Question re:Binoculars

Dogbreath

Well my old Bausch & Lomb 7x24 binocs have seen better days being as how they're 20+ years old.

I remember picking 7x because they were for use on the water and I didn't want anything too strong given the bouncing around that happens and 24 seemed like plenty of power-they're rubber coated too so water intrusion has never been an issue-looks like 7x24 is something of a rarity now though.

Naturally I'd like something somewhat similar-what are you Guys using out there?

Apart from the usual EBay sources where would you suggest shopping?

TIA

I bought steiner marine 7x50 from west marine, they were reasonable priced. Might get them a few points cheaper elsewhere but their service is good. Made in germany the optics and quality is outstanding.

Those Steiner marine glasses seem to run around 300 bucks...
whats the best product for a guy on a budget ?

There's a recent, excellent thread on binoculars for salt water use on the C-Dory boat forum - http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=19252. Image stabilization is the way to go if you can afford it. The Canons are good but there have been issues with them lasting and the service leaves something to be desired.

Maybe ask around about warranty's. I sent some bushnells away for repair and they have been gone for 3 months so far. Not that that is too long but I have not heard whether they are covered or not and they have a reputation of taking forever to respond to such claims. I have bushnell everything and this worrys me.

Leupold! Their warranty and customer service is second to none.

You don't even have to be an original purchaser or have a receipt. Be it a rifle-scope or bino's, send it to them and presto, they fix it for you at no-charge along with a 'Thank-you' for owning a Leupold product.

Their customer-service and loyalty simply blew-me-away!

Maybe ask around about warranty's. I sent some bushnells away for repair and they have been gone for 3 months so far. Not that that is too long but I have not heard whether they are covered or not and they have a reputation of taking forever to respond to such claims. I have bushnell everything and this worrys me.
That sounds similar to a problem a guy on the C-Brats had with his image stabilized Canon binocs. Took forever to get them repaired and after awhile, Canon was trying to tell him the repair was not covered under warranty and would cost almost as much as a new pair. As a result, he won't buy Canon again.

I 2nd the leupold vote. Stay away from Pentax....over priced junk and terible customer service on a product that doesnt stand up for the $ put fourth.

x3 on the Leupolds Carl. We have a pair of the Rogues @ work that replaced our Bausch and Lombs. Fairly cheap, the twist up eyecups are an improvement over the B&L's which is what finally went on the B&L's. Steiners are pretty highly recommended @ work too.

Leupold has my vote. If your on a budget, $150 will get you a pair in the 8x32'ish size range. Bought two pair as presents last Christmas and was impressed wth the glass, given the pricepoint.

optics are one of those items where you get what you pay for. some years ago, a dealer was closing out his entire Leica stock opting for items that would sell more rapidly. i snatched up a pair of armoured binos. i have yet to look through another manufacturers product and had the sort of WOW view. before you buy anything, take the time to look through as many different offerings as you can. i am sure you will begin to see the differences in optic quality. 8x50 is probably plenty for small boat use. the larger diameter elements will help you gather light when its dim or foggy. much bigger than 8 power and you will start to have trouble holding them steady. when you go check things out, i suggest you pick something to focus on that is about 20-30' away. pay attention to what detail you can actually see.

Got the new Leupold 8x25 unit today-what a deal-89.99 plus $14 shipping!

So clear/so sharp couldn't be happier-Thanks to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Leupold! Their warranty and customer service is second to none.

You don't even have to be an original purchaser or have a receipt. Be it a rifle-scope or bino's, send it to them and presto, they fix it for you at no-charge along with a 'Thank-you' for owning a Leupold product.

Their customer-service and loyalty simply blew-me-away!

Agreed. I've had a pair for over 20 years and bought my wife a pair three or four years ago. Love a pair of Zeiss or Swarovskis like my partners have but they run about $2200 now.
Dave

Back