Question about Waders

R

RVN10

Im really thinking of purchasing a float tube, problem is i need waders and those are just as expensive as the tube, is this right? i was looking at a pair of breathable ones but was told they wont work with tubes, and i need neoprene, im guessing the cold issue is the reason for neoprene ones, does anyone use breathables, or lightweight ones and not have a problem? can anyone help me let me know the best place to find the best deals on a pair of waders....in victoria/lower vancouver island

Thanks

Edited by - RVN10 on 12/26/2005 16:53:03

You don't need neoprene waders for use with a float tube. Floating in the water is no colder than standing in the water, and you have the advantage of not getting soaked in sweat when you want to hike in the breathables. Wear the right fleece garments under your breathables, and you'll be just as warm.

Paul

the problem with the breathables is not the cold water, its has to do with the back of the wader, with neos, they have a back that goes higher than just the chest level like the front but most of the breathables are one hieght all the way around, so if you look into the breathables make sure you get ones with the higher back

ensure the future

It all depends when your planning to fish in the float tube. If only in mid summer and early fall I find that breathables are O.K. but I have to wear neo's in the winter and spring. All depends on your cold tollerance too. Water compression on the stocking foot can be a problem as well squeezing the blood from your feet.
I've bought my last couple pair of breathables from Cabela's. With our stronger dollar now the prices can't be beat and the quality is excellent. For neo's, I've got a pair of Ospreys that are fantastic. 7 ml feet, 5 ml legs and 3 ml body. Great design and I've had 'em for years with no leaks.
I've also got a U-boat float tube, fins and booties for sale. Used very little. If your interested, contact me. I'm in Chemainus.

Back