad in those that come in over the next little while...

Cheers,
nog

Back