question about nmea0183-2000 conversion

Klysons

I am hoping someone can help. I bought a standard horizon GX2100 AIS radio from a guy on here, and he said it just plugged into your network. When I get it here, the Nmea2000 plug is a female, and it is just crosswired into the Nmea1083 wires, without a convertor. Everything I find online shows a convertor is $250.
he has
0183 to 2000
brown to black
blue to red
green to white
grey to blue
and nothing from the shielded nmea2000 to the 0183.
I am not fond of letting the green smoke out, but this setup looks like it will poof something.
Is this doable? I also have I have 2 AS ETH NMEA2K - Humminbird NMEA 2000 Black Box and it looks like they do this, just waiting on confirmation from humminbird but I am not certain.

Attachments

• ais.jpg
    ais.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 12
The humminbird boxes convert proprietary humminbird ethernet into n2k signals. If you are looking to convert from n2k to nmea0183 or vice versa you need the converter, unless the two things you are looking to connect have both 0183 and 2000 inputs which some do....but they will be two separate physical connections.

Thank you. I was really hoping I would be able to use it to do this, good to know it is not the correct unit. That box will work to tie my hbird 1197c into my 2000 network though?

The humminbird boxes convert proprietary humminbird ethernet into n2k signals. If you are looking to convert from n2k to nmea0183 or vice versa you need the converter, unless the two things you are looking to connect have both 0183 and 2000 inputs which some do....but they will be two separate physical connections.
Ryan if I use this convertor on the hbird can I then connect it to my lowrance network, which is all nmea2000? It should be able to share the radar, point 1, etc right?

Also- does anyone know if you can use nmea2000 and 0183 at the same time with lowrance hds12 gen 3 at the same time? I want to connect my ais radio to my lowrance plotter if possible without another $250 connector

My previous boat had a Humminbird 1159. My autopilot install needed GPS data and navigation info. I opted to get the $200 actisense converter to convert my nmea0183 output to nmea 2k. I think the humminbird nmea2k box will work fine too, but it was more expensive.

If you use the n2k box, what the humminbird recognizes and sends to n2k won't necessarily be everything that's on the network. I would definitely talk to humminbird to confirm what will and will not be shared through n2k. I don't think you'll get your Lowrance radar signal.

Also- does anyone know if you can use nmea2000 and 0183 at the same time with lowrance hds12 gen 3 at the same time? I want to connect my ais radio to my lowrance plotter if possible without another $250 connector
Yes you can use both at same time, you need re-program the ports in the settings

Last edited:
Back